Motley Fool Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Motley Fool Interview Questions

2.9

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in September 2014.

Interview

Interview process is intense. Six 30 minute sessions with two people from all different departments. It was nice to see how the entire company operates versus just the team. Be on your toes for some off the wall questions.

Interview Questions

• If you could make a house out of anything what would it be.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool.

Interview

They are really bad about getting back to you, and take forever with all things hiring. Don't let that discourage you. I showed up to their young investor day, met the person in charge of hiring, sent in an application and had totally written it off when months later i got a call for an interview and then got the job.

That being said their intern program is incredibly selective. You have to be a certain kind of person, a little different, not too serious or professional, but passionate. They want you doing it for the right reasons (not money). I didn't even ask to get paid but they told me they had to pay me and I said ok.

Interview Questions

• Something along the lines of why do you like investing. (Hint, just to make money is the wrong answer)   Answer Question

Negotiation

They asked when I could be there, I told them, and they told me they had to pay me, so they gave me an offer and I accepted.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool in January 2013.

Interview

Submitted an online application in early January, received a request to schedule a phone interview about three weeks later. The interview was very casual, they put me on speakerphone. In all, there were 3 interviewers. They were very friendly and seemed to just want to get to know me better. After asking me about my investing background and education, they let me ask any questions I had and described the work environment that I should expect. Overall, the interview took less than 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What kind of classes are you taking right now? (Not that difficult, but again, the purpose of the interview seemed to be just to get to know me better)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight, consisted of a initial HR interview and then couple of in person interviews by a panel of people from different teams.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There's room for negotiation

IT Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Motley Fool.

Interview

Interviewed by a panel. Mostly they wanted to make sure of a good fit. They didn't waste too much time on technical questions and had respect for my years of experience. They tend to be interested in what you do that's interesting outside of work.

Interview Questions

• What books do you like to read. That blows the minds of some technical people who think that the right answer is, 'I read technical manuals.' Other than that, they seemed focused on questions relate to whatever their current problem is.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I found out shortly after taking the job that my salary was really on the low side for the market. Negotiation got me another 1 or 2 percent. Over the years I realized I could do better and when I left, I got a substantial bump in pay at my new company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Met with 12 people, two at a time. More of a cultural interview than skills based. Not a lot of questions regarding my IT skills. Seemed like they were more interested in how you would fit in. It was a fun interview.

Interview Questions

• What type of peanut butter do you like...Smooth or Chunky?   1 Answer

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

I first had a phone screening interview, which lasted about an hour. About a month later, I was asked to come meet with the chief lawyer and others at the Alexandria offices. Feedback from that interview took at least a month.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

Sent in resume with cover letter. We were encouraged to be as "foolish" with it as we could to make ourselves stand out.

If you were selected, you had one week to write an application that showed weather forecasts. That was really the entirety of the requirements. I thought this was genius. No limits or restrictions, just "show the weather". Do you focus on strong basics and fundamentals, or do you push the envelope? Do you use the tools they use, or what you are strong in?

If you were selected, you were brought into the office for what they called "speed-dating interviews": 2 interviewers at a time for about 20 minutes then the interviewers rotated and you had 2 fresh ones. Again, I thought this was genius. The interviewer really had to focus on the questions important to them and not fluff questions like "tell me about yourself" and "where do you see yourself in 5 years".

If you were selected, an offer was made.

Interview Questions

• Pair of interviewers dragged around a whiteboard to each table, asking the interviewee to draw an implementation of tic-tac-toe and asked questions as you went.

Operations pair asked about the pluses and minuses of using AWS.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Tough but if you stick to your guns, and you're worth it, you can persevere. Lots of advice on salary negotiation out there. Patrick Mckenzie has some awesome stuff. Google it.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

Was contacted by a friendly HR rep via a phone call who discussed the position as well as reviewed my resume. The HR rep then arranged a phone interview with 3 coworkers. The phone interview was about 30 minutes with 3 people who pretty much asked what I do currently. I was then called back for an in person interview as I was to be interviewed by at least 7 coworkers who met with me in 3 small groups. The staff was friendly. One problem with this multiple group interview format was that I was asked to talk about my resume 3 different times, which got a bit repetitive. I would have expected the staff members to review my resume beforehand as they all had a copy with them. Various staff members seemed to question why I have a MBA, but work in a technical area of IT. Being that Motley Fool's IT shop is definitely a lot smaller than the IT departments at my current or previous employers, some interviewees seemed to be shocked that larger IT shops have separate teams that perform various specific functions, such as a team for networking, a team for Exchange, a team for servers, etc. I was asked the basic book questions such as what is RAID, NAS, SAN, etc. Book smarts were tested, but skills were never tested.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking for a job when you seem to have a great job at a large Fortune 500 company?   1 Answer

Salary was a lot less than other IT related jobs in the DC/VA/MD area. Another review mentioned that moving around in the company seems to be an issue and based on my interview that does seem to be true. More so since it is a small IT shop. Cross training exists, but moves are more lateral rather moving up.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online in September 2014. I got an e-mail 3 days later asking to set up a phone screen. I had an initial half-hour call with the two recruiters, reviewing my background and interest in the position. After a three week period, I finally heard back from the recruiters, inviting me for an in-person interview. I met the two recruiters at the HQ in Alexandria a week later. After another two week stretch, I was invited for a third round to meet with some hiring managers in the company. It was a panel interview, consisting of 7 members of their hiring team, split into 30-minute sections. After that interview, I waited another two weeks until I heard that I didn't get the job. The entire process took about 2.5 months

The recruiters were very up-front with me that the process would take a while (typically, they invite candidates back for several rounds of interviews and it can take several months). All of the people I met with were pleasant, intelligent, and seemed to love their jobs and the company. It seems like an excellent place to work.

There were a few negative aspects to the process that I think could be improved. The recruiters always gave me a date by which they would call/e-mail me with any updates, and never met that deadline. All feedback/scheduling communication was done by e-mail, so it was hard to get in touch for updates. At the end of the process, when I finally heard back that I didn't receive the job, I received a standard rejection via e-mail. This was after three rounds of interviews (two were in-person), and I would have appreciated a call informing me of the rejection.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to pretend that I was the interviewer, and I had to interview the recruiters as if they were applicants for the position.   Answer Question