Mozilla Interview Questions in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

Mozilla Interview Questions in Mountain View, CA

3.7

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

1. HackerRank challenge
    2. Two technical phone screens, two managerial phone screens.
    3. On-site: 4 technical interviews, 2 non-technical

The interviews are not easy, but not impossible. They look for strong candidates who are able to think clearly - distributed working is a big part of the company culture, so employees need to be self-motivated and able to communicate clearly.

In addition, employees need to understand - and work to further - the Mozilla mission. Understand what that means to you, both personally and professionally!

Interview Questions

• Stats, distributed systems, databases, map-reduce, general analytics skills   Answer Question

Web Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Initial HR phone screen, followed by a phone interview (or 2, if you're not near an office) with a relevant employee or manager. If all goes well, a full day of 3-5 interviewers, with lunch included. Airfare and hotel are arranged and paid for if needed. These will usually be 2-3 immediate co-workers (same team), and 2-3 people from other "nearby" teams. WebDev candidates may interview with an IT/Ops person, Operations Security with a NetOps person, etc. You're not expected to be an expert in those related fields, but are expected to be at least somewhat familiar with their roles and responsibilities and have a high-level understanding of what they do and when you might engage with them.

Interview Questions

• general Linux sysadmin questions (*nix permissions model, config management, immutable flag, source control), web hosting specific things (Apache, MySQL, Python/Django). Expect some hard / non-obvious ones- Mozilla tends to hire strong.   Answer Question
    • Culture fit questions - comfortable working remotely, attitude towards Open Source and transparency, need for management oversight / direction, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation can happen, and reasonable counter-offers are likely to be considered. However I wouldn't push it very far... the pay is slightly less than other similar tech companies (though still very strong compared to non-Bay-Area-based businesses).

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Online application through their careers page. I was contacted about 1 week later by HR and had 4 phone interviews over the course of 1 month. 2 technical and 2 regular conversations with management positions.
    After passing those, I was brought in for an onsite interview with 8 individuals over the course of a full day. Half of the interviews were through a video conferencing system Mozilla uses.

The entire process took over 3 months and there were long periods of silence. HR was not responsive and often left me wondering what was going on. Overall, Mozilla is an extremely slow company since half of the employees are remote and communication takes extra time. I noticed there were very few employees under 30 years of age, which I found interesting for a tech company. Even from the interviews, I felt like the company was stuck in a bureaucratic mess where there was a frustration between old and new ways of development.

Two employees during my interview process mentioned that it was extremely hard to create change and bring in ideas since the majority of senior engineers have been at Mozilla for a long period of time and had a set way of doing things. I was a little shocked at how many internal problems seemed to occur at Mozilla.

Many engineers made it clear that working on OSS had many weak points and wanted to make sure I fully understood the drawbacks before considering Mozilla.

Having said all that, I did speak with highly passionate and talented engineers, managers, and directors. Their insights were fascinating and they all seemed excited to be part of the Mozilla organization. They all knew their field very well and held pride in their work. I would say the individuals were great, but the way Mozilla is run at a company level was restricting their capabilities and ideas.

Overall, you would have to be extremely passionate about OSS and user privacy to consider all the negatives accepting all the negatives that come from a company run like Mozilla.

PS: An interesting bit of information I learned from the interviews -- Firefox downloads have been steadily declining for some time now and their main business partner, Yahoo!, is not doing well.

Interview Questions

• Standard technical questions.
      plus:
      Why do you want to work for Mozilla? (everyone asked this)
      What is your development process?
      What is a challenge you had to overcome?
      How would you convince someone to follow your idea?
      What's the best way to revolutionize senior management? How would you bring in new ideas?
      How did you deal with a conflict with another employee?
      How do you feel about engineering in the public?
      Do you have experience with test driven development?
      How do you feel about working remotely?
      Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

When I applied I grabbed a book, "Programming Interviews Exposed" to refresh myself on how the process would go. (I hadn't been in the job market for 8 years). Pretty standard developer interview for tech industry: recruiting phone screen, managerial phone screen, 2 phone tech interviews, 6 in-person interviews. The process took a long time, but it wasn't confusing or painful.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to solve a typical tree-sorting problem with a couple different algorithms.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Recruiter asked for a salary point and I gave him a figure that I said would make it an easy decision for me to join. Hiring manager offered a little below, but explained the bonus program would more than make up the total compensation.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

After applying through the website I got randomly texted by a engineer with a little coding test. The task was easy and felt a bit too simple for a senior candidate but had one tricky part hidden inside that required a bit of puzzle solving. I submitted shortly after and... well, that's it - I didn't hear anything back after that. I sent an email to the engineer that contacted me with a little catch-up note but didn't receive an answer back on that either. The online tool still says my application is "In Process", but I don't believe that I will hear back anymore.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Interview process was very long. Interviewed with about 8 people. Took about 3 months. Slow decisions. Long periods of radio silence then all of a sudden someone would get back to me and say that another person wanted to speak with me. Not everyone agreed on what the role was about, so the lack of agreement between the interviewees on what they were hiring for caused the process to be dragged out. Ironically, all the people who interviewed me are now gone.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the questions. It was more like a series of chats. Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Platform Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

The process for me took around 3 weeks from when I put my applicaiton in and when I finished my interview. I heard from them in two weeks and then had the interview a week following that. My interviewer was great. When I was stuck on a problem, he pointed me in the right direction. I heard back shortly therafter with their decision.

Interview Questions

• Find the maximum sum of a subsequence in the array.   1 Answer

Firefox Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

One first interview with an engineer. No technical questions asked as I mentioned a bugfix into Firefox for Android.
    With his positive feedback I got two other interviews. The first was more technical with javascript questions. The second one was more overall knowledge.
    They all gave me positive feedback but due to the large amount of candidates this year (and given the fact I applied late, in january), they finally rejected my application after 2 weeks without news.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite ES6 feature ?   1 Answer

Platform Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted approximately two weeks after applying online by a recruiter, who then scheduled me for a technical interview the following week. The whole process consisted of three technical interviews, and even though I did not pass the last round, I was assured by my recruiter that it was only three interviews.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me how you would implement a garbage collection algorithm.   Answer Question

Information Architect and Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

30 minute screening call by a 'recruiter' followed by a generic rejection email that didn't indicate that a conversation ever took place. So in essence, even if you talk to them, they'll never stick their necks out far enough to even acknowledge ever speaking with a candidate in the first place.