Morningstar Morningstar Development Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Morningstar Morningstar Development Program Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied through university, got an in person interview that week, on sight interview with a group case and a few one on one interviews. Everyone is very friendly and make you feel very comfortable. I haven't heard yet

Interview Questions

• time when questions about leadership, conflict, teamwork   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Morningstar

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through a university. Heard back in about 2 weeks for a scheduled Skype interview. It was very disappointing. My interviewer was a very recent intern-turned full time analyst that clearly had very little skill and experience in interviewing. I felt quite disrespected from this. The interviewer did not focus on any of my achievements, but rather focused on questions irrelevant to my skill set. In addition, the interviewer asked questions that were repetitive and unnecessary. I am actually glad I did not receive an offer because this reaffirms the type of people that they look to hire and illustrates they do not focus on intelligence or skill, as shown numerous places on this website.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an email a week later asking for brief answers to video questions. Only three questions long and took about 10 minutes. Then had a phone screening that took 30 minutes. Heard back later that they were moving forward with more "local" applicants.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Was referred to the program and sent an application online. Was contacted two days later to set up a Skype interview that consisted of entirely behavioral questions, lasted about 30 minutes. Heard back later that day that I was invited to the Super Day a week later. They send you a case study to prepare and a list of people you'll be interviewing with.

Day starts at 8:45am with breakfast and then there was a talk from a higher-up in the company. My group started with the case study and we had an hour to put together a presentation with three other people (four total). Presentation was 15 minutes with 15 minutes of questions. We had lunch with current members of the program and they were super casual and friendly. Afternoon was four individual interviews where they asked more behavioral questions. I found success and talking about what I do that's off my resume, they really just want to make sure you can work on a team and can fit in.

They said they would get back in two weeks. It's been about 10 days and I haven't heard back yet but I thought it went really well.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview process was divided into two parts.

First part contained 4 HR interviews. These interviews were conducted by people with technical background. Interviewers asked behavioral questions, questions based on resume, and few technical questions. Each interview lasted half hour.

In the second part candidates were divided into group of three and asked to code a problem on single system. We had to present our work and we were asked technical questions.

What I did not like about interview process was that, technical skills of candidate were not evaluated thoroughly as this role is technical there should have been process to evaluate technical skills of the candidate. Though group coding task was there, I am not sure how each candidate's technical skills can be evaluated in group task.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I got an initial interview through a hackathon where I had a one-on-one technical interview with an engineer from Morningstar.

Then I was invited to their headquarter located in Chicago downtown for the onsite interview. The interview extends from 9 in the morning to around 3 in the afternoon and is divided into two parts. The first part consists of 4 back-to-back interviews with the focus mainly on behavioral questions. The second part is a group coding task (for technical candidates, and I heard that for business candidates this is a group case analysis) where candidates were assigned into groups of 3 and coded on problems on the computers they provided. After the coding, each group conducted a 10-minute presentation on their implementations.

Interview Questions

• Describe how networks work.
      Describe a situation when you had conflict with your teammate and how you resolved the conflict.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I attended my campus career fair held on September 10th 2016 and stopped by at the Morningstar booth,I handed my resume and was told they will get back to us in couple of weeks.
    They send a "Thanks for stopping by" email on September 12th, 2016. On September 21st,2016 I received an email for scheduling a skype interview. The Skype interview was scheduled on September 22nd,2016 it was mainly behavioural they asked the following questions:
    1) Why Morningstar?
    2) What aspects of Data attract you?
    3) Tell me something on your resume that you are proud of?
    4) How well do you work in a team?
    After this interview, I was informed on September 24th,2016 that they would like to have me on-site at their Chicago office was an in-person interview on October 7th,2016.
    Travel and stay expenses are fully covered by Morningstar and as I live 3 hrs away from Chicago they flew me in on October 6th,2016 and booked me in at a hotel right across from their office. The day of the interview started at 8:30 am with breakfast, our group of 24 was then divided into 2 groups where one group would attend the coding challenge and the other would attend the scheduled interviews.I was put up with the coding challenge group first,the group of 12 was further divided into groups of 3 each and we were given a coding challenge of 3 scenarios.At the end of this challenge,we had to present our approach to a panel of senior Morningstar Development team (generally 1-2 years into the program).Both groups had lunch together (Coding Challenge group and Coding group) and then we proceeded towards the scheduled interviews.There are 4 interviews with various senior members of management where they try to gauge if you will be a right fit for their culture and office,it feels more like conversation and not an interview,they send you the profiles of the people you interview with well in advance so you know each person's expertise and can ask doubts or progress in their particular field at Morningstar,which I found was pretty cool because I knew the person well in advance before h walked into the room.The day ended with a short tour of their office at around 3:00pm.They told us we would hear back from them within two weeks,I haven't heard back so I am assuming I was not selected,If I still hear back I will update this section (Fingers Crossed!)Overall a great experience and I feel one should definitely join the company if given the opportunity! :)
    They also send you a personality quiz which affects your candidacy and has to be submitted within 2,3 days of the interview.

Application

Interview

A skype interview for about 30 minutes with behavioral questions. Then an onsite interview consisting of 4 interviews with different individuals, and a group case interview. The onsite interview was all day and they paid for everything. The interviews with the 4 individuals were all behavioral. The case analysis was done in groups of three with the other interviewers and then presented to a panel of judges. Basic case, as a non business major I didn't find it too difficult and they email it to you before hand so you can prepare.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied and interviewed in October 2016. About a week after I submitted my application through my college recruiting website, I was notified that my application was selected for an interview. The first round interview was all behavioral, with very typical questions such as why you want to work for Morningstar, etc. About four days after the first round interview I was invited back for the final round interview at Morningstar. In the email they included a case that we would have to present (in groups of three), a link to two personality tests and the bios of the four people who were going to interview us. Overall it was very straightforward: the case was more about how you work together with others, and the interviews were all behavioral; it seemed as though all of the people who interviewed me were looking to see if I was a good fit for the position rather than "qualified" by asking technical questions. In all, the interviews were a good experience. They did say that they would let us know in a week if we got the job or not and I have not heard anything since (its been about two weeks). Whether this means that I did not get the job or they have not decided yet is unclear, but hopefully they will tell us either way. I will update this if I find out.

Interview Questions

• Why Morningstar? Tell me about a time you worked in a group? Tell me a time you disagreed with somebody in a group and how did you resolve the issue?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online, skype interview, super day that involved a group case where you made your recommendation based on team decisions and information given the night before by building a slide deck and presenting to employees and other candidates. Also 4 30 minute behavioral interviews in a row where interviewers pretty much have free reign. Interesting questions asked.