Motley Fool Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

0.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

Sent in resume with cover letter. We were encouraged to be as "foolish" with it as we could to make ourselves stand out.

If you were selected, you had one week to write an application that showed weather forecasts. That was really the entirety of the requirements. I thought this was genius. No limits or restrictions, just "show the weather". Do you focus on strong basics and fundamentals, or do you push the envelope? Do you use the tools they use, or what you are strong in?

If you were selected, you were brought into the office for what they called "speed-dating interviews": 2 interviewers at a time for about 20 minutes then the interviewers rotated and you had 2 fresh ones. Again, I thought this was genius. The interviewer really had to focus on the questions important to them and not fluff questions like "tell me about yourself" and "where do you see yourself in 5 years".

If you were selected, an offer was made.

Interview Questions

• Pair of interviewers dragged around a whiteboard to each table, asking the interviewee to draw an implementation of tic-tac-toe and asked questions as you went.

Operations pair asked about the pluses and minuses of using AWS.
    Answer Question

Negotiation

Tough but if you stick to your guns, and you're worth it, you can persevere. Lots of advice on salary negotiation out there. Patrick Mckenzie has some awesome stuff. Google it.