Murphy Oil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Murphy Oil Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (Louisville, KY) in November 2011.

Interview

I had to keep calling to get my foot in the door. I was interviewed in the small kiosk. But it was typical questions, basically personality questions. I was sent to do a drug test and then wait on my background test. Only took about 2-3 days for it all the come back.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you will be ready to work by yourself in about 3 days?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. They told you how much you got paid, either take it or leave.

Anonymous Employee in Rowlett, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (Rowlett, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

Went pretty easy, was called in for a interview. Hiring manager was nice compared to most. I think I got the job. She got me to take a drug test and background check. No word back yet.

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (Dallas, TX) in November 2010.

Interview

The interview process is extremely long and boring. They make you apply online and take a pointless quiz which easily takes up to two hours. The first steep is a phone interview, the next steep is a video interview on the computer, and then finally the real interview. During my real interview the guys were constantly checking the blackberries while I was talking it was very rude.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carthage, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (Carthage, TN) in October 2010.

Interview

I think the interview went well at least I hope it did.

Anonymous Employee in Ripley, TN

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (Ripley, TN) in October 2010.

Interview

i believe murphys has a good interview system. I think they may need to be more careful about who they hire because they keep tending to get people who could care less about their jobs. I personally am very dedicated to my job & do my best to complete my shift as required & go out of my way to do things not asked of me when i have adequate time to do my duties plus extras (it isnt often that the time is even adequate to do the required things.)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

what negotiation? they said you will start out at so & so & in 30 days you will get a raise & in 90 days from that you will get another raise. The money is not bad but its not worth the weather conditions you have to deal with while working.

Anonymous Employee in North Richland Hills, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (North Richland Hills, TX) in July 2010.

Interview

I had been applying at murphys (every one within 15 miles) for a year and a half before i finally got an interview. I got a call i don't know how long after the app, it might have been a few weeks. Interview was 2 days after the call. The interview took place outside by the gas pump. The store manager, and his boss were both present and interviewed me. They were 15 minutes late, i don't know if thats how they always conduct business, but things can happen so you never know. It was obvious they had already decided they wanted to hire me (i filled out online applcation and profile) because they did not ask me many questions. I just have a couple years experience so their standards aren't super high. There were none of those "why do you want to work here" type questions. The majority of the time they were explaining to me the nature of the work and how they hire from within for management position etc... they asked if i wanted part time or full time... then said they only hire part-time for cashier but i would be getting full time hours most the time. They asked where i was currently working, and when i could start working for them. I told them i would need to give my current employer two weeks notice *******They liked this******** this is something that made a good impression on them, that i would give notice an not just up and leave without warning leaving the employer high and dry. They told me they admired that.
    They made a big deal about being able to come in on short notice to cover a shift and said that that was a priority in who they choose for the position. They also stressed that I would have to sell.... not like pitch stuff but the kind of selling like, if a customer is purchasing a bottle of water for $2 tell the customer they are on sale 2 for 3. that kind of selling. Or if they are buying one pack of cigaresstes tell them the special on 3 or 5 packs and how much money they will save by getting the special. It is MANADORY. They asked me if I could pass a drug test, then the store manager took my license for the background check and while he was away me and his boss, i guess the DM BSed for a little while, about the job and working. HE asked if there was anything on my background and I told him I had a theft conviction and blah blah... he said he wanted to hire me regardless and he respected that i told him up front i had a record, but that he didn't have the authority to approve a background check (someone even higher up or HR, i don't know). They really liked me. They told me they started cashiers out at 8.00 and hour but I negotiated it higher. I ACED IT! They said they would call me pending the higher ups decision about my background check, and that i would take the drug test then. I then thanked them for giving me the opportunity to interview. <<<<<<<That part is important and also makes a good impression.

That was it... both of them intervieing me outside, explainging the nature of the work, taking my license for background information. and that was it.

Also, I showed up to this interview dressed nice, like i was interviewing for a management position.

***Edit: I got the call a few days later from the store manager that interviewd me. He was apologizing because he couldn't hire me after all b/c their system rejected my background check. And he was very sorry because he and the GM both wanted to take a chance on me. In a situation like this, i call the higer up or someone in charge of final background approval and sell myelf to change their mind. But he was like, "the system this, the system that" "Once the system rejects background it deletes you out of the system, you are out of the system now" He wouldn't even give me contact info that would have given me a shot at changing someone's mind who can override the system. Gives me the impression they are so dependent on their system they won't make a human decsision to override the systems decision.

Interview Questions

• Where do you live   1 Answer
    • Can you come in on very short notice or work untill midnight?   1 Answer
    • Do you have anything in your background i should know about?   1 Answer
    • Can you pass a drug test?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes. If you make a really good impression you may be able to negotiate. They gave the impression that the starting pay was set in stone. I already had them taken with me and I had a few years related experience and was able to use that to negotiate. If you have something to offer, you might get another quarter or two out of them as your starting pay.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gadsden, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (Gadsden, AL) in January 2010.

Interview

Apply for job, meet with DM for 1 on 1 interview, wait for call back. Go take drug screen. I had 1 interview and we met at a local business to conduct this interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Murphy Oil?   1 Answer
    • What makes you a good manager?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating in my interview.

Anonymous Employee in Lithonia, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (Lithonia, GA) in January 2009.

Interview

I did not have an interview (phone or in person) or drug test. To get in the system you have to pass the online application process, which was stupid "what's a seven letter word for dog" type stuff like that; if you don’t know the answer just open another tab copy and paste the question in Google and ...wahlah!!!! the answer (I guess that is the IQ/Intelligence test). Of course, with every job, they do a background check they do not tell you if passed that are not but I am sure you will know if they hire you. Because they are supposed to train you there is no skills test before (or after) you start. When I came in they needed me that bad so did the training on the computer in a day then took me another day to grasp how to work the register however it was a somewhat slow process because the manager is slow, he slowed me down telling me it would take 3 days to do the training on the computer but in actuality only took 1. Moreover, because he did not want me on the register just yet made me do "yard work" like trash pickup, stocking the cooler and cleaning the pumps and the bathroom while the others who were there longer worked the register. (the whole process a week; probation period then raise a month.)

Interview Questions

• Can you perform the duties of this job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.
    Negotiate especially if you know you are more competent than the manager.

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Murphy Oil (Macon, GA) in June 2008.

Interview

I applied online and received a call three days later. Once I got there, I had to fill out a paper application. I was interviewed by the district manager. The interview was pretty basic and didn't take long. He asked me questions about my past work experience and performed a background check right there on the spot. He told me about the job and what was expected of me.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Murphy USA?   Answer Question
    • If a customer becomes angry, what would you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiation; I was told what I would start off making & that I would receive a raise after the probationary period.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Murphy Oil in January 2014.

Interview

After submitting my application it took roughly four to six weeks to hear back from Murphy Oil due to it being Christmas time. I had two interviews with HR and the team that I would work within. These were conducted very professionally, the initial interview focused more on the technical aspects of the role and how my experience was relevant to the analyst position. The second interview was behavioral based and focused more on my personality and attributes. Murphy also did a background check and had me complete psychometric tests online. All in all the interview process took roughly two months before I was informed of the decision.

Interview Questions

• Cannot remember any specific questions, the HR manager that interviewed me was very professional and made me feel comfortable while interviewing.   1 Answer