Morningstar Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.9

152 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Facility Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morningstar (Elmhurst, IL).

Interview

Applied online. They contacted me by email about 60 days later. Had a phone screen with the Global Head of Facilities who works virtually from her home in Canada. Second phone screen with very junior talent acquisition rep was disrespectful and a waste of my time. I think they need to rethink who does the follow up interviews

Interview Questions

• Initial phone interview with Senior Director. Pleasant conversation but she asked me questions that made me wonder if she had my resume   Answer Question
    • Follow up phone screen with very junior talent acquisition specialist. Very flippant and disinterested.
      She was 15 minutes late calling me and sounded like she was calling from a bar with all the background noise. The questions she asked were those demographic questions you answer at the end of an application such as whether you are eligible to work in the US, do you need sponsorship to work in US etc. I expected the typical behavioral questions such as how do I deal with difficult people and so on. Gave me zero opportunity to describe my qualifications for the position. Ended what was supposed to be a 30 minute interview after 15 minutes   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Interview

Interviewed with 7 people back-to-back. Sat in one room as they cycled through one at a time for an hour each. Any one person has the ability to say "no". Long day but the interviews were friendly and fair.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied through university, got an in person interview that week, on sight interview with a group case and a few one on one interviews. Everyone is very friendly and make you feel very comfortable. I haven't heard yet

Interview Questions

• time when questions about leadership, conflict, teamwork   Answer Question

Manager Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

On the positive side, things moved quickly. There were no long waits after each interview. But the rest of the process was brutal. I think they make it brutal on purpose, but by the end I was dreading working with these people, and managed to be both disappointed and relieved that I didn't get offered.

The first contact I received was for a writing assignment; they gave me a case study, and asked me to write a 4-5 paragraph analysis of the mutual fund in the case study, including whether I'd recommend it to investors or not. It's timed at 2.5 hours via their web portal, and you need most of it to do a good job.

Apparently I did a good job, so I was invited to an on-site interview which took about an hour (I think the normal process is to have a phone screening before this, but my phone screening was the last step in the process for some reason). This was a relatively normal interview with background on your career, why you want to work at Morningstar, etc.

Past that stage, you receive instructions to pick a fund, and create a detailed presentation on why you'd recommend this fund to investors. You then are invited back to an in-person interview which is comprised of two 45-minute discussions identical to the first in-person interview, and then an hour-long segment where you present on the fund you've chosen and get absolutely ripped apart by a panel of directors and managers.

Finally, an intern calls you to tell you that they will not be moving ahead with your candidacy.

Like I said, this was an awful experience; I spent 20ish hours on this position, which is ridiculous. I have since spoken with 2 independent professional recruiters/headhunters, who seemed astonished that there are companies which still conduct the candidate process this way (my own experience bears this out). Couple this with rumors of below-average salaries and lowball offers, especially in the Chicago market. Maybe the interview process for other positions is better, but I doubt it. Kudos to all of the Morningstar employees who made it through this interview process: I highly recommend you change the way it works.

Interview Questions

• They ask you whether you NEED to be edited when you write.   1 Answer

Morningstar Response

Mar 8, 2017 – Head of Global Research

Thanks for sharing feedback on your interview experience with Morningstar’s Manager Research team. We thought it might be helpful to share some context around why we’ve designed the process to be... More

MDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Went to career fair at my uni, got an interview for the next day, then was offered the onsite immediately after. At the onsite there was a case study for half a day and interviews with multiple people for the other half. It was all behavioral questions. The case study put you in a group and you had to do a presentation then they ask you questions. The study is mostly to see how well you work in a group dynamic and how good you are at presenting/answering questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you worked in a group and it was successful   Answer Question
    • Tell about a time you worked in a group and it was unsuccessful   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through a university. Heard back in about 2 weeks for a scheduled Skype interview. It was very disappointing. My interviewer was a very recent intern-turned full time analyst that clearly had very little skill and experience in interviewing. I felt quite disrespected from this. The interviewer did not focus on any of my achievements, but rather focused on questions irrelevant to my skill set. In addition, the interviewer asked questions that were repetitive and unnecessary. I am actually glad I did not receive an offer because this reaffirms the type of people that they look to hire and illustrates they do not focus on intelligence or skill, as shown numerous places on this website.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, onsite interview.
    I was called to F2F on site. I met with a guy who said he is QA director. I do not why the company ask him to do technical interview. He seemed to be nervous asking technical questions. The whole interview was nothing about test automation at all. I do not know why the company choose someone who does not know automation at all to do automation interview. Maybe it is a fake position. Maybe they do not have anyone who really knows automation. I lost my interest during the interview and of course I choose to be not hired. Interview is a mutual process. This is not an environment I want to be.

Interview Questions

• There was not really technical questions asked at all.   1 Answer

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

i applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.The overall hiring process was excellent. HR team and Tech Team is very professional they want to see if you're the right fit for the team and company.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions- explain me the position you applied for? Why you're looking for a new role? Goals for next 5-10 years?
      Scenario based questions- Clients having certain issues and how you go about resolving it? What if you cant resolve it?
      Tech round- Resume based. Questions based on the technology and devices they currently have.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an email a week later asking for brief answers to video questions. Only three questions long and took about 10 minutes. Then had a phone screening that took 30 minutes. Heard back later that they were moving forward with more "local" applicants.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.