Morgan Stanley Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

3.1

314 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Walnut Creek, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

The first phone interview only lasted six minutes. The interviewer didn't ask about my skills, just about why I wanted the job. She spent most of the time going over the program and expectations. The second phone interview was with a recruiter. Again, I wasn't asked about my skills. I had to explain why I wanted the job, and most of the time he expected me to ask questions about the program. I was given a business plan to complete, and then called into the office for an interview. The interview was with the recruiter I had spoken with on the phone and the complex manager of the office. We mostly talked about my business plan and how the training program would go.

They don't really care about your background. They just want to know that you can sell their products and gain high net worth individuals. Be prepared with lots of questions for them about the job and training program.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.
      What drew you to this job?
      What are three target markets for your business plan?
      How do you plan on gaining clients?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

I got the initial interview from applying online. I did a logical reasoning and video assessment. The logical reasonings practice questions were available online, you should spend some time get familiar with the type of questions. I had a phone screening interview. The HR asked me about my qualifications and went through my resume with me. I then interviewed with their complex manager in the NY headquarter. The interview was very conversational. No hard questions. After couple week, I scheduled another interview with their MD. He was very straightforward about his expectations for the incoming associate. He said I need to interview with his again in the upcoming week.

Interview Questions

• What's your goal for the first year? How much AUM do you plan to bring to MSWM.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

I went to an on-site interview. I was interviewed by 5 people, each of whom took about 40 minutes. They were very kind and tried their best to make the environments as comfortable as possible. They did not expect me to answer all the questions. They gave me reasonable hints along the way. The difficulty level gradually increases.

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online, and completed a few assessments on reasoning and logic abilities. got an email two days later for a phone interview which was very conversational and easy. After the phone interview was contacted by the local branch for an in person interview, which I have not had yet.

Interview Questions

• What is your top three target market and how will you reach them?

Why do you want to work for Morgan Stanley?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2016.

Interview

First interviewed with the Branch Manager followed with a small group interview with two financial advisors (working as a team in the branch), then the Branch service manager, Assistant branch service manager, then finally the compliance officer. The whole ordeal lasted a little over 3 hours, but I will admit that it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. (something not on the resume)   1 Answer
    • Explain the personality types of the advisors and managers that you work with now.   Answer Question
    • How to you handle difficult clients.   Answer Question
    • How do you prioritize?   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

First, apply online, and do two assessments to see if you are the right person to be a financial advisor, phone interview by recruitor to ask some basic questions like how your past experience could benifet to your future role, and then asking to write a detailed business plan, finnally bring to a branch manager interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

Spoke with Advisor's I would be working with - they discussed the role and what they expected. Since you will be working directly for the advisors they want to make sure you are the right fit for their business. Then interviewed by middle management, this seemed to be more of them double checking what the advisor's thought.

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Durham, NC) in January 2016.

Interview

Interview began as typical behavioral interview (walk me through your resume, how do you handle pressure, do you have any concerns about investment banking). About halfway through, transitioned into more technical questions about accounting, markets, and testing my understanding of investment banking. The interview was extremely congenial and both the MD and the Associate were very helpful and encouraging throughout the interview process. The technical questions were typical--one that i received was: "walk me through each of the 3 financial statements when the firm records a $100 increase in depreciation"

Interview Questions

• What is a deal that you are following, give me a summary, and why does it interest you?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

Interview was standard...a phone screen and a couple in house interviews to meet with different members of the team. Everyone was very friendly - but the process itself took very long. Biggest complaint was that my contact in recruiting was not very knowledgeable on the role and couldn't really answer many of my questions. The interviews made up for that but it took a while.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my experience and path and assessed my fit for what was on the job spec... standard questions that made sense...nothing too tricky.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Miami, FL).

Interview

It is based on previous experience and future business plan to utilize your network. They want to know that you will be able to help them build the branch and be successful in your practice.