NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 9, 2017

2.6

80 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Electronic Parts Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I received an email for a phone interview. I had the interview the next day and person interviewing me went over my resume and asked about the projects I've been involved in. I talked about a project that I learned the most from. Interview only took about 15 to 20 minutes and I am waiting to hear any email responses for my application.

Mechanical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

It was a very easy going interview. It felt more like a conversation than an interview. We went over items on my resume and why I was interested in JPL.

Lead Systems Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Received a call from hiring manager with screener question. A few weeks later was invited for onsite interview. This is one of the most organized and best interview experiences I have had. They setup travel, hotel, car and paid for everything. All I had to do was show up. I received the interview schedule a few days prior and everything went according to schedule. Had 5 one on one interviews with technical and culture fit questions.

Member of the Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA).

Interview

I spent the day on campus rotating through different groups and speaking with supervisors. It was very conversational and focused on what the groups worked on and what I was interested in. In other words, the interviews were more about establishing a fit rather than testing technical ability. This is possibly due to the fact that I have a PhD and so my technical abilities were already vetted -- I also had to give a 45 min seminar. A few groups weren't hiring but it was still valuable to speak with them.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Canada Flintridge, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (La Canada Flintridge, CA).

Interview

A resume was discussed during the interview and answered the question or comments from the employer or related potential co-workers. Make comments and suggestions to the employer's perspective future work and task.

Interview Questions

• How to resolve the most critical issue in my past work?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, received an email a few months later from my mentor asking to schedule a phone interview. Interview was with him and two others and involved a basic walk through my resume. Received the offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions about the project you will be working on?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Analyst Ll Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Submitted online, contacted via email 2 week's later, phone screen 1 week later, contacted 2 week's later for onsite interview. Flown out to Pasadena for an interview, all accommodations were paid. People were great I interviewed with. The hiring Manager even asked when I could start. I never heard back from JPL afterwards, so I was disappointed more so in how they handled things afterwards. The other reviews on here about HR not getting back to you definitely hold true if an offer isn't extended. I'm not sure if that's policy, but it's rather unprofessional especially since they flew me out there. That was the only downside to the interview process, otherwise, it was very positive.

Interview Questions

• Asked technical questions and some behavorial. Overall it was laid back and very conversational.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I am a college student at a college with connections to JPL. I emailed the lead of a robotics group I was interested in and set up an phone interview, leading to a more technical interview on JPL's campus.

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

After two fairly brief phone interviews, I was invited to interview with the departmental director on the campus. The interview was surprisingly informal and conversational, which is not what I would have expected for such a large institution. The director expressed an interest in suiting the position to my strengths, which was also a pleasant surprise. After about an hour, an HR staffer followed up with some answers regarding the over hiring process, benefits, facilities, etc.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with interdepartmental clients who have unreasonable expectations for your web or design work?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA).

Interview

I started by visiting the JPL booth during a campus career fair. The reps I spoke with were nice, but of course it's JPL so they had a 45-60 min line and the conversation had to be kept fairly short and routine (basically apply online here's our handouts). The guy I spoke with let me know of an info-session later that night that he "strongly" encouraged me to attend. I decided to go and at the info session they went over the interview timelines and schedules, but most importantly I got face time with some engineers actually scouting out recruits for open positions. I spoke with one engineer who said he thought I'd be a great fit for different division, and he held onto my resume and said he'd pass it to the relevant hiring manager.

A few days pass and the week after I'm called to schedule a 1-hour on-campus interview at my university with a division manager. The interview was pretty casual, and the manager was very friendly. He gave the quick pitch about JPL and what they do (though I feel most people interviewing for them already have a good idea :) ), then asked questions mainly about my experience. These questions were somewhat technical, but if you know what's on your resume you'd be fine. There were also a few behavioral questions (handling difficult team members, managing disagreements, dealing with extremely tough deadlines under pressure) and also a few career questions (Why JPL? Where do you think you'd fit in best? Do you want to be a manager or an engineer?). At the end he said his division was looking for people with my skillset, and would forward my info to several groups for an on-lab interview at JPL's campus.

Fast-forward maybe a month or so and I have a few offers from other companies. I notify JPL and ask if they can expedite, and then I'm contacted to set up travel arrangements to the campus. Airfare, lodging, and a rental car are all covered. I'm told to prepare a 30-minute technical presentation to cover my background and experience. The day of I show up at JPL and go through an orientation and breakfast with a few other candidates before being handed off to the division I'm interviewing with. I start off with the presentation, and following that I go through a few one-on-one interviews with the different group managers, lunch with an engineer, a tour of the control room (BEST PART!), then a few more one-on-ones. Each interview was different and there was no standard format, some were casual, a few were extremely technical (be prepared to answer in-depth whiteboard questions relating to any topic you have listed on your resume), everyone was extremely knowledgeable so if the thought ever crosses your mind to try and BS an answer just don't. After my final interview they said they'd let me know after a few days and that was that. The next week a recruiter gave me a call and said they were extending an offer. There was absolutely zero wiggle room for salary negotiation (though I think it might vary on a division by division basis), and they were pretty upfront about this.

Interview Questions

• Asked me a lot of questions regarding the student CubeSat project I'm working on. Being JPL, this was a good conversation starter.   Answer Question
    • What is the most complex hardware/software system you've worked with in recent history? Followed by a technical deep dive into its implementation.   1 Answer
    • How would you guard a digital processor or FPGA system against the harsh environment of space (SEU faults, radiation mitigation)?   1 Answer
    • How would you design, and most importantly verify, a digital system design and software to operate in space for up to a 10 year mission.   Answer Question