Motley Fool Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Motley Fool Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2017

2.9

Editorial Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Motley Fool.

Interview

Took editing test, which I aced. (How do I know? I'm a good editor, that's how.) Did phone interview which was average, nothing unique or unusual, except that they ended it abruptly because (they said) someone needed the room they were in. Pretty poor planning, if that's true. Anyway, to conclude the interview properly, I emailed the interviewer right away, thanking them for speaking with me, etc. They said they'd let me know "by the end of next week." Suffice to say I never heard, and after two weeks, I emailed to follow up. No answer until the *following* week, when they finally decided to tell me they went with "someone who better met their needs."

Interview Questions

• Asked if I had ever worked on a daily or weekly publication.   1 Answer

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Met with 12 people, two at a time. More of a cultural interview than skills based. Not a lot of questions regarding my IT skills. Seemed like they were more interested in how you would fit in. It was a fun interview.

Interview Questions

• What type of peanut butter do you like...Smooth or Chunky?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very casual interview, was placed through Robert Half. Office is casual attire, people are super friendly and welcoming. Overall great experience and interview was quick and to the point. Need 30 words to submit this review

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

I first had a phone screening interview, which lasted about an hour. About a month later, I was asked to come meet with the chief lawyer and others at the Alexandria offices. Feedback from that interview took at least a month.

Freelance Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Charlottesville, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

There were a couple of writing prompts to submit. The prompts were fairly open-ended, though specifically structured and laid out. You could choose from a few clearly-defined topics, but had plenty of leeway to write how you wanted, to really showcase your writing style and knowledge of investments and fundamental analysis.

Interview Questions

• What is your writing experience?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.

Summer Software Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool.

Interview

The interview was a phone interview with 3-4 people. Very laid back and no technical questions were asked. The interview lasted around 30 mins. I received an email about a week and a half later with the offer. Even though I did not accept the offer, the company seems amazing and the people there are great.

Interview Questions

• What drew you towards software engineering?   1 Answer

Financial Editor/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Over the phone interview and then a very in-depth interview at Fool HQ with at least 8 different people, which lasted about 3-4 hours total. Although everyone was very nice it was pretty tiring -- you should definitely go in with much preparation, tons of questions, and know a lot about the company and their business. Don't just go in and hope to get a job because they have a good culture.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool in February 2015.

Interview

2 interviews over the phone. The first was rather easy HR questions. The second was more technical. Definitely easier than most finance interviews. Plan for it to last between twenty and thirty minutes. Also, be sure to sit in a quiet place because the speakers used often sounded muffled and jumbled and were slightly stressful when in the moment.

Interview Questions

• What is a stock you are interested in right now and why?   1 Answer

Current Employee Interview

Interview

interview is panel. Usually, a member from certain departments will come down as a group on individuals. It's best to know the company before hand and to also know what you want. Confidence goes a long way as well as experience.

Financial Editor/Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool.

Interview

Asked to submit a writing sample on one of 10 companies after submitting an application online. While I didn't get any further in the interview process, I applaud HR for their promptness and sending clever email messages throughout the process (i.e. after getting dinged "we are well aware that you could have easily spent that time learning how to ride a unicycle or perfect your aerial trapeze routine.") Still a very cool company that I would love to work for if I get a chance in the future.