Motley Fool Interview Questions in Alexandria, VA | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 30, 2016

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

Sent in resume with cover letter. We were encouraged to be as "foolish" with it as we could to make ourselves stand out.

If you were selected, you had one week to write an application that showed weather forecasts. That was really the entirety of the requirements. I thought this was genius. No limits or restrictions, just "show the weather". Do you focus on strong basics and fundamentals, or do you push the envelope? Do you use the tools they use, or what you are strong in?

If you were selected, you were brought into the office for what they called "speed-dating interviews": 2 interviewers at a time for about 20 minutes then the interviewers rotated and you had 2 fresh ones. Again, I thought this was genius. The interviewer really had to focus on the questions important to them and not fluff questions like "tell me about yourself" and "where do you see yourself in 5 years".

If you were selected, an offer was made.

Interview Questions

• Pair of interviewers dragged around a whiteboard to each table, asking the interviewee to draw an implementation of tic-tac-toe and asked questions as you went.

Operations pair asked about the pluses and minuses of using AWS.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Tough but if you stick to your guns, and you're worth it, you can persevere. Lots of advice on salary negotiation out there. Patrick Mckenzie has some awesome stuff. Google it.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

Was contacted by a friendly HR rep via a phone call who discussed the position as well as reviewed my resume. The HR rep then arranged a phone interview with 3 coworkers. The phone interview was about 30 minutes with 3 people who pretty much asked what I do currently. I was then called back for an in person interview as I was to be interviewed by at least 7 coworkers who met with me in 3 small groups. The staff was friendly. One problem with this multiple group interview format was that I was asked to talk about my resume 3 different times, which got a bit repetitive. I would have expected the staff members to review my resume beforehand as they all had a copy with them. Various staff members seemed to question why I have a MBA, but work in a technical area of IT. Being that Motley Fool's IT shop is definitely a lot smaller than the IT departments at my current or previous employers, some interviewees seemed to be shocked that larger IT shops have separate teams that perform various specific functions, such as a team for networking, a team for Exchange, a team for servers, etc. I was asked the basic book questions such as what is RAID, NAS, SAN, etc. Book smarts were tested, but skills were never tested.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking for a job when you seem to have a great job at a large Fortune 500 company?   1 Answer

Salary was a lot less than other IT related jobs in the DC/VA/MD area. Another review mentioned that moving around in the company seems to be an issue and based on my interview that does seem to be true. More so since it is a small IT shop. Cross training exists, but moves are more lateral rather moving up.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very casual interview, was placed through Robert Half. Office is casual attire, people are super friendly and welcoming. Overall great experience and interview was quick and to the point. Need 30 words to submit this review

Office Dynamo Aka Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in November 2011.

Interview

I received an email response to an online application requesting an initial phone interview that would last no longer than 15 minutes. The interviewer called on time, discussed the company structure and the job hours and salary of the position. The discussion was short and the interview felt ill-prepared and a little too informal.

Interview Questions

• For this position, we are looking at a salary of $XX. Is this in line with what you are looking for?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any questions for me?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight, consisted of a initial HR interview and then couple of in person interviews by a panel of people from different teams.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There's room for negotiation

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in August 2011.

Interview

The interview for this job took an excrutiating amount of time (3 months) and consisted of email requests for multiple writing samples. The request for writing samples is not uncommon but when examples already exist on the Web, why disregard a candidate's professional background by asking for more samples and then asking for them to be done for FREE?

I don't quite understand companies that can't take the time to at least talk to a potential candidate over the phone. I also know that if the economy weren't so bad, no one would even consider providing free work let alone ask for it.

Investing Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in June 2013.

Interview

Quick 30 minute interview questions about your interest in investing and finance is tested

Interview Questions

• 1. Talk about a stock that you are looking at (there will be push back)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Office Dynamo Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

I filled out the application online and received an email to set up a phone interview. Interviewers were friendly and made the conversation easy. I then received an email to come in for an in person interview. At the office, the interview was very intense. I interviewed with people in groups of 2 every half hour. Similar questions were sometimes asked and I would forget if I had already told this group of people something and didn't want to look dumb repeating myself.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was really too difficult. Maybe, What is your guilty pleasure? Cause I couldn't come up with something good on the spot.   Answer Question

Writer - Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

The HR recruiter got back to me quickly and asked for a writing sample. After I submitted the sample, we spoke on the phone and I was called in to HQ for a 1 on 1 and panel interview. The interview with the panel was a bit intimidating but all the people turned out to be very friendly and helpful. I got the job and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question was probably when they asked me to talk about specific companies I believed were undervalued or overvalued. After I rattled off P/E ratios and EV/EBITDA multiples, they asked for more information and I had to come up with something on the spot   Answer Question

Sector Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

It took a while for them to get to my application. Once they did, the process from initial screening interview to in-person, on-site interview was very quick. Motley Fool paid all expenses for the trip to their headquarters for the in-person interview. Everybody I interacted with was very nice. The only bad aspect of the hiring process was that HR told me they would get back to me with a decision in about a week. It took a month and many phone calls on my part (none of which were answered) before I finally got a form e-mail saying they weren't interested at that time and instead encouraged me to join their blog network.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to take one recent financial news story and come up with as many angles as possible to write articles about it.   Answer Question