NASA Ames Research Center Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 3, 2017

2.4

Security Operations Center Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NASA Ames Research Center (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I submitted my application through my college job boards and received a call from the agency within 3 days. From then, I scheduled an interview for 3 days after the call. When I showed up to the interview, I was seated in front of four panels of 3 current staff members, including, at some points, senior members and recent hires. The entire interview took roughly four hours to complete.

Interview Questions

• While working IT and assisting a user, if that user falsely reports that he/she followed your instructions and that led to an exacerbation of the problem, how would you respond.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NASA Ames Research Center in April 2016.

Interview

I had two different phone interviews with two of the scientists involved in the project I would be working on, one of whom would be my mentor. After the initial phone screen, I was invited to an onsite interview where I was asked mostly behavioral questions and questions about my experience, and one technical question. (The role was a Python programming role)

Interview Questions

• If you had a large file of words mapped to their definitions, what would be the best data structure to use?   Answer Question

NASA Ames Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NASA Ames Research Center.

Interview

Just a bunch of behavioral questions. Nothing technical and I didn't need to prepare for it. They accepted many interns, but at that time, I think I was the only one applying. It wasn't really an interview, more like an orientation. In some sense I think I got a tad lucky.

NPP Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NASA Ames Research Center.

Interview

15 Page grant application including CV and references. Communication with the mentor is required before submitting the grant application on most occasions. Grants are reviewed by a panel and applications are recommended for selection and given a 2 year post.

Interview Questions

• There was not any direct interview questions but communication with future mentor is required.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NASA Ames Research Center.

Interview

Applied online and then received a phone interview a few weeks later. There were a few technical questions but nothing too hard. The bulk of the interview focused on my personality and how I would fit with the team. Really nice people going from the recruiters to the team themselves.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you and someone else had different approach to the same problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotation

Aero-Physics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moffett Field, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NASA Ames Research Center (Moffett Field, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Asked three technical questions followed by a CAD portion of the interview. Interviewer was personable and easy to talk to. Interview lasted around 40 minutes, 20 for the questioning part and 20 for the CAD portion.

Web Programmer () Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NASA Ames Research Center (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Behavioral interview nothing technical. Then again I had made friends with a software developer there and they personally pushed through my resume to their boss. Best thing to do if you if you have a chance to job shadow is to take your resume and network. Another thing is to also personally contact their internship coordinator that can also help you get in, it did for me.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA Ames Research Center (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Brief Phone interview, and a phone screen talk with the manager looking to higher. Very straight forward process and I did like the swiftness on how it was handled. NASA was a great place to work. Every one is friendly and wants to help you out. It was a great expereince overall

Interview Questions

• Why you would work there. More about past experience and skills   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Brief phone conversation. Very low pressure. Applied online through OSSI, which requires a letter of reference, a transcript, and some essays. Then received a phone call a few weeks later.

UAV Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moffett Field, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NASA Ames Research Center (Moffett Field, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was done on the phone, and the employer asked me about four questions. He asked about situations in which I faced a problem and how I would handle it (to see how I would do if I were working there for real). Some questions were, "When you have a lot of deadlines coming up at once, how do you deal with that workload?" and "Have you faced any problems in the workforce, such as a conflict with a colleague or an unexpected change in a deadline, and if so, how have you dealt with that problem?" After the phone interview, the employer selected which interns he was going to choose. (The interview process would probably be longer for a full-time job; this was only a summer internship.) I gave a negative rating for overall experience because the employer's phone echoed; so after I said something, I could literally hear myself loud and clear. It was really nerve-wracking and completely distracted me.

Interview Questions

• When you have a lot of deadlines coming up at once, how do you deal with that workload?   Answer Question
    • Have you faced any problems in the workforce, such as a conflict with a colleague or an unexpected change in a deadline, and if so, how have you dealt with that problem?   Answer Question