Morningstar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 11, 2017

2.9

Morningstar Development Program Technology Track Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process started with an email from a recruiter inviting me to a techincal skype interview. I was scheduled for a techincal interview but due to scheduling errors from the Morningstar's recruiting team someone was a non technical lady called me. She was surprised that I was being interviewed for techincal role.

However the lady asked me few behavioral questions and told that she will notify the recruiting team that my technical part is left. Few days later a recruiter contacted me that I am invited for an onsite interview and all my technical abilities would be accessed there.

Onsite Interview had 4 personal interviews and 1 team based coding challenge
    All the 4 personal interviews were behavioral interviews and all of them asked me almost similar questions which I answered really well.
    The team based coding challenge was to solve a design problem in 75 minutes on Eclipse environment.

After the interview I was told that I would be notified of the decision within 7 days. However after 7 days a recruiter contacted me that before making a final decision I have to undergo another technical phone screen to be consistent with other candidates as I never had a technical phone screen earlier. I was really embarrassed with this process as the recruiters were not able to stick to their words and generally onsite interview is the final interview in the process.

I scheduled it the very next day. The interviewer of the phone interview was very rude. I explained him my machine learning project where there was no database related work at all. However he still went on asking about indexes which I never used. Then few behavioral question pretty much the same as onsite interviews.

I was then rejected couple of days later. This is a truly unprofessional process by Morningstar. Further seems like they don't hire smart people with strong Computer Science knowledge as all of their interviews are really behavioral and less technical. If you are interested in technical role I really advice you not to waste your time in interviewing for Morningstar MDP role.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions ,questions on indexes of Database and threads   Answer Question

Morningstar Response

Nov 14, 2016

Thanks for your feedback. We’re sorry that your experience was less than stellar as it’s certainly not what we aspire to as a first impression of our company. Unfortunately we do occasionally make... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Who date on-site interview with one case interview and 4 sets of behavioral questions.

I am still waiting for their response since they said they will give out a response in Nov and there are so many candidates this year. The people there are really nice and the culture is very supportive.

Interview Questions

• 1. Your previous mistake 2. Your proud thing 3. Your projects 4. Your team work experiences and how you deal with conflicts   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar in October 2016.

Interview

1st round: Skype video interview - 30 min, received the invitation 2 days after the job application. Normal behavioral questions, very relaxed and straightforward!

Received the on-site interview invitation 1 day after, which was scheduled one week later. During the waiting, I received emails from Morningstar, included the interview instruction in every detail and the invitation to take the Hogan Personality Assessment.

Then came the Super-day in Chicago. I arrived early, had breakfast there, briefly talked with other candidates and listened to the presentation from the CEO, very interesting topics were covered, after the presentation, we had the chance to ask questions, and the CEO was very nice and he knows a lot, like really a lot! So I suggest you pay attention to his lecture and bring good questions! Then the real interviews began at 10am. There were 4 1:1 30min interviews back to back and 1 group coding challenge. During the 1:1 interviews, I talked with different team leaders, all were very supportive and extremely nice!!! The conversations were mostly behavioral, but I would suggest you be prepared for answering any technical questions especially related to your experience. Then, from 12 - 1pm, had lunch in the hall, (they prepared vegan food as well :) no worries) In the afternoon I was paired with other candidates, we were assigned with 3 scenarios to complete within 75 min then presented our solutions. I would suggest just be who you really are as if it's a team project at school, be truthful to yourself, be kind to each other, play no tricks and serve justice. The day ended at 3pm.

Received a phone call 2 weeks later, was told to have been extended with an offer, then received the offer letter through email, talked with the HR and the lawyers, I did not negotiate. then the background check which may last up to a week, please be prepared to provide supporting materials like paychecks and transcripts.

The overall hiring process was very well organized and the company's decorations were modern and pleasant. You will be able to meet amazing employees and make friends with other candidates. Wish everyone good luck!

Interview Questions

• Normal behavioral questions, some technical questions related to your experience, follow-up questions regarding your answers.   1 Answer

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through university career fair and got an interview the next day. The on-campus interview was very conversational, positive experience. And superday the next week in the HQ in Chicago. Got a case presentation in the morning and four back to back interviews in the afternoon. The entire experience was positive, people are really nice. I thought I did pretty well, but got a rejection phone call three weeks after the superday.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you have limited resources in hand.
      How do you set the bar for yourself?
      Standard behavioral questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

There are two rounds of interviews. First one I did the skype interview with a HR, basically behavioral questions and walked through the resume. However, the HR was not so responsible and left me with really bad impression, she seems super sleepy and not interested at all even when the interview just started. The second round is on-site doing case study in a team and interview with several employees in the company.

Interview Questions

• What challenges you have faced working in a team? What is your most creative moment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Met someone from HR at the university career fair and was invited for an interview right away. First round was a 30 minute behavioral with one of the HR people who run the MDP recruitment process. Very straightforward. Was notified later that day about final round interview on-site. Started with 4 back-to-back 30 minute behavioral interviews by different levels of people at Morningstar, mostly all people with 5-10 years of experience. Then there was a group case, 1 hour to prep with 2-3 other people and each group presents for 15 minutes, and the panel asks you questions at the end. Took about a month to get back with the final offer.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Very straight forward. A lot of behavioral and fit questions. The Final day was pretty intense. Half of the day was a group case study and the other half was 5 one on one 30 minute interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you?

What books have you recently read?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

the process took 2.0 months. I was called for an interview after I attended a career fair. The first round was technical and the final round was onsite at their office in Chicago. The final round consisted of 2 HR one on one interviews and then a group coding challenge. They gave out their decisions on voicemail. It was a reject for me although everything went well

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with a manager followed by onsite interview with different company managers and a case study. Great environment and interviewing experience. Interviewers were interesting and engaged trying to find the best candidates for the program.

MDP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Had met a Morningstar employee at a career fair and was told to apply online. Believe it was just submitting a resume for first step, then had a 30 minute Skype interview. After maximum one week, I got an email inviting me to an interview day at the office in downtown Chicago and told me to prepare to present a case that was sent ahead of time. There were four 30-minute interviews back to back and then you get in a group of 3-4 candidates and prepare a Powerpoint and then present your results to employees. Heard back through a phone call 2-3 weeks after that.