Mountain Equipment Co-op Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Mountain Equipment Co-op

2.7

Sort:

Outreach Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mountain Equipment Co-op in October 2018.

Interview

Interviewer was impersonal & seemed as though he didn't want to be there. I followed up by sending references and thanking him for the interview and got no response - very unprofessional. Has left me with a terrible impression of MEC.

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mountain Equipment Co-op (Halifax, NS (Canada)) in September 2018.

Interview

I got a personal interview with the store manager and was required to respond to a list of questions on the spot. Most were general; "why do you want to work at MEC", "what are your strengths/weaknesses", others were relevance based questions about my interest and potential with MEC.

Interview Questions

• What do you like to do outside?   1 Answer
    • What is a future outdoor goal of yours?   1 Answer

Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mountain Equipment Co-op (Burlington, ON (Canada)) in July 2015.

Interview

I was invited for an interview at a specific time. I showed up early, and found that they were running very late. I had to linger in the store, shopping for about a half hour before they called me in.

The interview itself I found to be very odd. The two women I interviewed with were laid back and relaxed. They joked around to me and to each other during the interview, and so I took that as an indication that the interview could be more casual. However any time I joined in on the light-hearted banter, they would stop, looked shocked, and stare at me as if I had three heads.

Interview Questions

• The usual stuff - what do you like about MEC, why are you applying here, how do you think you can contribute, and so on and so forth. You need to know about the clubs and programs MEC has.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mountain Equipment Co-op.

Interview

- No phone screen, no recruiter contact
    - In person interview (1 hour)
    - Silence, no feedback, nothing. I haven't heard from them for few months. Since I took my time do to an in person interview, I would expect at least an email with an answer.

Quite unprofessional interview process and being ghosted by the interviewer tells me a lot about the company culture.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mountain Equipment Co-op (Scarborough, ON (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

There are two interviews required. First interview was about the standard questions, such as weaknesses and strengths, how did you hear about the job, what makes you fit for the position. The second interview talks about your outdoor involvement and activities

Head Office Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mountain Equipment Co-op (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

1. Approximately 20 minute telephone screening with HR
    2. Approximately 1 hour personal one on one with direct manager
    3. Approximately 1/2 hour Peer interview
    4. Reference check by HR

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mountain Equipment Co-op in September 2016.

Interview

It was a in person round with the PM and the Director. Only one interview to hire. Behavioural type of questions with a few technical too. The hiring agency had prepared me by describing the skill sets they were looking for.

Interview Questions

Other better offer with zero commute time. Overall experience was very positive. It is a creative place with fitness orientation. Right from the time I signed into the office I got positive vibes. People were very warm and friendly.

Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mountain Equipment Co-op (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was called 2 days later and given an on-the-spot phone screening/interview. I was then invited to interview in person 5 days later.

I was initially told I'd be interviewing with 1 person, but ended up being interviewed by 2 managers inside a small office where a 3rd person was working/listening to the interview a couple feet away (I was told to just pretend they weren't there, but they kept looking at me and nodding their head as I answered questions)

We went over my resume and then I was asked a variety of behavioural questions and some typical interview questions by each manager, which seemed to be presented in a good cop/bad cop type of dynamic between the 2 interviewers.

I then presented my prepared questions for them at the end when asked. When the interview had finished, I thanked them for their time and asked the best way to follow up with them regarding my potential hire with the company, but was told not to do so, and that I would get a phone call from them if I was hired for the position or if I was not.

I had answered all their questions with excitement, knowledge, and sincerity, so it was unfortunate to be called the next day and told point blank that they would not be moving forward with my application :(

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in retail?   Answer Question
    • If we were to call your past employers, what would they say your greatest strengths and weaknesses were?   Answer Question
    • What does teamwork mean or look like to you and why is it important? Describe an example of a team you have been a part of?   Answer Question
    • What is something you have been teaching or leading in the past 6 months? If nothing, what is something new you've been taught or are learning and why do you enjoy it?   Answer Question
    • What is a setback you've experienced in the past few years and how did you handle or overcome it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time a coworker was being or doing something dishonest, and how did you respond?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to work with a difficult coworker? What made them difficult and how did you handle working with them?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about MEC?

Why do you want to work for MEC?   Answer Question
    • What outdoor activities do you participate in?

What outdoor activities that we offer have you not tried yet but are curious about?   Answer Question
    • What have you learned about yourself or gained from working in customer service/retail in the past?   Answer Question

Floor Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Mountain Equipment Co-op (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Went for a job fair they were having at Vancouver - had 1 staff to run through your details and availability, followed by 2 interviews.
    First interview was with I believe a floor staff, that asked me rather basic questions about my interests, what I like about MEC etc.
    The second interview was with the store manager that asked more complex questions such as, why retail and why MEC, how would your friends/employers describe you, situational questions etc.

It's only been a few days since the interview so I've yet to receive an offer. But it was a good interview in any case! Very friendly and open staff.

(edit: got called in for a final 'interview' 5 days after - got an offer!)

Interview Questions

• Interests? Why MEC? Why retail? What if it gets really busy, how would you deal with customers trying to get your attention? What qualities do you have? Is there a specific department you prefer?   Answer Question

Floor Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Mountain Equipment Co-op (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Very friendly interviewers that were calm and professional. I had dropped off my CV in person, the staff member who accepted it didn't seem very kind, almosst declined accepting my CV because apparently there were no jobs available. In the end, another staff member took over, stating that there are always job opportunities popping up. I got a simple phone interview before being called for an in-person interview. The phone interview consisted of questions about my knowledge about the store, my interests in outdoor activities, my experience in retail and what i have learned from past jobs.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about MEC   Answer Question
    • What outdoor activities do you do?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work in retail, and more particularly in retail at MEC?   Answer Question
    • Describe a moment in the last 6 months in which you were faced with a problem and used you intellect and creativity to solve it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a moment in the last 6 months when you had to work in a team. What worked? What didn't work?   Answer Question
    • Describe a moment in the last 6 months when someone was dishonest with you. How did you handle this situation?   Answer Question
    • Describe a moment in the last 6 months when, on a team, someone was not being a 'team player', how did you handle this situation?   Answer Question
    • What other sports do you do?   Answer Question
    • Practical question about handling many clients on busy day when understaffed.   Answer Question
    • What is an adventure you had recently, what is a word you would use to describe it, what are your next planned adventures?   Answer Question
    • Strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question