Morgan Stanley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 11, 2017

2.8

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

First was the phone interview- did not want to discuss salary although they knew what I was asking for. Felt as if people are all put through the ringer for a mediocre position. Interviewed with 5+ people from 8am until noon.

Interview Questions

• What did you find challenging in the previous position   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Walnut Creek, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

The first phone interview only lasted six minutes. The interviewer didn't ask about my skills, just about why I wanted the job. She spent most of the time going over the program and expectations. The second phone interview was with a recruiter. Again, I wasn't asked about my skills. I had to explain why I wanted the job, and most of the time he expected me to ask questions about the program. I was given a business plan to complete, and then called into the office for an interview. The interview was with the recruiter I had spoken with on the phone and the complex manager of the office. We mostly talked about my business plan and how the training program would go.

They don't really care about your background. They just want to know that you can sell their products and gain high net worth individuals. Be prepared with lots of questions for them about the job and training program.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.
      What drew you to this job?
      What are three target markets for your business plan?
      How do you plan on gaining clients?
      Answer Question

Research Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Got the on-site interview through an internal referral. The interview lasted 3 hours. Met 4 people: one associate, 2 executive directors and 1 MD. Associate asked the most technical questions: oil, strong dollar, retail sector, etc....the other three interviews were all casual behavioral talks.

Public Finance Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

2 phone interviews and a super day- took about 2 months. Phone interviews were a mix of behavioral and technical. Super day was not technical at all- all of the technical questions they asked were already asked during the phone interview process. Super day was 4 back to back 25 minute interviews (the process is probably slightly more intense for the NY position).

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between corporate and municipal bonds?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

long -The process was a very long process draw out over more than 6 weeks before contacted for in person interview after not knowing if would be selected or not selected

Registered Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Met with the branch manager in advance who called me back when the role I currently have became available. I had a 40 minute phone interview and was asked to come in for an in-person meeting. I then met with my current boss. He was decisive, the interview lasted about 30 minutes. I then met with compliance for a confirmation interview on Friday (the next day) and was offered the job on Sunday. There wasn't much time to give an answer.

Interview Questions

• What value add would you be to the team? Why do you want this job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered the salary cap for this position, so there wasn't any negotiation. When I requested a relocation stipend, I was denied because I was willing to move for the job, not transferred.

Quantitative Analyst Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Written exam was offered on campus in late September 2014, and consists of four parts: math(calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, probability), finance(derivative pricing: bond,option,future,Black-Scholes formula), math finance(Ito's calculus) and programming(C++ or Java). You just need to complete three areas of your choice, basically 1 minute per question according to the time budget. Problems are not hard if more time would be given. The result of this entry-level test will be out in two weeks, and followed by phone interview with a quant at Morgan Stanley.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

This Morgan Stanley Smith Barney interview was about 30 minutes long and featured purely behavioral questions. It was a conversation more than anything. I had the chance to ask questions of my own. At the end, I was tested by my interviewer to complete a cold call. There was a lot of transparency in the extent of my job function (cold-calling) as an intern. Think long and hard if you want this job, not for the prestige, but whether or not you would enjoy cold-calling for hours.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I directly emailed human resources my resume. They got back to me 2 months later asking for a phone interview. Basic behavioral questions and asked me basic real estate ideas. The next day the contacted me to come in for a "superday" the following week. I met with 8 interviewers, 2 per 30 minute session

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I was recommended through a friend. An FA contacted me via e-mail to set up a phone conversation. After the phone conversation, an in-person interview was set up. After an evaluation of my qualifications, they offered me the job.