N2 Publishing Interview Questions | Glassdoor

N2 Publishing Interview Questions

Updated Jan 15, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at N2 Publishing (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview and my interviewer, Lucas, was extremely informative and clear with me about the position and the company. I really appreciated his honesty and commitment to making sure that this opportunity would be a good fit for both of us. Before we had the phone interview scheduled they sent me an email with links to some videos so that I could familiarize myself with the company, their mission statement, and compensation. Watching the videos allowed me to prepare for the questions I wanted to ask and gave me the chance to learn enough about the company and the opportunity so that I could see if I thought we would be a good fit.
    I was very impressed with everything I learned about N2 Publishing. I thank Lucas for taking his time to conduct the interview.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for regarding your career?
      Tell me about your work experience
      Answer Question

Dec 13, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your feedback! We'll be sure to share with Lucas. Best, Katherine

Area Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at N2 Publishing in November 2016.

Interview

Brought me through the whole interview process just to tell me that they don't work with full time students and I'd have to email them when I graduated. Clearly didn't actually read my resume which said I was a student graduating this year

Interview Questions

N2 Publishing Response

Dec 13, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Hi there, I regret to see that you feel you had a negative experience with us. We have had students work with us in the past, but N2 does take a full-time commitment, especially in the beginning ... More

Area Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at N2 Publishing in November 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for an Area Director position and spoke to someone in HR first. She explained the position to me and the process of starting up a publication. After discovering that it takes 3-4 months to get to the $6k mark in order to publish a publication, I lost interest due to the fact that you are a 1099 and would not be getting paid during that time frame unless you sold in to another existing publication. This position is pretty unique and would be fun if you could handle not being paid much during that 3-4 months, but this is not for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and what you are currently looking for?   1 Answer

Dec 13, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for sharing! We know the opportunity doesn't work for everyone, but we appreciate your willingness to check it out. Please do keep us in mind for the future if your circumstances change ... More

Area Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at N2 Publishing (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

I was prepared, did research on N2. The Glassdoor employee reviews are mostly raving because they make money. However, there is another, much darker side to the process. A lot of people get hurt in the process. Specifically the advertisers, that get no ROI on their investments. The concept is nonsense. People don't need to read ads about businesses in their little area, they know them, unless they live like moles. Only business owners go to the community meetings and exchange business cards...

I confronted the recruiter with my concerns and she immediately got defensive. "This is going in a negative direction," she stated irritated. When I brought up the issue of no ROI for the advertisers, the conversation got tense. Finally, after I mentioned that the whole Christian aspect was bogus, she had enough. "This is not a good fit, sir", she said and hung up on me...

A clever scam that only benefits the founders, who make millions under the cover of being people, family and God oriented. The Christian aspect is very troubling, because it's exactly the opposite that's happening. It's all about money, ruthless if need be. N2 won't shy away from lawsuits to force disgruntled advertisers to honor their long term contracts (up to 4 years!?), even when owners went out of business. Beware and steer clear!

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer

Oct 3, 2016 – Marketing Coordinator

Hi there, I'm very sorry to hear about your perspective on our company, but I am looking forward to the opportunity to change it. I'd like to start by addressing your concern that we are not a ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at N2 Publishing (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

We scheduled the interview through e-mail, then I received a lady asked me to tell me something about myself. I answered the question. She asked if I can accept to receive the salary after 3 month and I said I'm ok with it.

Area Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at N2 Publishing (Rochester, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Responded pretty quickly. I did a lot of research prior to and understood the risks and implications of being an independent contractor. They reiterated to make sure I understood the ramp up phase, which can be difficult and challenging. I had the initial screening with the business development team, then interview with a sales director the following week. Follow up with another interview with the Sales Director in my district, which asked more situational questions and such. I've never had phone interviews (always panel interviews in the past) so this was a different experience for me--not as horrible as I imagined, not being able to see the interviewer and all. In the end, I accepted the offer and look forward to the training and working my butt off. It was a risk I was willing to take, and I'm excited for this opportunity. They seem very sincere in wanting you to succeed as long as you're coachable and can follow a proven system. Will write another review in the next couple months as follow up...

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at N2 Publishing (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I had 3 interviews. The first one was just a screening. The second and third were more in depth about the job description. Information was repeated a lot in the third interview, but ended with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you set goals and achieved them.   Answer Question

Area Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at N2 Publishing in August 2016.

Interview

Chatted on the phone about the position for about 25 minutes. Pleasant conversation with the interviewer. Spoke generally about the position and why past experience makes me suitable for the role.

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at N2 Publishing (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

This is a straight commission - build-your-own-business type of role. I knew that, and I am fine with that. I was contacted by one of their recruiters and has a simple initial interview. I was then told I need to talk to the Manager for my territory, but that person was unavailable for 2+ weeks because all of the managers are on vacation or family leave. We set an appointment for 2+ weeks out. On the appointment date and time, I called the person who I was supposed to interview with and got voicemail. He called me right back, but he seemed annoyed and wasn't prepared. He asked me just one question that I recall and basically just retold me the same materials that they had asked me to review prior to the meeting.

I asked about territory because I wanted to make sure the available area was close to where I live (since I'll be selling there everyday). He told me that he could not share anything with me yet about which territory might be available.

I asked about the on boarding process, and he told me I would need to call someone else in my territory and set up a time to meet with that person. He said I'd need to take an assessment online also, and then to call him back after meeting with a local person. He said there would be more meetings over the next 3 weeks to a month, and if I successfully passed all of that, then I would be invited, at my own expense to Chicago for their next training class. He did not share with me when that might be. He just sounded annoyed and frustrated in general.

I got the assessment link. It is a personality test but also an SAT knowledge based test with sections on mathematics and word definitions. I got about 40 minutes into it and decided that a company that isn't going to pay me a salary, nor pay for training, and won't tell me where the open territory is, makes me wait for 2 weeks for an 'interview' that was just a relaying of data. and then will make be interview at various times over the next month..they're not for me. Thorough is one thing. But I'm not making any money while I wait for them to get their act together.

Everybody says these guys are great, and if you can get through the BS to get started with them, maybe they are. But that's a lot of hoops to make me jump thru and a long time to wait before I can even determine if this is viable for me...and THEN wait 3-9 months longer to start making money after I start with the company. Yea...I respectfully withdrew my application.

Their intro video with the CEO talks about the respect they have for one another, but I guess that doesn't extend to their potential new team members. I was really disappointed.

Interview Questions

• why did I want to join (I think that was literally the only question he asked)
      Plus the assessment he wanted me to take
      Answer Question

Aug 8, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Hi there, We are very sorry to hear about your experience interviewing with us. Please know, this is not the interview experience we strive for. We do feel that we offer a wonderful opportunity ... More

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at N2 Publishing (Tampa, FL) in July 2016.

Interview

I was called by a recruiter two days after I applied. After I talked to the recruiter he told me he thought I would be a great fit and scheduled a phone interview with a Sales Director. He gave me his phone number and a time to call three days later. Both the Recruiter and the Sales Director mostly explained the position in detail and asked me if I would be okay for three months without getting paid during ramp up. They asked me if I had any questions about the position. After I asked my questions they explained the position and asked me a couple questions about my experience listed on my resume. The Sales Director seemed excited and told me that he would like to schedule an interview with his wife (another Sales Director) that worked with him who was the "Subject Matter Expert" on the area I would be working in. He gave me a time 4 days after my second interview and told me his wife would call.

A very professional women called me and asked me situational questions, very much like other interviews I have been in. She kept stressing how difficult the position is and that they are trying to find great employees, rather than mediocre people. She told me she was in the process of interviewing other people and would like to schedule a second interview with me. She opened the floor for questions. By this time I wrote down many questions and she answered most of them and was extremely knowledgeable.

My second interview with her was very similar to the first. She asked me some of the same questions and went over the job description. She asked more situational questions and more about my personality. She was asking me why I would make a great asset/ team member. I was kind of "selling" my skills and personality to her. I think is a great tactic to see if someone is persuasive or not. If you can't sell your personality, then you will not be able to sell anything. When I could tell that the interview was wrapping up, I asked when I should hear if I got the job. She started explaining what they are looking for again. To be honest I was scared I did not get the job because of her conversation after me asking. For some reason as she was talking it did not sound optimistic. Then all of a sudden she told me that I am exactly what she is looking for, and that she would like to formally offer me a job with N2 Publishing. I was extremely excited and accepted over the phone! She sent me paperwork and an NDA via email that evening.

The process was long (the longest interview I have ever done); however, it was not extremely difficult.They really are focused on finding good people with integrity and who are team players. The company culture is a lot different that other sales jobs I have encountered. I am extremely excited to be involved in such a honorable organization.