Morningstar Morningstar Development Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Morningstar Morningstar Development Program Interview Questions

Interviews at Morningstar

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

A skype interview for about 30 minutes with behavioral questions. Then an onsite interview consisting of 4 interviews with different individuals, and a group case interview. The onsite interview was all day and they paid for everything. The interviews with the 4 individuals were all behavioral. The case analysis was done in groups of three with the other interviewers and then presented to a panel of judges. Basic case, as a non business major I didn't find it too difficult and they email it to you before hand so you can prepare.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Morningstar

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online, skype interview, super day that involved a group case where you made your recommendation based on team decisions and information given the night before by building a slide deck and presenting to employees and other candidates. Also 4 30 minute behavioral interviews in a row where interviewers pretty much have free reign. Interesting questions asked.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied and interviewed in October 2016. About a week after I submitted my application through my college recruiting website, I was notified that my application was selected for an interview. The first round interview was all behavioral, with very typical questions such as why you want to work for Morningstar, etc. About four days after the first round interview I was invited back for the final round interview at Morningstar. In the email they included a case that we would have to present (in groups of three), a link to two personality tests and the bios of the four people who were going to interview us. Overall it was very straightforward: the case was more about how you work together with others, and the interviews were all behavioral; it seemed as though all of the people who interviewed me were looking to see if I was a good fit for the position rather than "qualified" by asking technical questions. In all, the interviews were a good experience. They did say that they would let us know in a week if we got the job or not and I have not heard anything since (its been about two weeks). Whether this means that I did not get the job or they have not decided yet is unclear, but hopefully they will tell us either way. I will update this if I find out.

Interview Questions

• Why Morningstar? Tell me about a time you worked in a group? Tell me a time you disagreed with somebody in a group and how did you resolve the issue?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

I attended my campus career fair held on September 10th 2016 and stopped by at the Morningstar booth,I handed my resume and was told they will get back to us in couple of weeks.
    They send a "Thanks for stopping by" email on September 12th, 2016. On September 21st,2016 I received an email for scheduling a skype interview. The Skype interview was scheduled on September 22nd,2016 it was mainly behavioural they asked the following questions:
    1) Why Morningstar?
    2) What aspects of Data attract you?
    3) Tell me something on your resume that you are proud of?
    4) How well do you work in a team?
    After this interview, I was informed on September 24th,2016 that they would like to have me on-site at their Chicago office was an in-person interview on October 7th,2016.
    Travel and stay expenses are fully covered by Morningstar and as I live 3 hrs away from Chicago they flew me in on October 6th,2016 and booked me in at a hotel right across from their office. The day of the interview started at 8:30 am with breakfast, our group of 24 was then divided into 2 groups where one group would attend the coding challenge and the other would attend the scheduled interviews.I was put up with the coding challenge group first,the group of 12 was further divided into groups of 3 each and we were given a coding challenge of 3 scenarios.At the end of this challenge,we had to present our approach to a panel of senior Morningstar Development team (generally 1-2 years into the program).Both groups had lunch together (Coding Challenge group and Coding group) and then we proceeded towards the scheduled interviews.There are 4 interviews with various senior members of management where they try to gauge if you will be a right fit for their culture and office,it feels more like conversation and not an interview,they send you the profiles of the people you interview with well in advance so you know each person's expertise and can ask doubts or progress in their particular field at Morningstar,which I found was pretty cool because I knew the person well in advance before h walked into the room.The day ended with a short tour of their office at around 3:00pm.They told us we would hear back from them within two weeks,I haven't heard back so I am assuming I was not selected,If I still hear back I will update this section (Fingers Crossed!)Overall a great experience and I feel one should definitely join the company if given the opportunity! :)
    They also send you a personality quiz which affects your candidacy and has to be submitted within 2,3 days of the interview.

Application

Interview

Who date on-site interview with one case interview and 4 sets of behavioral questions.

I am still waiting for their response since they said they will give out a response in Nov and there are so many candidates this year. The people there are really nice and the culture is very supportive.

Interview Questions

• 1. Your previous mistake 2. Your proud thing 3. Your projects 4. Your team work experiences and how you deal with conflicts   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

One behavioral on-campus interview followed by super day in Chicago. The super day consisted of four behavioral interviews and one case study. The case study was not terribly hard but I would recommend you come ready to prepare.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you worked in a team and another team member disagreed with you?   1 Answer

Morningstar Response

Oct 12, 2016

Thanks for your feedback on our recruiting process for entry-level candidates (the “Morningstar Development Program”). Over many years, we’ve built and improved this program and our process for... More

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar in October 2016.

Interview

1st round: Skype video interview - 30 min, received the invitation 2 days after the job application. Normal behavioral questions, very relaxed and straightforward!

Received the on-site interview invitation 1 day after, which was scheduled one week later. During the waiting, I received emails from Morningstar, included the interview instruction in every detail and the invitation to take the Hogan Personality Assessment.

Then came the Super-day in Chicago. I arrived early, had breakfast there, briefly talked with other candidates and listened to the presentation from the CEO, very interesting topics were covered, after the presentation, we had the chance to ask questions, and the CEO was very nice and he knows a lot, like really a lot! So I suggest you pay attention to his lecture and bring good questions! Then the real interviews began at 10am. There were 4 1:1 30min interviews back to back and 1 group coding challenge. During the 1:1 interviews, I talked with different team leaders, all were very supportive and extremely nice!!! The conversations were mostly behavioral, but I would suggest you be prepared for answering any technical questions especially related to your experience. Then, from 12 - 1pm, had lunch in the hall, (they prepared vegan food as well :) no worries) In the afternoon I was paired with other candidates, we were assigned with 3 scenarios to complete within 75 min then presented our solutions. I would suggest just be who you really are as if it's a team project at school, be truthful to yourself, be kind to each other, play no tricks and serve justice. The day ended at 3pm.

Received a phone call 2 weeks later, was told to have been extended with an offer, then received the offer letter through email, talked with the HR and the lawyers, I did not negotiate. then the background check which may last up to a week, please be prepared to provide supporting materials like paychecks and transcripts.

The overall hiring process was very well organized and the company's decorations were modern and pleasant. You will be able to meet amazing employees and make friends with other candidates. Wish everyone good luck!

Interview Questions

• Normal behavioral questions, some technical questions related to your experience, follow-up questions regarding your answers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

There are two rounds of interviews. First one I did the skype interview with a HR, basically behavioral questions and walked through the resume. However, the HR was not so responsible and left me with really bad impression, she seems super sleepy and not interested at all even when the interview just started. The second round is on-site doing case study in a team and interview with several employees in the company.

Interview Questions

• What challenges you have faced working in a team? What is your most creative moment?   Answer Question

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through university career fair and got an interview the next day. The on-campus interview was very conversational, positive experience. And superday the next week in the HQ in Chicago. Got a case presentation in the morning and four back to back interviews in the afternoon. The entire experience was positive, people are really nice. I thought I did pretty well, but got a rejection phone call three weeks after the superday.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you have limited resources in hand.
      How do you set the bar for yourself?
      Standard behavioral questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Was referred to the program and sent an application online. Was contacted two days later to set up a Skype interview that consisted of entirely behavioral questions, lasted about 30 minutes. Heard back later that day that I was invited to the Super Day a week later. They send you a case study to prepare and a list of people you'll be interviewing with.

Day starts at 8:45am with breakfast and then there was a talk from a higher-up in the company. My group started with the case study and we had an hour to put together a presentation with three other people (four total). Presentation was 15 minutes with 15 minutes of questions. We had lunch with current members of the program and they were super casual and friendly. Afternoon was four individual interviews where they asked more behavioral questions. I found success and talking about what I do that's off my resume, they really just want to make sure you can work on a team and can fit in.

They said they would get back in two weeks. It's been about 10 days and I haven't heard back yet but I thought it went really well.