Murphy Oil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Murphy Oil Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (San Antonio, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Was en easy and relaxed interview. Felt as if I was talking to friends more then interview. It seemed as they were in a hurry to feel the position. No office did the interview outside in the heat.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Murphy Oil.

Interview

The interview process was initially informal and then later turned into a formal one-on-one interview with a hiring manager. Ultimately, this process could have been done over the phone. It was a typical "getting to know you" conversation with the 1st 30 minutes consisting of going over the Murphy Benefits Plan and company culture.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about yourself?"
      "Describe your experience with xyz?"
      1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (College Station, TX).

Interview

Talked to one of their company representatives at the Career Fair at my school. Received an interview soon after the Career Fair. Pretty informal process compared to others - I liked the relaxed yet professional way it was handled. The interview was pretty relaxed and mostly they just asked questions about my resume and involvement. HR for this company is overall very helpful and comprised of good people.

Interview Questions

• The question was complex but summarized was this: A pump unit offshore is drawing too much current, what do you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was given two weeks to respond. Fairly flexible and helpful.

Anonymous Employee in Bremen, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (Bremen, GA) in August 2014.

Interview

Basically showing up for the interview got me the job. Explained to me what all the responsibilities I would be required to do during my shift. He took my information to run a background check and said he would call when everything came back.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pay and benefits are set by the corporate office

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Murphy Oil.

Interview

Met at a restaurant, didn't really ask me anything, as I have a stronger background than the job I wanted part time, gave me papers and said your hired.

Interview Questions

• how much money you want to make? That is a very unprofessional question?   1 Answer

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Dorado, AR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (El Dorado, AR) in April 2013.

Interview

The organization (Murphy USA) has a contract recruiter who contacted me about the opening. Almost all correspondence was done via email until it was time to fly in to El Dorado AR for finals following a 1 hour 45 minute videoconference. The contract recruiter level set my expectations for the role, promotion expectations, compensation targets, and salary opportunity "for the right person," and her very positive cultural experiences with the organization. The subsequent videoconference interview with the Recruiting Manager was thorough and left me with the impression that this was an employer of choice. The Recruiting Manager had a high likeability factor via videoconference and projected a positive leadership style which made me motivated to fly in to meet the rest of the team.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected interview question was actually an answer that I received when asking why the previous recruiter was terminated. Though I understand the reasons that individual was terminated, the operative behavior/correction strategy I heard about was an eye opening shocker. I include that comment paraphrase below from the Recruiting Manager:   1 Answer

I declined the offer because the contract recruiter by phone clearly communicated the highpoint salary opportunity before I flew in. I was scheduled for a half day in person interview (each team member interview session was cut short because I sat in the lobby for one hour during what was to be the first scheduled interview.) Since my interview questions were not addressed in detail due to the allotted time running out due to the late start, I felt I needed to close the Recruiting Manager on having another session the next morning so that I could get my questions answered. In other words, I felt the need to close her on closing me. I was told just before flying out that the offer I could expect would be 6% less than what the contract recruiter indicated before flying in. Four days later, I received a formal written offer that was ANOTHER 6% less than what I was told to expect on the day I flew out. In other words, the offer I finally received was 11-15% LESS than what I was led to believe before investing five days of my life to fly down to discover Murphy USA. I have never seen such a bait and switch in any company I’ve ever worked for or interviewed with. I’m scratching my head: what changed over a one week period? I was told the compensation double downgrades were the decision of the HR Director. During the interviews, I heard about how establishing trust and credibility with the hiring managers was of paramount importance. Based on the final offer I received, I cannot help but wonder if the recruiting methodology Murphy USA wished for me to employ included promising candidates one number by phone, watching for their buying signals during in person meetings, serving up a lesser number for candidates to ruminate over during their flights home, and then delivering in writing a lesser number still at the point of formal offer. One of Murphy USA's published core values addresses "integrity-do the right thing." Another core value states "celebrate." I received what was in essence two pay cuts before I even accepted an offer. Since actions speak louder than words, the celebration I now enjoy is based on maintaining a level of professional integrity that includes NEVER doing to any candidate what Murphy USA did to this Senior Recruiter candidate who would have been responsible for attracting, hiring, and relocating professionals to their enterprise. Since the root word of "recruit" means "to bring new life," the flagship HR leadership at Murphy USA and other GlassDoor reviews demonstrated to me that "recruiting as if people mattered" is optional, and that "integrity" must have an alternative meaning within their four walls.

Anonymous Employee in Cheraw, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (Cheraw, SC) in February 2013.

Interview

The process didn't take long.I was called for an interview.I was asked questions about my values and past projects completed. I had to do videos for training and the other cashiers helped me. It was a hands-on training experience.

Interview Questions

• The manager asked, "What projects have you, or are you, pursuing or have pursued?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was I able to close the store? I said yes.

Planner Scheduler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (Houston, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

My interviews were Phone Interviews, first with my recruiting company and then with my supervisor. The next phone interview was with project manager. The questions were specific to project execution.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my plant and maintenance experiences. Asked about my software expertise and level of software use (Primavera Scheduling software).   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Dorado, AR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (El Dorado, AR) in June 2012.

Interview

The biggest factor was the willingness to learn the industry. If you displayed a track record of work ethic and a positive attitude towards the job that went deeper than "how much will I get paid", it seemed like it put you at the top of the list. The whole process went quickly once the jobs were posted online. I had been made aware of the opening and applied to HR a few months prior to authorization.

Interview Questions

• The hardest question was asking how to solve a problem that you know nothing about. They want you to dive into your thought process and explicitly state each step. It was a fun, but challenging, question as they responded to each step in order to elicit a response. Confidence and professionalism seemed to play a large role in how they picked a candidate because I knew many of the other interviewees. Other than that, the entire interview was standard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (Augusta, GA) in June 2012.

Interview

It was unprofessional. The interview was held outside in the summer heat! No office to conduct interview in. We were outside with the noise and the heat and it was hard to even concentrate on the interview itself.

Interview Questions

• Name one thing about you that would make me want to hire you.   1 Answer