NCH Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NCH Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2017

3.3

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at NCH in December 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn who first provided me a general questionnaire to fill out. A couple of days later, there was a screening call with the recruiter, where I was asked the same questions that were already filled out in the questionnaire.

A week after that, I had a phone interview setup with the Engineering Manager. The interview was around 30-45 minutes of 'behavioral' and 'prior experience' related questions. I inquired about the next steps and the timeline of this interview process. The engineering manager mentioned that there would either be a Skype call or an onsite visit depending on how busy they were and that would be the final step.

After around 10 days, the recruiter contacted me again saying they had decided to go with a Skype call because the Engineering Director of the company (situated out of Texas) wanted to interview me. The Skype call with the Manager and Director was around 45-60 minutes and it was a repeat of my prior interview with the exact same experience and behavioral questions. At the end of the Skype call, I was told that the next step would be, to have an onsite interview and that they needed a week or two to decide if I would be moving on to the next stage.

I kept following up every week with the recruiter and the manager regarding the next step. After 2 weeks, the recruiter emailed me, saying that I was selected for an on-site interview. I was provided with an interview schedule and a travel itinerary. The interview schedule mentioned that there would be a couple of standard interviews, first with a Manufacturing Manager and then a final interview with the Engineering Manager. That was all the information I was given for the on-site interview, in terms of preparation.

After reaching the on site location, I was informed that there would be a few technical rounds after the interviews. This was something that I was not made aware of in my interview schedule. First, there was a 45-50 minutes interview with the engineering manager, manufacturing manager and an engineer, about my background and experience with a lot of the same questions from the previous interviews. Next, I had a 20-30 minutes technical viva voce with the manager and engineer, focusing on plastics components created by NCH. The round after that featured a 30-40 minutes technical written exam which focused on GD&T, mechanical, thermal, plastics and critical reasoning questions. For the 3rd technical round, I had a 30-40 minutes CAD proficiency exam where I was handed a caliper and a plastic component, and asked to recreate the component in SolidWorks. Although, I was not informed about any of these technical exams, I feel I performed really well given the situation. Lastly, I had a 15 minutes interview with the engineering manager finishing up the process.

Two days later the engineering manager sent me an email saying, they chose someone else for the position as that person had direct experience in the industry. No other reason was given and communication stopped shortly after that.

This was highly frustrating, as I had given multiple interviews, boarded multiple flights in a single day to make it to the onsite interview, gave an exhaustive 3 hour technical interview (which I was not informed about by the recruiter or the manager in the interview schedule) and finally rejected with a weak excuse about direct experience which could've been given at any point after the first few phone interviews.

Although, I'm thankful for the opportunity, the interview process could have been a lot more streamlined and less time consuming. Repeated questions could have been avoided and multiple interviews could have been avoided. It felt that the corporate and local offices were different entities that did not communicate effectively to create an efficient interview process.

Interview Questions

• Brush up on your mechanical engineering fundamentals and practice SolidWorks prior to the interview.   Answer Question

IT Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NCH (Irving, TX) in February 2011.

Interview

To make a quality decision it is necessary to get as much quality data as possible. View your list of questions as the starting point. Each question should generate many probing questions. The purpose of your probing questions is to get more and better information.

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NCH in November 2016.

Interview

I applied the position online and two days later a recruiter contacted me and asked some basic questions via email. One week later, she asked me to resend the resume to her. Several days later, she contacted me again and arranged a phone interview with an engineer. The interview mainly focused on past experience and some behavior questions.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at NCH (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through Indeed. Got a call from HR after a month or so. Had good HR interview then scheduled onsite interview with 3 interviewers. Total duration of onsite interview was 3 hours. But the saddest part is I did not get any response after that. Many times I called up for follow up but no one answered my calls even sent an email to HR but no response. This is not expected from a such big company.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose this field?   1 Answer

Supply Chain Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at NCH.

Interview

I applied for the position and was called back the next day to set up a phone screen interview with the recruiter. After another phone interview with a business manager, I had 5 on-site interviews, which I thought all went very well. Up until then, it was a very quick and efficient process. After the on-site interviews, however, the recruiter would not answer any email inquiries into the status of the position. Five weeks later I finally heard from the company through a standard rejection email. I do wish the recruiter had been more helpful post-interview. Five weeks is a long time to wait when you're not currently employed.

Interview Questions

• One manager asked questions about the logic used in making decisions - i.e. Why did you choose that university? Why that major? Why that first job?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NCH (Dallas, TX) in April 2012.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a phone interview and a face-to-face interview with the supervisor that is over the internship. The interviewer mostly talked, and he didn't ask many questions. He talked about the position without trying to figure out if I fit the needs of the organization. I felt like the position was pretty basic, but he talked at length about it.

Senior Forecasting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at NCH (Irving, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

Efficient hiring process - got a call to schedule an HR interview within a couple of days of applying online. Had a positive HR interview, but did not receive offer because I wasn't from the CPG industry. Seems like the company has a good culture (Danco Inc., subsidiary of NCH), and might have been a great place to work for, had I been the right fit. Gracious HR manager, and very helpful, even took the time to give me feedback once I called after receiving the note that they were going with someone else.

Vice President Finance & Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NCH (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I took time off of work to fly to Dallas and interview but I did not get the agenda until the last minute. Most of the interviews seemed normal. An HR director asked some questions which I promptly gave answers to and then she kept telling me that there is no right answer like I needed her assurance even though I answered the questions promptly and with confidence. It was odd.

When I first decided to take the interview I told NCH that I would need a quick response or they should not bother with me because I would want my son to start school at the beginning of the year. When the process stalled I pulled out and then it was a hassle to get reimbursed for my miscellaneous expenses.

Interview Questions

• Why would I want to move to Texas. I has already told them I lived there previously and would welcome an opportunity to return.   Answer Question