Music & Arts Center Marketing Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

4.0

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Music & Arts Center (Frederick, MD) in January 2019.

Interview

I applied through their website right before the holidays December 2018. I received a phone call directly from the Marketing Manager around the 2nd week in January 2019. I was surprised to receive a phone call because I've been used to receiving an email from a company's recruiter and then being routed to the hiring manager; nevertheless, it was a nice surprise to hear directly from her. We had a great conversation. She liked my experience, agencies I’ve worked with, and my experience in grand openings since they've been opening new stores. She then encouraged me to find her on LinkedIn so we could connect and begin the next steps of the interview which was to meet her in person and a few members of her team. Right after our call we began messaging on LinkedIn and confirmed an interview for January 18th.

Up until this point, all communication was done through LinkedIn messenger. She confirmed the salary would be in the low $50k range. I was disappointed because this would be a decrease in my current salary, and I felt the expertise they were looking for warranted something higher. But I was reminded this was Frederick, MD and if this company was a great fit then it may be worth it.

The day of the interview went extremely well. I spoke with another Marketing Manager, their Creative Manager, and the original hiring manager. I enjoyed meeting them and hearing about what they were looking for. I felt like I was a great fit, and the hiring manager even told me I was one of her top candidates. We exchanged laughs, what Harry Potter house we belonged to, and we also talked about different workshops and seminars geared towards women she's attended. I recommended one I participated in recently that I thought she would really like as well. The next steps were to interview with their Director and another member of her staff and that she wanted to give an offer by next Friday - so exactly one week from my interview. She even told me on my way out to visit the closest Music & Arts store to their office. I took her advice, visited the store, asked the staff some questions, took photos, and made sure to prepare myself for the next step of the interview.

And then this is where things got confusing and strange. The following Monday morning, I sent thank you emails to everyone I met, including the hiring manager. Two days later I receive a thank you back from one of the team members and her message said that it was great meeting me and that she wishes me luck on my search. I was a little taken aback because I haven't heard anything from anyone. I got into super over analyzing mode and a bunch of thoughts were running through my head. "Was it a no but she thought someone communicated that already to me?" I definitely got a little anxious. To add to this, the hiring manager (who I am now connected to on LinkedIn) posts that she is hiring and includes the link to the position I applied/interviewed for. So now I'm even more confused. I follow up with the original hiring manager via email and did not hear anything. About a week passes and I follow up with her on LinkedIn - maybe this is her preferred communication? Funny enough, I can see she's online because like Facebook, you're marked as "green" when you're on the app/website. Interestingly, she doesn't open my message because I would see that it’s been "read".

Two weeks go by with no communication. At this point, I can safely assume I didn't get the position. As one can imagine, I was disappointed in the way they went completely dark on me especially when they told me what the next steps were and what to expect. I was even more disappointed because they claimed to work in a very inclusive environment and that they were a company with strong values. I gave it a few more days and after almost three weeks of not hearing anything, I followed up one last time. And because we ended my interview talking about awesome workshops for women and how it's important to empower each other, in my email I asked that as a fellow woman in the Marketing industry I would love to hear back even if it's for feedback on what I could do better. To my surprise, I received an email back within 30 minutes. She shared that it's been a crazy time for them and she was sick. She then explains they are looking for someone with more quantitative experience. A little confusing because I explained in detail during my interview the different types of quantitative and qualitative studies I conduct regularly in my current role. But, you take what you get and move on.

That was an interesting ride that I hope no one ever has to go through. My experience started off great but ended much differently. I would think in this day and age, being "ghosted" was only done on dating apps and high school relationships. I wish the best for Music & Arts, but if this is how an interview is conducted I can only imagine how the business and day-to-day is run.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current position?   1 Answer