Morningstar Senior Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Morningstar Senior Software Developer Interview Questions

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

One round general phone screening.
Two rounds technical phone screening.
One round on site interview.

Be positive in your responses and be clear about what you know and dont know. Also let them know that you are keen to learn new technologies. Don't get overwhelmed when asked to solve a difficult problem during on site interview. They are just looking to see how you go about solving a problem.

Interview Questions

• To solve a problem that they are having right now on a white board.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be precise on why you want a higher pay. Provide numbers if possible.

Other Interview Reviews for Morningstar

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

the overall process was rather nice and smooth, there were a few mistakes like scheduling of a in-person interviews ( i had them twice). There was one phone interview, next one was with developers and the team members, I would work with directly. Also, at that time I met managers and directors of such department.
    Next in-person interview was scheduled with directors of HR, vice presidents of IT and finally the head of whole IT dept. of the company. The experience was nice, altough I believe their current vice president was looking for a little bit different skillset then the initially mentioned in job description. So I see some discrepancies here of how they understood who they were looking for.
    Questions were rather broadly dealing with databases and the way data is handled, also LINQ and Generics concepts were touched. Personality and in general questions about the candidate interests were also given and I had a feeling these are more important than technical ones.

Interview Questions

• I was asked the question about ACID implementation in C#. Also was given a problem described as pretty typical for that company and asked how to deal with that model. The overall problem was about gathering feeds and transforming them into a data via ETL engine to multiple databases.   1 Answer
    • LINQ - pros and cons?   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vashi (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morningstar (Vashi (India)) in August 2015.

Interview

My experience was negative because I think they are not actively hiring for available posts. Many of my friends who are excellent in Dot NET ( 5-7 years experience ) have given interview at Morningstar and they never heard back even when the interview went well. HR keeps saying they are checking other candidates.

I applied for Senior Software developer (ASP.net MVC). I had shared my CV with career email id posted on Morningstar's website. Next day i got a call from HR Jui who asked me to come down for an interview.

They wanted someone to join as early as possible and she asked counter question about is it really possible for me to get relieving in a 1.5 months.

Interview was in 2 stages:

Stage 1:

I was given a Question paper which had 5 coding and 2 Database designing questions. I wrote code for all the questions and also designed the relational Database structure using tables.

Stage 2:
    Interviewer asked questions about problems i had solved. Then he asked questions about every small thing mentioned in my resume. He questioned me regarding domain and what's the need of my domain

Interview Questions

• First be ready with everything mentioned in you resume.

Write a code to read a Text File and Print every distinct word with occurrences
      Design a linked list with Push,pop,update,delete functions

Database Designing: Design a database for following problems.

1. Parking lot
      Design a Database where a Building can have a Multiple offices, Multiple officers can have branches. Branches can have multiple employees and make sure that an employee can get one parking lot space allotted.

2. Article Publishing

An article goes through various stages like written, edited,approved,pending and deleted. There are different roles like writer, editor, Approval, moderator.

What's new in dot net framework 4.5
      What's new in SQL server 2012
      What did you use from HTML5 and CSS3 and what's new in those compared to previous version

Jquery : Map vs Each
      1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Morningstar (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied online, and got email to set up a phone interview, I thought it was a HR, but it was hire manager, we talked very well, he asked some of my working experience, and then got on-site interview, 3 parts, one was c++ with MFC very old technology, since they have some old products, and then c# .net with SQL, a lot of basic tech questions, I complitely answer all of them, since I am very strong on this area, it seems the manager made a decison to offer me. but after 1 week, I got feedback, the co. prepare to move their products to Java, so they choose a person with java background.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Morningstar (Mumbai (India)) in June 2011.

Interview

1st round - Telephonic
    2nd round - Technical/Skill round