NEC Laboratories America, Inc. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NEC Laboratories America, Inc. Interview Questions

2.8

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NEC Laboratories America, Inc. in March 2016.

Interview

A person from the department I applied contacted to me and asked questions about my background and the things I did in the past related to the things I am going to work on. I briefly explained the things I mentioned in my CV and talked about how my past experiences that can be helpful on the thing I am going to do research on. After that, that person (who is going to be my mentor) told me about the work environment they have at NEC Labs. Interview took about thirty minutes.

Interview Questions

• They didn't ask me any questions about my research as they are from another research background who happened to have a new project not directly related to their own research.   Answer Question

Summer Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NEC Laboratories America, Inc. in March 2015.

Interview

The researcher discussed with me about my recent publications and project. They also introduced their research projects. It seems they are quite interested in PhD students with research background matches their projects. And they are also willing to build long-term collaborations with interns. The group in NEC Labs are paper oriented, the projects are all targeting on submitting to top-tier conferences and journals.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NEC Laboratories America, Inc. (Edison, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview from a researcher. We discussed about my previous research experience, my papers, and how I implemented the models in my papers. We also discussed about the project for the coming summer.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I got two interviews and I was accepted for the second one. The hiring process took two month and they give me a very short notice. I had only three months to be prepared for the job.

Interview Questions

• The questions are straightforward. The interviewer went over the job description and my resume and asked me related questions. Just be prepared for the items in the job description.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I have n't done any negotiation. I think their offer for internship is not negotiable.

Summer Research Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at NEC Laboratories America, Inc..

Interview

The researcher directly contacted me and make an appointment for a potential interview. The interview lasts about half an hour. I introduced my research for about half of the time. The interviewee then talked about potential future projects, and asked questions and future plans for the projects.

About a week after the interview, HR contacted me to discuss the details of my schedule, and issued an offer afterwards.

Interview Questions

• All questions are directly related to each individual's research background.   Answer Question

Interview

Usually, the ads is posted on CRA and has the same hiring cycle as major university tenure track positions. The ads will be posted around Oct to Dec. The interviews usually from Feb to Apr. Sometimes, they interview many people for one positions, but sometimes, 2-3 onsite interviews for one head count. The onsite interview has an one hour and half presentation. A little bit longer than universities (usually one hour)

Researcher Interview

Interview

It's standard interview process for researchers in industrial research labs and academia. The interview lasts a full day: you come in to meet HR personnel first, and the higher management. Then you give a 1.5-hour presentation of your past research. After that you have lunch with members on the team and in the lab. You'll meet with team members one-by-one. They sometimes bring the candidate for dinner and call it a day.

Interview Questions

• During the job talk, be prepared to answer questions on any part on your slides. Don't just put something that looks good but you have little idea about.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NEC Laboratories America, Inc..

Interview

Applied through their online system after I got an email from one of our faculty in CS department. Single phone interview with several researchers on the team, they asked my research background and the experiences on my resume, Q&A at the end of the interview. All researchers were really nice and focused on what skills you have in order to work with them efficiently (such as python scripting).

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NEC Laboratories America, Inc. in March 2014.

Interview

All whom I know (including myself) got a phone call from a researcher with whom you have a potential fit. Questions are mostly related to your area of expertise with a small number of general topics remotely related to your area (for example, my area is time series data mining, and I was asked several basic question on general Data Mining / Machine Learning techniques). Be prepared clearly explain what you are doing in your PhD research or have done in past projects. The interviewer most likely knows quite a lot in your area, so it is going to be a nice, detailed discussion about topics of your interest.

Interview Questions

• My research experience; general classification and clustering algorithms.   Answer Question

Interview

Mostly about your own research. And whether you are familiar with some tools they expect.