Motorola Mobility Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 28, 2017

2.9

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Motorola Mobility (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Typical interview. Explained the day to day functions of the department. Discussed short and long term business plans. Wanted an example of how I was able to resolve a difficult customer issue in the past. I received an email 2 weeks later that they had selected a different candidate.

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Motorola Mobility (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process is like another piece of data, and I believe it's a glimpse into how a company runs and what it will be like to work there.

First you have a phone interview with the HR manager, and then a phone interview with the hiring manager, and if that goes well, they ask you to come in for a in-person portfolio review with the team (6 people) + 4 additional 1:1 interviews.

Afterwards, I never heard back from anyone, even after I emailed a follow-up - which is frustrating after you spend personal and working time to prepare and interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you ... failed, or had bad results, how did you overcome it.... very typical corporate America questions. Basically, they are looking to hear the right things, so you fit within their environment. You know make this stuff up, and turn your negatives into a positive.   2 Answers

RF Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Motorola Mobility (Chicago, IL).

Interview

It was pretty technical. Hr person contacted and asked for availability. Then hiring manager called for a phone interview. We spent more than 30 mins on the resume and he was pretty happy. I could see during process. Even before we hangup he offered me to come on site for a full interview. That was my first interview but I did preparw pretty hard and passed.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Motorola Mobility (Chicago, IL).

Interview

They did not reimburse me for traveling 150 miles to the nearest airport. I had to repeatedly explain to their representative the location of the nearest airport to my location. They were clearly more interested in hiring someone who was a good talker, than they were interested in someone with good engineering skills.

Interview Questions

• They wanted me to use a Smith Chart to determine impedances for matching.   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Motorola Mobility (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

After a initial coding test, I had two back to back technical video interviews. The interviewers weren't very sure of what they wanted and made the experience quite stressful. The second round was especially vague and I wasn't sure what they meant. Example - Create a program that must perform an initialization sequence. And I was supposed to code this.

Interview Questions

• Length of an array after removing duplicate elements.
      Design a thread safe queue for handling some read and write functions.
      1 Answer

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Libertyville, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Motorola Mobility (Libertyville, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

Small interview room with multiple people visiting. Each person was from a different area of expertise, ie tester, developer, manager. I was asked some of the most technically challenging questions I have ever been asked which comprised 40 percent of the interview and 40 percent on my resume and work history and 20 percent on working preferences.

Interview Questions

• Engineering Puzzle: on an analog clock at 3 o'clock angle between the big hand and the little hand is 90 degrees. What is the angle at 3:15?   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Motorola Mobility (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

I was tested writing some simple ajax calls and jquery with html during an initial phone screen. Didn't remember all the javascript function names off the top of my head but I did psuedocode the problem well able was able to explain how the code worked. The next phone screen was a contrived stack problem of arithmetic with plus minus divide and multiply operators. I painstakingly got the the end of this useless problem with a guy whose done this a million times but wants me to wow him with my thought process like a real googly interview would be. The worst is how this guy droned on and on over his soapbox about how since google to over their company how he wants developers who don't google for help. How ironic. Also felt very rushed on the last phone screen.

Web Platform Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Motorola Mobility (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Sourced by an internal talent scout for a position at the Chicago office working with SCRUMs to replatform their MotoX E-Commerce experience. Threw out some red flags on fit during initial contact but was moved forward nevertheless.

The next week as passed off to HR for an initial Hangout with a distinguished engineer within the organization and we totally clicked so I was called in for on-site interviews in their space in the Mart.

Just prior to the on-site, about a week later, received a call where HR explained the interviews might seem strange because Mobility was still using the hiring process left behind from Google's apparent patent grab, before Mobility became foreign owned.

About another week went by and I had the on-site. The process reminded me of the interview I had for a Web leadership role I held out in the 'burbs for three years back in '06. Five ~1 hour back-to-back 1<>1 interviews in a room with idea paint. There were no actual coding questions given. As suggested in other Glassdoor reviews just mostly questions about my accomplishments; it would have been nice to pair on some code rather than spill all my ideas on a board.

Was told by HR they'd be debriefing on me several days later, which to me already seemed too late. At this point the role was still undecided. Then I waited. And waited...

4 weeks after my on-site I had a friend put in a recommendation with a Mobility SVP, who asked me to pass along my resume so I did.

Within the next week I received a call from HR. The conversation was curt, and I was given little feedback and told my tech skills were less than par and that they were "pursuing other candidates" for the role.

When I dug in a little in a response email I learned the debrief weeks earlier was not favorable, which made me feel as though they could have told me sooner. Oh well.

Interview Questions

• Given this terrible-looking code we found in our code base tell us what it does.   1 Answer

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Motorola Mobility (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process took over 5 weeks. I was interviewed by a recruiter, then a 4-hour in person interview which I interviewed with 4 employees including management (I drove 3 hours to attend the interview). This was followed by another phone interview by a senior manager. I was then told that Motorola hires by commitee and that there would be 3 commitees that would have to meet to review my information: an employee review, a management review, and a compensation review. Throughout the entire process I was told I was the standout candidate and even received an email stating that I had been recommended for the final senior management review, which doesn't happen unless they were serious about hiring. After all of this over 5 weeks, the recruiter contacted me to tell me they reduced the experience requirement for the position (essentially telling me I was over qualified) and to keep in touch for future positions.

New Project Electric Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Motorola Mobility (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

30 mins phone interview with one of the manager. Asked about my resume, projects and course work. Also, he asked a lot of technical questions, like: how does the gesture control on MOTO X works; what type of sensors are you familiar with; what do you want to do if you can start a new project, etc. This interview is more about whether you are creative than knowledge learned in school. I was told to have the final round the second day.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between linear regulator and buck converter? When should you use one or other.   Answer Question