Morningstar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Morningstar Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2017

2.8

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar in April 2017.

Interview

I applied for a position and got selected for the interview. The position was for Automation Testing. I cleared the first technical screening (where some automation related questions were asked) and HR screening. Got invite for a Skype interview and gave the interview. Most of the interviewers asked me general questions and one person asked a few technical questions which were generic in nature and not very specific to automation testing. I wasted half my day giving the interview. Two days later they call and say they were not able to give me an offer because they feel like I am a good fit for a manual testing position. I was surprised. How can they feel that way when i made clear to all the interviewers that my experience is specifically in automation and i worked with both HP tools and Selenium. They didn't even ask me any automation testing related technical questions. I even explained them what i did with respect to automation when a question was asked about what was the challenging thing, that I did during my work experience. I would not have felt bad if they gave the reason for my rejection as something like i didn't have enough automation skills with respect to what they were looking for. But, the reason they gave me was very de-motivating. Very bad interview experience.

Note to the recruiters: Make the interview process and feedback more clear. Some candidates have real technical skills and it's really a shame if those skills are not truly tested with irrelevant questions and demotivating interview feedback.

Interview Questions

• Some questions that were asked were:

1. How do you connect to a database to get data?
      2. How do you do cross browser testing?

etc.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morningstar in April 2017.

Interview

The first step is a phone interview with HR. They will generally call and leave a voicemail, but are also responsive via email. If you make it past HR, the next step is by a 2.5 hour in person interview with 4-5 people.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted the job and they asked if I was aware of any recent developments in the field I was applying for.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

Lame. Since when did we get so pompous as a company to require video "interviews"? I helped a recent candidate apply to MDP, and this person happens to be a little camera shy. So what? She wasn't trying to get a spot on MTV's Real World. You basically disregarded her education and prior experience with Morningstar Direct because you didn't like how she appeared on screen. So lame.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you're proud of?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

1. Career Fair at my university. I was able to talk to real employees, show them my resume. Submitted application through their system.

2. 30 min Skype Interview. Interviewer was really nice. Asked some typical questions for interviews.

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied through university, got an in person interview that week, on sight interview with a group case and a few one on one interviews. Everyone is very friendly and make you feel very comfortable. I haven't heard yet

Interview Questions

• time when questions about leadership, conflict, teamwork   Answer Question

Manager Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

On the positive side, things moved quickly. There were no long waits after each interview. But the rest of the process was brutal. I think they make it brutal on purpose, but by the end I was dreading working with these people, and managed to be both disappointed and relieved that I didn't get offered.

The first contact I received was for a writing assignment; they gave me a case study, and asked me to write a 4-5 paragraph analysis of the mutual fund in the case study, including whether I'd recommend it to investors or not. It's timed at 2.5 hours via their web portal, and you need most of it to do a good job.

Apparently I did a good job, so I was invited to an on-site interview which took about an hour (I think the normal process is to have a phone screening before this, but my phone screening was the last step in the process for some reason). This was a relatively normal interview with background on your career, why you want to work at Morningstar, etc.

Past that stage, you receive instructions to pick a fund, and create a detailed presentation on why you'd recommend this fund to investors. You then are invited back to an in-person interview which is comprised of two 45-minute discussions identical to the first in-person interview, and then an hour-long segment where you present on the fund you've chosen and get absolutely ripped apart by a panel of directors and managers.

Finally, an intern calls you to tell you that they will not be moving ahead with your candidacy.

Like I said, this was an awful experience; I spent 20ish hours on this position, which is ridiculous. I have since spoken with 2 independent professional recruiters/headhunters, who seemed astonished that there are companies which still conduct the candidate process this way (my own experience bears this out). Couple this with rumors of below-average salaries and lowball offers, especially in the Chicago market. Maybe the interview process for other positions is better, but I doubt it. Kudos to all of the Morningstar employees who made it through this interview process: I highly recommend you change the way it works.

Interview Questions

• They ask you whether you NEED to be edited when you write.   1 Answer

Morningstar Response

Mar 8, 2017 – Head of Global Research

Thanks for sharing feedback on your interview experience with Morningstar’s Manager Research team. We thought it might be helpful to share some context around why we’ve designed the process to be... More

MDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Went to career fair at my uni, got an interview for the next day, then was offered the onsite immediately after. At the onsite there was a case study for half a day and interviews with multiple people for the other half. It was all behavioral questions. The case study put you in a group and you had to do a presentation then they ask you questions. The study is mostly to see how well you work in a group dynamic and how good you are at presenting/answering questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you worked in a group and it was successful   Answer Question
    • Tell about a time you worked in a group and it was unsuccessful   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Morningstar in February 2017.

Interview

I received a mail for video interview. In the video interview I was asked to answer 3 behavioral questions and had to answer them within a time constraint. Overall good learning experience.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Boston, MA).

Interview

The interview was with ByAllAccounts, Boston which looks like a startup acquired by Morningstar. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager, followed by a conversation with HR and an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of conversation with around 6 people. Not too technical but there were easy programming tech questions. The company consists of employees working for a long time and they are proud of that and some of them come as arrogant. The company is very stingy and the employees do not shy away from this fact (They say the company is conservative in terms of spending). As an example they did not even offer to pay for my travel to the onsite interview, while I had interviews with other competing companies who did offer to pay for travel. The conversation with the interviewers was good and in my opinion I think a prospective candidate with the age greater than 40 years might be good fit for them even for an entry level position. Also, the office is not at all diverse, they seem to have their own bubble. Overall the process was good, but sometimes appears as though they were doing a trial run for future interviews.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar in February 2017.

Interview

I met a current associate at my University career fair and we chatted briefly about the company. She scanned my resume and had me fill out some basic information on a tablet. A week later I received an email offering me a campus interview. The website made it unclear where and when the interview was to be held but the recruiting team was prompt to respond to an email. I met on campus with a recruiter and had a 30 minute behavioral interview. She asked me a lot of standard behavioral interview questions and gave me the opportunity to ask questions about her experience at the company. I received an email three days later letting me know that they were pursuing other candidates for the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to work with someone challenging.
      What is the most common misconception about you?
      Why Morningstar?
      Tell me about a successful team you were a part of.
      What is something not on your resume that you're proud of?   Answer Question