Motley Fool Interview Questions in Alexandria, VA | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 30, 2016

3.1

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very casual interview, was placed through Robert Half. Office is casual attire, people are super friendly and welcoming. Overall great experience and interview was quick and to the point. Need 30 words to submit this review

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

I first had a phone screening interview, which lasted about an hour. About a month later, I was asked to come meet with the chief lawyer and others at the Alexandria offices. Feedback from that interview took at least a month.

Financial Editor/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Over the phone interview and then a very in-depth interview at Fool HQ with at least 8 different people, which lasted about 3-4 hours total. Although everyone was very nice it was pretty tiring -- you should definitely go in with much preparation, tons of questions, and know a lot about the company and their business. Don't just go in and hope to get a job because they have a good culture.

Sector Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

It took a while for them to get to my application. Once they did, the process from initial screening interview to in-person, on-site interview was very quick. Motley Fool paid all expenses for the trip to their headquarters for the in-person interview. Everybody I interacted with was very nice. The only bad aspect of the hiring process was that HR told me they would get back to me with a decision in about a week. It took a month and many phone calls on my part (none of which were answered) before I finally got a form e-mail saying they weren't interested at that time and instead encouraged me to join their blog network.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to take one recent financial news story and come up with as many angles as possible to write articles about it.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online in September 2014. I got an e-mail 3 days later asking to set up a phone screen. I had an initial half-hour call with the two recruiters, reviewing my background and interest in the position. After a three week period, I finally heard back from the recruiters, inviting me for an in-person interview. I met the two recruiters at the HQ in Alexandria a week later. After another two week stretch, I was invited for a third round to meet with some hiring managers in the company. It was a panel interview, consisting of 7 members of their hiring team, split into 30-minute sections. After that interview, I waited another two weeks until I heard that I didn't get the job. The entire process took about 2.5 months

The recruiters were very up-front with me that the process would take a while (typically, they invite candidates back for several rounds of interviews and it can take several months). All of the people I met with were pleasant, intelligent, and seemed to love their jobs and the company. It seems like an excellent place to work.

There were a few negative aspects to the process that I think could be improved. The recruiters always gave me a date by which they would call/e-mail me with any updates, and never met that deadline. All feedback/scheduling communication was done by e-mail, so it was hard to get in touch for updates. At the end of the process, when I finally heard back that I didn't receive the job, I received a standard rejection via e-mail. This was after three rounds of interviews (two were in-person), and I would have appreciated a call informing me of the rejection.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to pretend that I was the interviewer, and I had to interview the recruiters as if they were applicants for the position.   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in September 2014.

Interview

Interview process is intense. Six 30 minute sessions with two people from all different departments. It was nice to see how the entire company operates versus just the team. Be on your toes for some off the wall questions.

Interview Questions

• If you could make a house out of anything what would it be.   Answer Question

Analyst Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

First interview was with the program head.
    Second interview was a series of six back to back. Make sure you know financial formulas and have a clear explanation for your investing style

Analyst Development Program Interview Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

The interview process took two months. There was a telephonic round with the program head. Then they would call you for a face to face interview. There were 6 rounds back to back. Very thorough and adept process. They emphasize a lot on your investment style and your personality. Few financial ratios were asked. The best strategy is to be yourself during the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you differentiate yourself from other value investors?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

Sent in resume with cover letter. We were encouraged to be as "foolish" with it as we could to make ourselves stand out.

If you were selected, you had one week to write an application that showed weather forecasts. That was really the entirety of the requirements. I thought this was genius. No limits or restrictions, just "show the weather". Do you focus on strong basics and fundamentals, or do you push the envelope? Do you use the tools they use, or what you are strong in?

If you were selected, you were brought into the office for what they called "speed-dating interviews": 2 interviewers at a time for about 20 minutes then the interviewers rotated and you had 2 fresh ones. Again, I thought this was genius. The interviewer really had to focus on the questions important to them and not fluff questions like "tell me about yourself" and "where do you see yourself in 5 years".

If you were selected, an offer was made.

Interview Questions

• Pair of interviewers dragged around a whiteboard to each table, asking the interviewee to draw an implementation of tic-tac-toe and asked questions as you went.

Operations pair asked about the pluses and minuses of using AWS.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Tough but if you stick to your guns, and you're worth it, you can persevere. Lots of advice on salary negotiation out there. Patrick Mckenzie has some awesome stuff. Google it.

Financial Editor/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

They emailed a few days after applying to say that I've made it to the next step which is to write an article on my favorite stock. That same day after sending in my article, they set up a phone interview for later that week. The phone interview only lasted several minutes and it was basic questions as well as asking what another favorite stock is.

Interview Questions

• What is another favorite stock of yours and why?   1 Answer