Morgan Stanley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 16, 2017

2.8

36 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Very straightforward. Digital interview was something new for me and questions are mainly behavioral. I'm not sure that requiring young financial advisors to have a current network or you fail is the best way to go about things.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Menlo Park, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Fairly standard. 2 phone screenings + superday. They asked the expected IB questions including "Walk me through a DCF", "Tell me about yourself", and a few specific technicals regarding multiples in comparable company analysis and precedent transaction analysis.

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I submitted my application online, and a manager shortly contacted me afterwards. Without scheduling a good time with me beforehand, the manager called me out of the blue and started asking me interview questions like: "Tell me about yourself", "why are you interested in this position", etc.

I was pretty interested in the role so I had no problem chatting with the manager in that surprise phone call, but the whole thing felt odd to me, especially since the manager called me several times using a personal phone rather than a work phone.

Later on, I was asked to go on site for an interview. The interview process went pretty smoothly and I met a lot of the financial advisors who I would be working with if I got the job.

A week later, the same manager called me and told me that they would like to have me on the team. The manager gave me a rundown of what my compensation and benefits would look like and asked me if I could give a verbal confirmation of my acceptance during the phone call.

I was shocked because I was not expecting to give an answer right on the spot. I asked for some time to deliberate and the manager's tone changed. The manager asked me why I needed more time to consider the offer and told me that they expected me to accept it right away.

I pleaded for more time and I was given 24 hours. After careful thought, I decided to turn down the offer. I called back, and gave the manager the news and thanked them for the opportunity to interview with them.

The manager then yelled at me, telling me that I was a "complete waste of time" and that I was "extremely unprofessional". I apologized and the manager hung up on me.

Overall, my experience was unpleasant, but I am sure that this is not an accurate representation of Morgan Stanley as it is an esteemed institution. I wanted to share my experience because I want to encourage people to think carefully before accepting a job offer. Looking back, I really do believe that I had dodged a bullet. Again, it is more about the fit with the manager, rather than Morgan Stanley as a whole.

I guess what I am trying to say is: Don't let people bully you into saying yes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question
    • There is a lot of learning on the job. Can you tell me how you typically take notes or learn new things?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a client asked you to do something that was against regulations?   Answer Question

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Three interviews took about three weeks. they contact me through email and set up an phone interview. the first interview with the HR recruiter, second one with the financial advisor, and the last one with the senior portfolio manager. Overall I would say people at morgan stanley are really nice.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

First was the phone interview- did not want to discuss salary although they knew what I was asking for. Felt as if people are all put through the ringer for a mediocre position. Interviewed with 5+ people from 8am until noon.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Walnut Creek, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

The first phone interview only lasted six minutes. The interviewer didn't ask about my skills, just about why I wanted the job. She spent most of the time going over the program and expectations. The second phone interview was with a recruiter. Again, I wasn't asked about my skills. I had to explain why I wanted the job, and most of the time he expected me to ask questions about the program. I was given a business plan to complete, and then called into the office for an interview. The interview was with the recruiter I had spoken with on the phone and the complex manager of the office. We mostly talked about my business plan and how the training program would go.

They don't really care about your background. They just want to know that you can sell their products and gain high net worth individuals. Be prepared with lots of questions for them about the job and training program.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.
      What drew you to this job?
      What are three target markets for your business plan?
      How do you plan on gaining clients?   Answer Question

Research Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Got the on-site interview through an internal referral. The interview lasted 3 hours. Met 4 people: one associate, 2 executive directors and 1 MD. Associate asked the most technical questions: oil, strong dollar, retail sector, etc....the other three interviews were all casual behavioral talks.

Public Finance Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

2 phone interviews and a super day- took about 2 months. Phone interviews were a mix of behavioral and technical. Super day was not technical at all- all of the technical questions they asked were already asked during the phone interview process. Super day was 4 back to back 25 minute interviews (the process is probably slightly more intense for the NY position).

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between corporate and municipal bonds?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

long -The process was a very long process draw out over more than 6 weeks before contacted for in person interview after not knowing if would be selected or not selected

Registered Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Met with the branch manager in advance who called me back when the role I currently have became available. I had a 40 minute phone interview and was asked to come in for an in-person meeting. I then met with my current boss. He was decisive, the interview lasted about 30 minutes. I then met with compliance for a confirmation interview on Friday (the next day) and was offered the job on Sunday. There wasn't much time to give an answer.

Interview Questions

• What value add would you be to the team? Why do you want this job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered the salary cap for this position, so there wasn't any negotiation. When I requested a relocation stipend, I was denied because I was willing to move for the job, not transferred.