NCH Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NCH Interview Questions

Updated May 28, 2017

2.3

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at NCH in December 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn who first provided me a general questionnaire to fill out. A couple of days later, there was a screening call with the recruiter, where I was asked the same questions that were already filled out in the questionnaire.

A week after that, I had a phone interview setup with the Engineering Manager. The interview was around 30-45 minutes of 'behavioral' and 'prior experience' related questions. I inquired about the next steps and the timeline of this interview process. The engineering manager mentioned that there would either be a Skype call or an onsite visit depending on how busy they were and that would be the final step.

After around 10 days, the recruiter contacted me again saying they had decided to go with a Skype call because the Engineering Director of the company (situated out of Texas) wanted to interview me. The Skype call with the Manager and Director was around 45-60 minutes and it was a repeat of my prior interview with the exact same experience and behavioral questions. At the end of the Skype call, I was told that the next step would be, to have an onsite interview and that they needed a week or two to decide if I would be moving on to the next stage.

I kept following up every week with the recruiter and the manager regarding the next step. After 2 weeks, the recruiter emailed me, saying that I was selected for an on-site interview. I was provided with an interview schedule and a travel itinerary. The interview schedule mentioned that there would be a couple of standard interviews, first with a Manufacturing Manager and then a final interview with the Engineering Manager. That was all the information I was given for the on-site interview, in terms of preparation.

After reaching the on site location, I was informed that there would be a few technical rounds after the interviews. This was something that I was not made aware of in my interview schedule. First, there was a 45-50 minutes interview with the engineering manager, manufacturing manager and an engineer, about my background and experience with a lot of the same questions from the previous interviews. Next, I had a 20-30 minutes technical viva voce with the manager and engineer, focusing on plastics components created by NCH. The round after that featured a 30-40 minutes technical written exam which focused on GD&T, mechanical, thermal, plastics and critical reasoning questions. For the 3rd technical round, I had a 30-40 minutes CAD proficiency exam where I was handed a caliper and a plastic component, and asked to recreate the component in SolidWorks. Although, I was not informed about any of these technical exams, I feel I performed really well given the situation. Lastly, I had a 15 minutes interview with the engineering manager finishing up the process.

Two days later the engineering manager sent me an email saying, they chose someone else for the position as that person had direct experience in the industry. No other reason was given and communication stopped shortly after that.

This was highly frustrating, as I had given multiple interviews, boarded multiple flights in a single day to make it to the onsite interview, gave an exhaustive 3 hour technical interview (which I was not informed about by the recruiter or the manager in the interview schedule) and finally rejected with a weak excuse about direct experience which could've been given at any point after the first few phone interviews.

Although, I'm thankful for the opportunity, the interview process could have been a lot more streamlined and less time consuming. Repeated questions could have been avoided and multiple interviews could have been avoided. It felt that the corporate and local offices were different entities that did not communicate effectively to create an efficient interview process.

Interview Questions

• Brush up on your mechanical engineering fundamentals and practice SolidWorks prior to the interview.   Answer Question

IT Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NCH (Irving, TX) in February 2011.

Interview

To make a quality decision it is necessary to get as much quality data as possible. View your list of questions as the starting point. Each question should generate many probing questions. The purpose of your probing questions is to get more and better information.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at NCH in November 2011.

Interview

Applied on Linkedin.com, had a phone interview with in house recruiter, she called me back the next day, asked me to come in for a face to face with her. Met with her face to face, real basic questions mainly about my resume background( I think it was to see how I carried myself while speaking), asked basic HR sales questions: tell me about a time when you faced a difficulty in trying to make a sale, etc.. After that got an email that I was wanted to come in and meet with the director of the company, had a face to face with him that consisted of him wanting to get to know me and basically to see if my personality would fit in with the work enviornment at the company. Was asked to come back for a second face to face, I brought a presentation to help seal the deal showing what I could bring to the company. A day later I had an offer made to me and I accepted. The whole process was amazing and I thought it all was handled with class and everyone I spoke with was great!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was able to slightly negotiate, they had a set price for salary, I talked about the situation I was in benefits wise and they worked with me to make it worth my wild to come on board and take care of the issues I was going to have. 1st class company!

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NCH in April 2010.

Interview

Applied online, phone screened, interview with manager (1-3 hrs) -lot's of non-standard interview questions- interested in your educational and work history and motivations for decisions in each. 1 day in field with a rep. Then 2nd in-person interview is w/VP (1-3 hrs) -interested in your level of commitment. Wear a suit and tie for these interviews is my recommendation. Those interviewing you are very professional and fairly formal. Do not act too cocky in the interview process and keep your ego in check, though this is an outside sales position which obviously requires a decent level of enthusiasm. Show long-term career interest, a stick and stay attitude and persistence will help. Any hands on experience in the past with products and/or not being afraid to get your hands dirty is helpful.

Notes: Should have asked more questions of the sales rep during my ride-a-long day. Should have made sure I was crystal clear on their compensation and pay structure. Should have read all the fine print of the employment contract before signing... might not have signed if I understood of all the aforementioned clearly. Know you may drive 1500-2000 miles a month in your own personal vehicle.

Interview Questions

• Where did you go to college... what was your major... WHY?   1 Answer
    • Lot's of questions around past jobs and companies worked at --and WHY you chose that job, that company, and what motivated you in the past to do what you did work-wise.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Wasn't able to negotiate at all. Job is really 100% commission but first 90 days they'll help with a very very small base salary + aggressive commission rate. Can opt for salary if performed well during first 90 days but the position is geared to be 100% commission as soon as you can stand on your own two feet (anywhere inside the first 90-365 days or more. Make sure to ask very detailed questions about compensation structure, make sure to read all the fine print in the contract before signing. Make sure you can afford the first 6-12 months of this position since lot's of time is required to build up your income.

Director of Ecommerce Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NCH (Dallas, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

First round was HR interviews with both a recruiter and Hr person. Next stage was three phone interviews with key leaders. Final stage was an onsite with a handful of interviews.

Interview Questions

• If I were launching a new product--what would my methodology be for preparing its launch.   Answer Question

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NCH in November 2016.

Interview

I applied the position online and two days later a recruiter contacted me and asked some basic questions via email. One week later, she asked me to resend the resume to her. Several days later, she contacted me again and arranged a phone interview with an engineer. The interview mainly focused on past experience and some behavior questions.

IT= Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NCH (Irving, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied in April in Irving, Texas and ended up getting invited to drive down to their office for an interview. The interview was laid back, not as technical as other interviews. It was more of them just asking about certain aspects on your resume, and to explain your talents in more detail. I was asked about what courses I have taken in school so far. They were more just trying to see if you were a good fit within the company.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about X-Chem?
      Tell me more about SQL (arbitrary, could be any language) on your resume.
      What courses have you taken so far in school?   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NCH (Irving, TX) in April 2012.

Interview

2 phone interviews and 1 on-site interview. I applied through LinkedIn and also sent a message to the recruiter through LinkedIn. Got a call within 2 days and set up a phone interview a couple of days later. Heard back from the HR within a week's time and got invited for an on-site interview. Interviewed with 3 people, took about 2 hours for the entire interview process. Got the offer in about 7-10 days.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at NCH (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through Indeed. Got a call from HR after a month or so. Had good HR interview then scheduled onsite interview with 3 interviewers. Total duration of onsite interview was 3 hours. But the saddest part is I did not get any response after that. Many times I called up for follow up but no one answered my calls even sent an email to HR but no response. This is not expected from a such big company.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose this field?   1 Answer

Chemist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NCH in September 2013.

Interview

Contacted by HR via phone. Spoke on phone with HR. Later spoke on phone with Vice President. Flew into town for in person interview with Vice President. The interview seemed very informal. I was introduced to other Vice Presidents. The interview was very brief. I was told, "I knew that I was going to hire you before you even got here. Let's just talk about money."