NBCUniversal Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 16, 2017

2.8

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NBCUniversal (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Someone reached out via email and said to click on a link for a video interview. You have 72 hours to do the video interview. They let you have a practice round first which is nice because I had no idea what to expect. There were two written questions and 3 video questions. The questions were a mix of technical questions such as describe and list your skills and pretty general questions such as Why NBCUniversal or Why entertainment.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NBCUniversal (Orlando, FL) in May 2017.

Interview

This was probably the worst phone screening I’ve ever had. After the recruiter asked me the usual generic questions (like, why did you apply for this job), we moved on to reviewing my portfolio on my website, and this is where things deteriorated. My site requires a login/password, as I find it is critical to protect one’s online presence and identity in today’s world. Well, it took her some time to type in the simple username/password I provided, and she made it clear that she was annoyed at having to do this. After getting to my artwork page, she had nothing to say about what was on it (she had no comments on the files she requested I send her, either), so I thought I’d show her a video in an attempt to get some discussion around design going, which I quickly uploaded and I gave her the address which consisted of simply changing the html file name at the end of my URL (not difficult to do!). Well, she just couldn’t figure out how to do that, so I said, okay, I’ll email you the link, which I did, she got the email but still had trouble going to the URL. She said something silly about how their servers block links in emails (really?) and then angrily proclaimed, “Okay, that’s it, this isn’t working, we’re gonna have to move on here” and proceeded to lecture me that if we move forward I’m going to have to provide my portfolio in a simple PDF that can then be distributed to the creative team for review. I wondered how that would work with sharing video (particularly when this company blocks URLS in their emails), but thought it best not to bring it up as I could tell she was already irritated.

It seems to me that this person should have reviewed the material on my website beforehand so that she could have been prepared with questions to ask me about what she saw, or at least have my website ready to review on her screen for our call. And, if she was in a situation where she could not view it properly (can’t enter a simple login, can’t view a link in an email), then she should not have been tasked with the job of screening designers like myself.

I’d also like to point out the observation that in order to apply for this job, I had to go through a multi-step application process on their ATS. This included creating an account with a login username/password, uploading my resume and then re-entering most of my resume information, and checking off several pages of EEO questions. Never once did I throw up my arms and yell “this is not gonna work!” So, I don’t think it’s insane for me to expect a company representative to enter a simple username/password to view my website.

Finally, she demanded my salary requirements. I said I have no salary requirements, as I’m currently in another state where salaries are quite different than Florida’s, so I’m open to hearing any offers or at least a range. She said that they don’t have a budget yet, and that this is how they create a salary range, by asking applicants what their salary requirements are. Are you kidding me?!?!?!? I’ve never heard of such nonsense! I don’t believe for one second that NBCUniversal had no budget for this job and that this recruiter had no idea what this job pays. Clearly, this was yet another blatant example of a company looking to get the cheapest worker they could find. So, I continued to hold firm to my refusal to provide a figure. This is when she got nasty with me. She sternly barked, “You mean to tell me that you’re applying for jobs in Florida and you haven’t researched the salaries?” I said, yes, I have seen the salaries, and they’re pretty much all over the place, I’ve seen some as high as in the 60Ks and as low as $10/hour, and of course I won’t accept $10/hour but I’m sure you’re not offering that. She again demanded a figure. I refused. She asked me if I want a few days to think about it and get back to her with a figure. I said, no, I’ll withdraw as an applicant for this job. She was pretty surprised by that response, and again sternly lectured me about how one should know what they’re looking for in a salary, to which I said that most companies have a predetermined salary range. In conclusion, a truly horrible experience. I'm guessing that as there was "no budget" then there probably was no job, either, and they were just looking into what it might cost them IF they decided to hire for this role.

Web/Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NBCUniversal (Stamford, CT).

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted by an internal recruiter who set up a time to discuss my background, qualifications etc. was contacted 2 days later to set up an interview. Met with supervisor and asked basic interview questions. Laid back

Interview Questions

• Why nbcuniversal?
      How would people that know you describe you?
      What is one weakness you have?   Answer Question

Apr 10, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there, thanks for leaving this review. We're happy to see that you had a pleasant experience with one of our recruiters. While we would've loved to work with you, we hope that whatever you're... More

Production Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at NBCUniversal.

Interview

I applied online and submitted a resume to a recruiter. A couple of months after submitting, I did a video interview where I filmed myself answering questions.A few weeks after that, I got a call from a producer.

Interview Questions

NBCUniversal Response

Apr 10, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there! Thanks for leaving this review! We appreciate your interest in NBCUniversal, and hope that you'll apply to more open positions in the future. Best of luck and take care! - The NBCU Talent... More

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NBCUniversal (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied then I was interviewed in Chicago. I was one of 15 people. It was a 30 min interview. Questioned varied from future career goals, what stories you want to cover, what work have you done, etc.

West Coast Page Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NBCUniversal (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

First is the general application which consisted of 2 essay questions, then the video interview (kind of awk, but easy and straight forward enough) and then finally the notorious panel.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you solved a problem in your job or internship   Answer Question

NBC News Associate Program Interview

Application

Interview

The first round interview process went really well. The interviewer was professional and gave constructive criticism of my interview. I thought all of the questions were very relevant to the position and they were unique enough in which I could provide my own perspective on my experience thus far as a journalist.

NBC Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NBCUniversal (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online for the internship in December and did not hear back until February. From what was shared from everyone, it's a three part process consisting of web/video, phone, and in-person. I was invited to complete a web/video interview, which was a new process to me, but wasn't too bad. I'd recommend practicing in front of a camera before recording yourself for the interview so you're more comfortable essentially speaking to yourself because the questions pop up on the screen.

Interview Questions

• Why NBC? Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer

Apr 10, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there! Thanks so much for the review. We're so happy to have you on board as an intern! Our Campus 2 Career program has a lot to offer, and we're excited that you have the chance to make the most... More

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NBCUniversal in March 2017.

Interview

I received an email saying that they wanted me to do a video interview, and if it goes well they will contact me for a final round interview. I am expected to hear back within the next month or so.

Interview Questions

NBCUniversal Response

Apr 10, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there, thanks for leaving this review! We know the application process can be nerve-racking at times, but we appreciate your interest with NBCUniversal. Best of luck! - The NBCU Talent Acquisition... More

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at NBCUniversal (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied January, heard back in February to set up an in-person interview for March. I should be hearing back in early April. Overall, it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• If there were multiple people asking you to complete different tasks, how would you handle it?   1 Answer

Apr 10, 2017 – Talent Branding Specialist

Hi there! Thanks for leaving this review. Welcome to NBCUniversal! We're happy to have you with on board with us, and we can't wait to see all the great things you'll accomplish! Good luck! - The... More