Morningstar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 19, 2017

2.9

Associate Software Engineer/Site Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woburn, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morningstar (Woburn, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

This post was at MorningStar Byallaccounts co, which is located in Woburn, MA.
    I applied online in December 2016. After a month, got a call from HR to schedule for phone screen. There was clear communication. Phone screen was around 45mins. After that, was not called for further rounds

Interview Questions

• Phone screen was around 45mins. General questions about your resume and specific job requirements.
      Questions on: HTML forms, Regular Expresion, Networking, Database.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an email a week later asking for brief answers to video questions. Only three questions long and took about 10 minutes. Then had a phone screening that took 30 minutes. Heard back later that they were moving forward with more "local" applicants.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

The overall hiring process was excellent. HR team and Tech Team is very professional they want to see if you're the right fit for the team and company.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions- explain me the position you applied for? Why you're looking for a new role? Goals for next 5-10 years?
      Scenario based questions- Clients having certain issues and how you go about resolving it? What if you cant resolve it?
      Tech round- Resume based. Questions based on the technology and devices they currently have.

Manager Research Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

I have applied for several roles at Morningstar. Once I've applied for all of them, my only point of contact within the company has been an undergraduate intern, and all attempts to interact with another HR person have been unsuccessful. To me, this shows a lack of respect for experienced candidates and suggests that most are not taken seriously. For my one in-person interview, I went from excited about the position when I showed up, to feeling like it would be impossible for the interview to go well from the second I attempted to make pre-interview small talk. My primary interviewer was so unpersonable that I still wonder if he was showing his real personality or putting on an act to rattle me. By all appearances and from what I've heard during a couple phone screens, I am well-qualified for a few positions I have applied for here. But I have gotten nowhere. Maybe I am legitimately not a good fit. I can live with that, but what frustrates me is that they refuse to give any helpful feedback regarding why. Because of this, several interactions I've had with Morningstar that could have been a learning experience ended up feeling like a waste of time. I have spent many hours applying for jobs here, but they will not allow me to have a few-minute conversation with a hiring decision-maker about how I fit their openings and what I could do to become a stronger candiate. While I have a strong resume and credentials and feel confident I would be a good asset for the company, it now seems pointless to apply here. The #1 goal of my job search for several months has been to get hired at Morningstar, but my interactions with them have made me lose a lot of respect for the company. I feel strongly that they are only able to attract good talent due to their name recognition and qualiy products, and in spite of their recruitment processes. If the employee experience is anythling like the candidate experience, I should feel grateful that I do not work here

Equity Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

Two-hour writing test, 30-minute call with HR, 30-minute stock presentation to two employees, 60-minute formal stock pitch (on a different company than the previous presentation) to 4 employees, phone call with department head.

Interview Questions

• Research a company and its stock. Present your findings in the form of a recommendation for the company.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Was referred to the program and sent an application online. Was contacted two days later to set up a Skype interview that consisted of entirely behavioral questions, lasted about 30 minutes. Heard back later that day that I was invited to the Super Day a week later. They send you a case study to prepare and a list of people you'll be interviewing with.

Day starts at 8:45am with breakfast and then there was a talk from a higher-up in the company. My group started with the case study and we had an hour to put together a presentation with three other people (four total). Presentation was 15 minutes with 15 minutes of questions. We had lunch with current members of the program and they were super casual and friendly. Afternoon was four individual interviews where they asked more behavioral questions. I found success and talking about what I do that's off my resume, they really just want to make sure you can work on a team and can fit in.

They said they would get back in two weeks. It's been about 10 days and I haven't heard back yet but I thought it went really well.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview process was divided into two parts.

First part contained 4 HR interviews. These interviews were conducted by people with technical background. Interviewers asked behavioral questions, questions based on resume, and few technical questions. Each interview lasted half hour.

In the second part candidates were divided into group of three and asked to code a problem on single system. We had to present our work and we were asked technical questions.

What I did not like about interview process was that, technical skills of candidate were not evaluated thoroughly as this role is technical there should have been process to evaluate technical skills of the candidate. Though group coding task was there, I am not sure how each candidate's technical skills can be evaluated in group task.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I got an initial interview through a hackathon where I had a one-on-one technical interview with an engineer from Morningstar.

Then I was invited to their headquarter located in Chicago downtown for the onsite interview. The interview extends from 9 in the morning to around 3 in the afternoon and is divided into two parts. The first part consists of 4 back-to-back interviews with the focus mainly on behavioral questions. The second part is a group coding task (for technical candidates, and I heard that for business candidates this is a group case analysis) where candidates were assigned into groups of 3 and coded on problems on the computers they provided. After the coding, each group conducted a 10-minute presentation on their implementations.

Interview Questions

• Describe how networks work.
      Describe a situation when you had conflict with your teammate and how you resolved the conflict.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I attended my campus career fair held on September 10th 2016 and stopped by at the Morningstar booth,I handed my resume and was told they will get back to us in couple of weeks.
    They send a "Thanks for stopping by" email on September 12th, 2016. On September 21st,2016 I received an email for scheduling a skype interview. The Skype interview was scheduled on September 22nd,2016 it was mainly behavioural they asked the following questions:
    1) Why Morningstar?
    2) What aspects of Data attract you?
    3) Tell me something on your resume that you are proud of?
    4) How well do you work in a team?
    After this interview, I was informed on September 24th,2016 that they would like to have me on-site at their Chicago office was an in-person interview on October 7th,2016.
    Travel and stay expenses are fully covered by Morningstar and as I live 3 hrs away from Chicago they flew me in on October 6th,2016 and booked me in at a hotel right across from their office. The day of the interview started at 8:30 am with breakfast, our group of 24 was then divided into 2 groups where one group would attend the coding challenge and the other would attend the scheduled interviews.I was put up with the coding challenge group first,the group of 12 was further divided into groups of 3 each and we were given a coding challenge of 3 scenarios.At the end of this challenge,we had to present our approach to a panel of senior Morningstar Development team (generally 1-2 years into the program).Both groups had lunch together (Coding Challenge group and Coding group) and then we proceeded towards the scheduled interviews.There are 4 interviews with various senior members of management where they try to gauge if you will be a right fit for their culture and office,it feels more like conversation and not an interview,they send you the profiles of the people you interview with well in advance so you know each person's expertise and can ask doubts or progress in their particular field at Morningstar,which I found was pretty cool because I knew the person well in advance before h walked into the room.The day ended with a short tour of their office at around 3:00pm.They told us we would hear back from them within two weeks,I haven't heard back so I am assuming I was not selected,If I still hear back I will update this section (Fingers Crossed!)Overall a great experience and I feel one should definitely join the company if given the opportunity! :)
    They also send you a personality quiz which affects your candidacy and has to be submitted within 2,3 days of the interview.

Application

Interview

A skype interview for about 30 minutes with behavioral questions. Then an onsite interview consisting of 4 interviews with different individuals, and a group case interview. The onsite interview was all day and they paid for everything. The interviews with the 4 individuals were all behavioral. The case analysis was done in groups of three with the other interviewers and then presented to a panel of judges. Basic case, as a non business major I didn't find it too difficult and they email it to you before hand so you can prepare.