Morgan Stanley Technology Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 17, 2017

3.2

138 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technology Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

Hiring and interviewing process was very organized and smooth. HR were patient enough to answer all the queries before the interview. There were 4 rounds of interviews onsite, each of the interviewer gives a feedback about your performance to the HR.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Ithaca, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

It was a 30-min on-campus interview. I was first asked about resume and experiences, which lasted for about 10 minutes. Since I mentioned something about the power of ReactJS as a OOP javascript, the interviewer asked me to code in Java on that and explain what it does. For the coding part, only 5 minutes were allowed. The rest of the time we were talking about Morgan Stanley - interviewer's everyday life and projects.

Interview Questions

• Write something in Java that's related to my experiences.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Went to their super day, had three 1:1 45-minute interviews. The only behavioral questions I got for all three of them was, "tell me about yourself". 90% of the interviews were technical.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions ranged from knowledge questions (OOP, databases, your preferred language, operating system concepts, etc.), and some puzzles that required moderate comfortableness with stacks, linked lists, and dynamic programming.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

There was an information panel followed by three back-to-back interviews. The interviews were a mix of behavioral but were also heavily technical. The technical questions came directly from resume or were tangental to something I said relating to my resume.

Interview Questions

• How do you use an interface? When would you use an interface and when would you use abstraction?   Answer Question
    • Can you implement a quicksort algorithm?   Answer Question
    • Implement two stacks using one array.   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

I wanted to apply for the business analyst role but they had filled up all positions so I had to give the interview for app developer. It was completely technical even if it was the first round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Sent my resume online, and did some networking. This lead to my first phone interview. My first interview involved a mix of coding questions (I think it was on linkedlists) and some mathematical questions. I was also asked some brain teasers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

A 30min phone interview with a recruiter from Morgan Stanley. As soon as the interview started, the interviewer started asking in depth technical questions about a project from my resume.

Interview Questions

• How to call a servlet in a JSP??
      What methods are used to send user login data from login page to a servlet??
      What is the difference between Get and Post methods.
      Design a simple login page for a web application.

The above questions were asked, as I listed out a web application in my resume.

I was asked to develop a simple java program to read a file that consists of customerName,email,phoneNumeber and take sutomerName as an input from the user and display their email and phone. The interviewer was interested in the kind of data structure that I would use to store the data and how tom improve the search time.   Answer Question

Analyst - Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I received an invitation from a campus recruiter to apply to the 2017 Full Time Technology Program in New York. The recruiter was contacting me from Piazza.

After applying, they reviewed my resume within a week and a different recruiter emailed me asking for my availability for a phone interview on the Friday 3 days from when the email was sent. I gave her a range and suggested a few days in the following week. The phone interview time was selected for Friday. This recruiter kept our communication for the rest of the process.

I received a call from an Executive Director. Looking at her LinkedIn, she's held 3 positions at Morgan Stanley during her 16 years there. Previously, she was VP, and before that, she was an Associate, developing in C++ and Java. She asked me a STAR question and a couple of trivial technical questions.

The following Monday, I was congratulated for being selected for Assessment Center interviews on Thursday by Wall Street. I was going to be in Seattle that week, so I asked to postpone the onsite interviews. On Wednesday, I received a second invite for the following Tuesday, this time by Columbus Circle. I was asked to arrive by 12:45pm, but no later than 12:45pm and dress code was business formal.

When I arrived, I was seated alphabetically in a room on the 5th floor with maybe 25 potential candidates. Here, we were provided cold, dry pizza, potato chips, soda, water, and probably Entenmann's. We had a panel discussion with employees that were hired through this track that we were interviewing for. This was a good time to ask all sorts of informal questions.

Next, we went to an auditorium on the 4th floor and we were divided into teams. Each team was to build a bridge using gummy bears and toothpicks. We had a "mentor" for this activity, but he only took notes of our activity and asked questions. This didn't seem too serious, but just in case, they were probably looking for distributed workflow, and extensibility.

Finally, the actual interviews. In the same room, we were assigned 3 Software Engineers to rotate with and they each asked us coding questions.

At 5:15, we were done, and we filled out a survey listing our top 5 skills, confirming that we heard of this position from Piazza, and one more question. We were told that we will hear back with a decision within 2-3 weeks.

Behold! 8 business days and I received a sweet offer over the phone. I might have been able to log in to the application site to view the letter since the call, but I received an email letting me know that I could do so about a week later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a challenge you faced with this project.
      What is inheritance, polymorphism, and can you instantiate an abstract class? In Java, what would you change in a class to make it abstract?   Answer Question
    • With C++:
      What functions are automatically provided when you create a class? How would you define the function signatures if you wanted to define them?
      When would you use a pointer vs. a reference?
      What is the difference between pass by reference and pass by value?

Given a table with columns: user | start_date | end_date | code
      How would you find an entry for a user with start_date=A and end_date=B, and insert if it doesn't exist?   Answer Question
    • With Python:
      Find the second largest value in a list.
      Find the square root of a number without using math.sqrt()   Answer Question
    • We deal with large numbers, too large for an integer primitive type. So we represent integers with a singly linked list where each node contains a digit. But this representation does not come with an adding function. We need you to write this function.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY).

Interview

My resume was selected through career fair. I was called for the first round of interview. I really don't know the basis on which they select resumes. The process was simple. A half an hour first round. I do not know about the rest of the process as I wasn't selected for the second round. First round it not technical. Just a regular over-the-coffee kind of chit-chat.

Interview Questions

• Why Morgan Stanley? Describe the architecture of the web application you are building. Previous project experience, what you are interested in doing, what do you plan on achieving by pursuing this internship? All behavioural questions, nothing much technical. I had thought that I had done pretty well in the interview but yet I did not get a call.

The people at Morgan Stanley seem to be sweet and hard working. I feel I should work on improving my interview skills further. Nothing against Morgan Stanley, it is a really good company and it utilizes technology to make progress in its business. Cheers!   Answer Question

Analyst - Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Hoboken, NJ) in November 2016.

Interview

the interviewer tried to walk through my resume first. After finish talking about my first job listed, the interviewer seemed lost the appetite of my resume, then asked some behavioral questions.