Morgan Stanley Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 2, 2018

3.3

53 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter. First round, interviewer asked in detail about my projects, my interests and why an I interested in joining Morgan Stanley. Interviewer told me they would be hiring me for machine learning position and explained in detail which machine learning problems their team is trying to solve. Round 2 was onsite at their NewYork Office.

I was told i will be interviewed for machine learning role but the interview were total unorganized. Total 3 rounds. None of the rounds had any structure and not even a single ML related problem was asked or any algorithms and data structure questions.

Most of the questions were from operating system, database and Java. Very bad experience, I still don't understand on what criteria they were accessing the candidate. I did answered the question but received a reject 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Various linux commands, operating systems questions like what is kernel, process thread etc.
    Couple of questions on SQL joins and what would be result for each join operation.
    Java object oriented principles, what is abstraction inheritance, use of super keyword, interfaces etc. Design class using all oop principles and explain why you choose to design this way.

Compute the square root of number without using mathematical operator.
    In a csv certain columns are stored. Read the csv, perform certain join operations and return the result.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I received an invitation via email to attend Technology Early Insights Day event which was essentially a presentation about Morgan Stanley from their current engineers. A few weeks later, I was invited for a final interview where I was interviewed by three engineers in an open-room view (there were other candidates being interviewed in the same venue)

Interview Questions

• A city had a network of traffic lights and you were tasked to check whether any of them is not working. You are given two methods that find all neighboring traffic lights and another method that checks if a particular traffic light is working or not.   Answer Question
    • Given an integer N, find the total sum of all numbers between 1 to N   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

The first round was coding problem tackling phone interview, which makes sense a lot. The interviewer was very helpful and intuitive. Then the second round, the questions were more on knowledge base on some of the jquery functions... I personally think this doesn't really tell my Software experience and ability since these are specific knowledge that you can look up on google. You need to test on how Software Engineer should tackle obstacles and how to proceed the thoughts and things NOT on specific knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Do you know ____? type of questions were nonsense. Give me a question to tackle down not pure knowledge you can find on Google.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Standard interview by investment banking firm. Emphasized on technology and experience from business knowledge aquired in previous companies. Pretty specific in their needs. After telephonic round, 2 round of interviews by 2 folks each.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in September 2014.

Interview

I signed up for the interview through my college's career system and they reviewed my resume online and accepted me for an interview in person at my college's career center. There was no HR interview and this was the first in a series of stages of interviews. This was primarily a technical interview and the interviewer will review your resume and then ask you technical based questions especially related to time complexity

Interview Questions

• Questions were asked on reversing a string, fibonacci numbers and time complexity of various data structures   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Telephone interview merely consisting of questions on concurrency and garbage collection. Also some questions on collections and project management. Very friendly interviewer who guided when needed. It was a nice experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied to a recruiter and got a phone interview. Interview was on Deadlock, Asked about how to avoid deadlock and how to detect them. The interviewer was very friendly and the interview was fluent. Not too technical questions but I think Morgan Stanley asks a lot on multithreading and since i am not too much into it , I don't expect it to move forward.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

HR was nice. but interviewer asked way too much detail. Problem solving was easy but very technical. No behavioral questions. All detailed technical.

Interview Questions

• How does JVM manage cyclic references? Does JVM collect variables that have cyclic references?
      What are different types of locks in multi-threading? Do you know about semaphore lock?
      What is a good hashcode? How to generate hashcode? How does map.put work?
      what is the complexity of hashtable?
      If you have a very large text file. You have comma separated characters. How do you know how many times a word appeared? How will you print the first maximum top 10 words.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2014.

Interview

I got the first round on campus. Interviews gave three questions about brain teaser. The first one is to find 1 item that has different weight among 8 items using scale. And then, I moved to final round. I met four interviewers each for 30 minutes. They gave questions from basic Java questions like Auto boxing, to practical questions such as sorting text files that has many columns, data tracking in DB for the chess game. It was good experience for me.

Interview Questions

• How to sort data in each columns in a file. Should put all data on memory.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

My resume was sent to the Hiring Manager, HR called me and phone interview was scheduled in 2 days.

On the 1 hour phone interview:
    what projects I worked on, on what parts specifically.
    Hashing, Equals question: see Java API rules, good hashing, what if return 0; how HashMap works. Collections, basic, synchronized, concurrent, efficiency. Threading, blocking queue, volatile.
    Problem solving: array with prices in time order, what is the worst buy-sell case? cant sell before buy.

Next Monday 4 times 1 hour long 1 to 1 interview.
    Java equlas, hashCode with examples. Final keyword in Java, final method, constructor in abstract class. Concurrency questions.
    Implement mergesort, impement printing (sub)folders, files, recursive, non-recursive,
    How to test a 3rd party library with multiple threads: completion service or blocking queue.
    4 employees in room, they want to know average salary without exposing it to anyone: how?