Morningstar Morningstar Development Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 1, 2018

2.7

83 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Interview

Phone interview and now going to final interview in Chicago. Will update this review once I go there. Interviewer was late to the phone interview session, and we spent most of the time actually talking about his role in the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you faced a challenge how did you overcome it   Answer Question
  • Was there anytime you disagreed with a person and what did you do?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Morningstar

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in December 2017.

Interview

Overall a pleasant experience. The first round was a video interview with prerecorded questions. Nothing crazy, just three basic questions. What was nice was that you get three attempts per question, so you can always rethink your answer or take time to think it over. Afterwards, I was invited to schedule a Skype interview. The lady who interviewed me was very friendly and relaxed. Questions were strictly behavioral. I was invited about a month later to the final round in their Chicago office.

Overall I thought the experience there was really great. It was a beautiful office and it was a great way for those interviewing to meet employees and learn about Morningstar as much as it was for them to learn about us. First we listened to a little speech from one of the company executives who told us about her story with Morningstar and a bit more about the company. They then broke up the technical and business track MDP applicants, having technical do their one-on-one interviews in the morning while we business track applicants did our case study. They emailed us the case study a few days before the interview, so there was time to do ample research on the topic. There was then an hour to prepare a small presentation with two other group members (in my case), and then present it to a panel of current MDPs and a few HR employees. At the end of the presentation, they asked a few questions, and then we watched the other group present.

They then served us lunch and let us socialize with current MDPs. They were all really friendly, reassuring, and happy to answer any questions. In the afternoon were four back-to-back individual interviews (30 minutes each). They give you the names of the employees you interview with in the same email as the case study, so I did a bit of research on each person before going in. As far as questions, it was pretty much the same as the Skype interview – very behavioral. Interviewers were all very friendly and each interview seemed very conversational. Again, it was great to take advantage of the interviews to learn more about Morningstar and if it is a good fit for you too.

They wrapped up the day at about 3 pm. I got a phone call about 10 days later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were unqualified for a job or project and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a positive and negative team experience you've had.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had a team conflict and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orland Park, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Morningstar (Orland Park, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

Three recorded questions with three attempts to answer each. I submitted the recording at 5:30 pm and was denied at 10:00 PM that night. I don’t believe anyone even looked at my responses.

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

Interviewed for the business track of the MDP program. It was all behavioral for 2 hours with 4 different people and a case presentation. Easy interview but they were looking for fit.

Interview Questions

• It was just the basic questions like what was a time you worked on a team? Or tell me about your last internship.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied through university, got an in person interview that week, on sight interview with a group case and a few one on one interviews. Everyone is very friendly and make you feel very comfortable. I haven't heard yet

Interview Questions

• time when questions about leadership, conflict, teamwork   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through a university. Heard back in about 2 weeks for a scheduled Skype interview. It was very disappointing. My interviewer was a very recent intern-turned full time analyst that clearly had very little skill and experience in interviewing. I felt quite disrespected from this. The interviewer did not focus on any of my achievements, but rather focused on questions irrelevant to my skill set. In addition, the interviewer asked questions that were repetitive and unnecessary. I am actually glad I did not receive an offer because this reaffirms the type of people that they look to hire and illustrates they do not focus on intelligence or skill, as shown numerous places on this website.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an email a week later asking for brief answers to video questions. Only three questions long and took about 10 minutes. Then had a phone screening that took 30 minutes. Heard back later that they were moving forward with more "local" applicants.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Was referred to the program and sent an application online. Was contacted two days later to set up a Skype interview that consisted of entirely behavioral questions, lasted about 30 minutes. Heard back later that day that I was invited to the Super Day a week later. They send you a case study to prepare and a list of people you'll be interviewing with.

Day starts at 8:45am with breakfast and then there was a talk from a higher-up in the company. My group started with the case study and we had an hour to put together a presentation with three other people (four total). Presentation was 15 minutes with 15 minutes of questions. We had lunch with current members of the program and they were super casual and friendly. Afternoon was four individual interviews where they asked more behavioral questions. I found success and talking about what I do that's off my resume, they really just want to make sure you can work on a team and can fit in.

They said they would get back in two weeks. It's been about 10 days and I haven't heard back yet but I thought it went really well.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview process was divided into two parts.

First part contained 4 HR interviews. These interviews were conducted by people with technical background. Interviewers asked behavioral questions, questions based on resume, and few technical questions. Each interview lasted half hour.

In the second part candidates were divided into group of three and asked to code a problem on single system. We had to present our work and we were asked technical questions.

What I did not like about interview process was that, technical skills of candidate were not evaluated thoroughly as this role is technical there should have been process to evaluate technical skills of the candidate. Though group coding task was there, I am not sure how each candidate's technical skills can be evaluated in group task.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I got an initial interview through a hackathon where I had a one-on-one technical interview with an engineer from Morningstar.

Then I was invited to their headquarter located in Chicago downtown for the onsite interview. The interview extends from 9 in the morning to around 3 in the afternoon and is divided into two parts. The first part consists of 4 back-to-back interviews with the focus mainly on behavioral questions. The second part is a group coding task (for technical candidates, and I heard that for business candidates this is a group case analysis) where candidates were assigned into groups of 3 and coded on problems on the computers they provided. After the coding, each group conducted a 10-minute presentation on their implementations.

Interview Questions

• Describe how networks work.
      Describe a situation when you had conflict with your teammate and how you resolved the conflict.   Answer Question