NCR Communication Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.5

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NCR (Atlanta, GA) in March 2012.

Interview

The four interviewers I met seemed quite personable, but also very down to business. They mentioned having a difficult time filling this role for several months. The company is in transition, having acquired a new company less than a year ago. It's clear they expect results and require a high degree of accountability. For a time, the role would be reporting through marketing from the company that was acquired the possibly transition to reporting to a global PR person in London. Though, I received conflicting statements on this so it might not be clear on the future of the reporting structure. They are looking for strong leader who can take charge of the role and make key strategic decisions on their own.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince someone who is on a non-PR role to take your strategic counsel?   Answer Question
    • What steps would you take once hired for this role to start creating your strategic plans?   Answer Question

Corporate Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at NCR (Atlanta, GA) in May 2011.

Interview

First phone interview by a third-party recruiting company. Dry, confirmation of resume details. 1 hour

Second interview was a group/panel interview of three NCR team members by phone. 1.5 hours

Third interview was at the NCR offices, with the same panel but this time with face-to-face interaction of the one ATL-based contact in the group. 1.25 hours

No contact or follow-up on the position after that, which was weird. They must have invested more than 10-12 man hours in me so it seemed odd that no feedback was provided after the third interview. Not known if the position was filled or deleted.

Internal Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NCR (Duluth, GA) in April 2010.

Interview

The hiring process for NCR is fairly standard. After applying, you hear from them in a couple of weeks and they ask that you attend a phone interview. My interview consisted of three people on the telephone, each asking questions. As telephone interviews go, it was relatively painless.

Post interview, I heard nothing for about a week, until I was contacted by HR again and asked to attend an in-person interview. When I arrived, I waited downstairs for almost 30 minutes past my originally scheduled time. I was finally shown into a small conference room and asked to sit on one side of the table. Opposite me, were three people. Directly opposite me was an HR manager, flanked by the hiring manager on one side, and the hiring manager's manager on the other. Each person had a laptop in front of him/her. They asked if I minded if they had their laptops out so they could take notes and of course I said that I didn't mind.

Throughout the interview, they typed on their laptops. Twice during the interview, the HR manager directly in front of me giggled. I'm fairly confident that in addition to whatever notes they were taking, they were also texting about me back and forth.

Though I was shown in late for my interview, apparently they weren't willing to show me the same courtesy by allowing me my full time. When the our allotted time was up, I was quickly shuffled out of the room by the HR manager before I could even shake hands with the hiring manager.

I realize that clearly, I wasn't what they were looking for. That said, there is a certain level of respect due a person who has gone through what I had gone through to get to that point, and I found nothing respectable about the in-person interview process. The funny thing is, the position was in the "change-management" group, which you would think would mean they would be the ones setting the tone of the corporate culture.

Anyway, about two days later, I received an automated response saying that I had not been selected for the position. I immediately reached out to the HR person I'd spoken with and said "Thank You" and asked for any feedback they could provide. I received the following email in response. I have changed nothing in the text:

"How are you ? Yes, the hiring manager has decided to move forward with another candidate. I have not been given any feedback on the interview and most likely will not. The managers are not obligated to provide feedback to all candidates. They interview so many candidates and do not always have to band with to do so."

As you can see, her tone was disrespectful and her grammar atrocious. Of course they aren't "obligated" but clearly she wasn't going to ask either.

If you're with NCR and you're reading this, please take a look at your internal hiring process. You received substantial tax breaks in order to move your corporate HQ here to GA. Please show the taxpayers of the state a bit more courtesy in return.

Technical Author/Communicator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NCR (Dundee, Scotland (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

Telephone interview seemed ok, but there was not a lot of clues as to how well you had performed. It was "all down to the hiring manager", which sounded a bit less optimistic. It was unclear exactly what skillset(s) and vocational competences were required. Candidate was already a published author and had significant project experience in technical documentation.
     Job description contained a lot of things that first time or inexperienced applicants would not reasonably be expected to know about. Overall, very disappointing and not recommended.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very general - "have you led teams before" A lot of emphasis was placed on this and it seemed that the role did not have guidance and support   1 Answer