Motley Fool Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Motley Fool

2.9

Investment Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in September 2020.

Interview

The interview process is set up for them to ask about your investment background and test if you would fit within the “fool” culture. The interviews are broken down in 30 -minute intervals where you meet with either 2 or 3 “fools”. Every single one of them was respectful and nice.
    The technical part of the interview is relatively easy, some of the questions seem like they came from a pop quiz from an undergrad finance 101 class. What’s free cash flow? What’s PE? What’s enterprise value? Be prepared to explain your investment process, what type of investor you are (value, growth, etc.) and things you look for in a company and or industry.
    You’ll be interviewed in teams of “twos” or “threes”, this part of the process was very repetitive, you’ll be going through most of the same questions over and over again. (real example: the first pair asked what free cash flow was, the second pair of interviewers asked me the same). They’ll also ask about yourself, how you are different and why you’d fit at the company. They’ll also expect you to ask questions. I asked 3 of them what the “Fool” does with recommendations that don’t play out and received 3 different answers (maybe something they should be on the same page about).
    After finishing 5 rounds of 30-minute interviews I was told that because of the nature of the interviews (zoom calls), they felt they could miss some things regarding the candidates. I was scheduled to speak to 4 more “fools” because of that, I met with them again. After this radio silence came. I heard nothing from them for 2 weeks, in those two weeks I emailed and called the recruiter…they said nothing. I finally texted the recruiter, whose phone I had because she had texted me earlier in the process regarding scheduling matters. I wanted to avoid since it was her personal phone but I needed an answer. She finally called to tell they had moved on with other candidates.
    My recommendation to the company is that if you make a candidate meet with over 14 people, if you make someone take hours of their days to interview and prepare for these interviews, those people deserve a clear yes or no answer in the end.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe the PE ratio to someone without a finance background?
      Define Free Cash Flow
      Define Enterprise Value
      What type of investor are you?
      Tells about a mistake you made when investing.
      Have you read any books on investments)
      What is your investment process?
      What are your weaknesses?
      Provide a stock recommendation   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (New York, NY).

Interview

I'm actually pretty disappointed with the interview process because I had only heard good things about Motley Fool and the company culture. I had interviewed for a business intelligence analyst position, and I was told that I did extremely well in the first interview and that I should be on the lookout for a second round interview extremely soon. I soon never heard back at all, and when I reached out to the person, after 2 weeks of silence, with whom I had originally spoke with, they told me that they had received another candidate. I was never told that I did not get the position and even after that reaching out, I was never given more information, even after being promised a follow-up discussion about the process. I'm not upset with MF that I did not get the position, and that is not the focus of this review, but more that I'm annoyed that a company was such great reviews ghosted me in the candidate process. We spend a lot of time preparing for these interviews and especially during this coronavirus time, sometimes interviews are scarce. I felt really good hearing the initial feedback and then I wasn't given a single amount og feedback afterwards, let alone an email stating that I did not get the position - I was ghosted. Please don't ghost the people that you interview. At the very least please email them and let them know that they did not get the position, especially after telling them that they should be expecting a second round interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you function in a less micro-management environment?   Answer Question

Motley Fool Response

Aug 14, 2020 – Recruiting Lead

We sincerely apologize for your negative experience while interviewing with us Fools. Because of your feedback, we looked into what led to the breakdown in communication to prevent it from happening again. Moving forward, we will be working on streamlining our communications with our agency partners to limit any gaps and ensure everyone is in the loop. We appreciate your honesty and the time you took not only for our interview process, but to write us this valuable feedback.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool in May 2020.

Interview

The interview process took roughly 2-3 weeks to complete. Started with an initial phone interview, then an interview with the supervisor of the role and finished with a panel interview.

Digital Media Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Washington, DC) in May 2020.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a multi-step phone and in-person interview stages with various members of the team as well as a skills test. An internal recruiter guided the whole process and was extremely responsive and helpful.

Agile Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Denver, CO) in January 2020.

Interview

1. Recruiter Phone Interview
    2. Panel Phone interview with 3 colleagues
    3. Flew me onsite for 4 interviews with 2 people in each

Very professional. Very courteous and asked applicable questions to the position but also kept it light and personal and asked some fun off the wall questions to get to know you as a person.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage multiple stakeholders with high priority items and limited resources?   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in December 2019.

Interview

After submitting my resume, I received and email for a phone interview with a recruiter.
    Received a coding challenge from the team. It was pretty relaxed and they opened a slack workspace for me to ask questions.
    Also, they paid me for it which was pretty great.
    They then flew me out for an in person interview where I met with about 11 people. They asked about my code challenge, how to improve it, and general other questions. Nothing too technical.

Interview Questions

• How would you change *blank* aspect of your code challenge   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in December 2019.

Interview

The first step was to talk with a recruiter on the phone, it was a good informational call to learn more about the job and company and to make sure it's a culture fit both ways. The culture fit is important, because it's a lot different there than other companies (In a good way!).

After that it was time to speak with a hiring manager on the phone. We got more in depth about my career path and what lead me to where I am, and also more specifics about the team and job.

The next step an in person interview, but before that there was a coding project to be done. They're less about gotcha questions and whiteboarding problems in interviews and more about seeing what you can actually do. I was asked to spend 8-10 hours on a project that had a well defined set of guidelines. Unlike other companies which ask you to do a project and you can only hope it leads to a job, they pay you for your time regardless of if you get an offer or not. My in person interview process was split into three parts:

1 - Hiring manager + one team member: We went through my project talking through the decisions I made and areas I saw for improvement. Then we went through adding a small feature to the project in about 30 minutes. There was not a lot of pressure, and it was good to talk with them through some of the problems I was running into while working on it.

2 - Hiring manager + other developers on the team: Other developers on the team came in and they went around each asking me a few questions. Everyone asked good questions that were more about assessing me overall as a developer rather than testing obscure knowledge or facts I'd memorized.

3 - Business stakeholders: The last step of the in person interview was to meet with a few of the business stakeholders. The best I could describe it is as a getting to know you chat, they are the people who define the requirements of the software needed so they wanted to make sure I was a fit.

It took a little while to move through the whole process, but they want to make sure that they're hiring the right candidates. Though, I started the process shortly before Thanksgiving so the holidays were definitely part of the delay.

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Motley Fool.

Interview

Surprisingly the worst interview I have done, given they have such a good name. They were sighing the whole interview from the start as if they were never interested and didn't ask questions that would be relevant to me being able to perform the job. On top of that, the recruiter didn't even reply to emails afterward.

Interview Questions

Motley Fool Response

Jan 14, 2020 – Human Resources

Thank you for offering feedback on this process. We aim to be respectful to all of our candidates, and we’re sorry that wasn’t the impression left on you. Our interview panels are comprised of Fools from multiple teams across the company, so while all questions may not be tied directly to job performance, they are asked based on years of Foolish experience. It’s always our goal to respond to all follow-up questions from candidates – if we missed yours, we apologize for that oversight. If you still have questions about the process or any additional comments, please feel free to reach out to recruiting@fool.com.

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in November 2019.

Interview

Intentional, well-rounded, covering an array of people and departments, strategic and tactical, team focused, thorough and fun! Though the overall process was a bit long, the recruiter was/is very proactive, empathetic and personable. When they were excited about the next step, it was clear and motivating!

Interview Questions

• What is your philosophy on philanthropy?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool.

Interview

The process took several months. I had an initial screening with an HR person in early summer followed by a skype interview with some team members a few weeks later. A few weeks after that I was asked to complete a coding project for which I would be paid (I was never paid). After completing the coding project I was invited to have another video interview a few weeks later. The interview consisted of going over my coding project and discussing a few other things about my skills and work history. I thought it went well but did not hear anything for several weeks. Finally, someone reached out to invite me to the Fool HQ but by this time I had already accepted another position so I declined to continue the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project you worked on that did not go as planned   Answer Question