NERA Economic Consulting Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

NERA Economic Consulting Interview Questions

Interviews at NERA Economic Consulting

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NERA Economic Consulting (White Plains, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Six 1:1 meetings with VP's and SVP's; most are enthusiastic in describing the work of NERA to me and how it differs from other economic consulting firms. No tough questions on my research or my economic knowledge at all. Eager in prompting me to ask questions about the firm. Lunch presentation of job market paper, in front of people eating catered food with real silverware at a long conference table. The whole day starts at 9:30am and ended before 4pm; no formal dinner. Definitely the shortest and easiest fly-out interview I had been to.

Interview Questions

• What do you look at when analyzing the market powers of two merging firms?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at NERA Economic Consulting (Washington, DC) in January 2008.

Interview

I got the opening through University's system, but that is for an intern position, while I am looking for full time position. So I contact people working in NERA, and it happen to have an opening in the DC office. First round is 30-min phone interview. pretty easy and nice, just background, experience, no behavnior questions. Second round, I met with 6 people in the team. 30 mins each. not very hard. I thought they would ask technical questions, but they did not. very happy experience. Got the offer in about 1 week

Interview Questions

• can you handle 60+ hour work week   1 Answer

Negotiation

no. fresh from school, so just accept.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NERA Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in November 2008.

Interview

There are 2 rounds of interviewing. The first round is a behavioral interview (I don't quite remember but I think there were some technical questions). After this, you wait around a week until you get a call back for final rounds.

There were around 5 interviews in the final round, around 3 case interviews and an interview based on looking at a client-facing sheet. Letters of recommendation are required.

Interview Questions

• Something about credit card companies and how they determine rates...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NERA Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

5 interviews back to back. People are nice and questions are not difficult. Mostly about my experience. one case interview about natural gas and one excel interview. I had a great time with them and they are really smart.

Interview Questions

• i didn't expected the excel and case interview but i did them ok. Pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NERA Economic Consulting (White Plains, NY).

Interview

As I understand it, there's typically a phone interview, but I didn't have to have one and went straight to the in person interviews.

The interviews laster half of a day, starting with lunch with other analysts, then circulating around the office for half hour interviews with staff. There was no case study. By and large people were overwhelmingly warm and friendly. They seemed mostly interested in making sure our personalities were compatible than evaluating my abilities. That said, there were still standard questions about education and work experience. On the whole it was a very positive experience and I was impressed by the office.

I would have happily taken it if I hadn't received a slightly better offer from one of their competitors.

Associate Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NERA Economic Consulting in February 2012.

Interview

1st interview was in person interview. No case study question. Talked to 4-5 analysts and senior staff for ~30 minutes each. Questions about interest, past experience, specific questions on past projects. Experience with data and research

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NERA Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Saw the post about Finance and Securities Practice at NERA in New York office through program emails. Receive emails about a final round interview at NERA New York office which consists of 5 one-to-one interviews. Tow casual and behavioral interviews about the big picture and the daily responsibility of the position. Prepare to answer questions about your past experiences to tiny little details. One case interview on Economics which tests you on simple Economics concept and its application in a real world case. One Excel spreadsheet interview where it asks you to find mistakes in the spreadsheet, both typo and numerical errors. One interview which was supposed to be another case interview, but it turns out to be another behavioral interview discussing about my background and some statistical concept questions based on my experiences.

Hear from the HR a little bit over one week after the interview. And it took about 3-4 weeks for them to send the official offer.

The overall process was very efficient and everyone is nice and helpful. They really want to know whether you are a good fit for the company and whether you know about the industry of Economic Consulting well enough. It would definitely help if you have certain experiences with Economic Consulting or related case studies.

Interview Questions

• Most questions based on your background.   1 Answer
    • Find errors in an Excel spreadsheet.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at NERA Economic Consulting (New York, NY).

Interview

The interviewers were very interested in the candidate's statistical skills. They also asked about the motivation for working in economic consulting. The final round was five back-to-back interviews at their New York office. One of them was resume based, and others tested on how fast the candidate could respond to real-world economic problems.

Interview Questions

• Describe one of your research experiences using Excel or Stata.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at NERA Economic Consulting.

Interview

I applied from my economics department career website. The whole process takes about a month and a half. A week after I applied online, I received an invitation for a phone interview. (Note that because fit is very important to NERA, each office hires separately. In other places such as Cornerstone. They would interview you and let you choose which office you want to work)

The phone interview was about 30 minutes. The interviewer asked me to introduce myself and then asked about my research paper. Make sure you have a compelling story about yourself that leads to why you are interested in the job. Also, make sure you know your research inside out. That means: motivation, clearly defined research question, methodology, problems and solutions, results.

A week after the phone interview, I was invited for an on-site interview. I got to their office at 9 and there were 2 other candidates there. The interview last from 9:30 to noon. 5 different interviewers. They all asked about either research or behavioral questions such as tell me about a time when you work on a team project and it failed. Make sure you use the STAR method. There was no case question for me but I heard other candidates have those.

Then we all went to lunch from noon-1 with 2 other employees. They were nice and encouraged questions. I think they answered truthfully or to the best of their knowledge.

I got a phone call with an offer 2 days later with a 2 weeks deadline to answer.

Overall, I think the most tricky part is actually to make your resume good enough to get noticed. For me it was because I used a cool dataset for my research. Also, check glassdoor because it helped me a lot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NERA Economic Consulting (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

Brief application asking to submit cover letter/resume, followed by an interview that is mostly behavioral. They then go in depth in asking you to explain past research you have done.