NIC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 23, 2017

2.8

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NIC (Kansas City, MO) in January 2014.

Interview

I had a one and a half hour phone call with two employees where they asked just about every question that some one with an RHCA could answer. This phone call was followed by a full day panel interview. Employees in the interview were constantly coming and going. The first 3 hours were normal questions about my work history and about me.

Then they brought out a laptop with a Linux VM on it. The VM was broken and I was expected to fix it. Then I was asked to open vi and start doing some editing to prove that I knew vi. At one point they asked me how to use the second buffer, I told them that I didn't know how to do it. At this point their Sr Tech proclaimed "I don't even use that."

MySQL was next and I was given a deployment DB to work with. They asked many questions about selecting data and joining tables. It was now about lunch time and every one got a sandwich. I only got to finish half of the sandwich as they kept asking me questions. At one point two of the employees started arguing over one of my answers, which I had already demonstrated to be correct on the MySQL DB they had me working on. After finishing their requests with the VM, I was then interviewed for three hours by three product managers about ITIL.

After this interview I thought I was going to be working with rock-stars, why else would they interview like they only hired rock-stars? This was not the case.

Interview Questions

• 1. They asked me practically every question about Linux that a seasoned Sr SysAdmin could be expected to answer or at least be expected to be able to find the answer quickly.

2. Why wouldn't you use an expect script?
      1 Answer

NIC Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

I’m sorry to hear about your interview experience. We work hard to create a professional interview experience for all and are always making changes to enhance our process.

Desktop Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NIC (Olathe, KS) in September 2013.

Interview

It was a relatively intense process for someone new to the corporate game.
    I was interviewed by no less than four people, although only two of them seemed prepared or interested.
    I don't think the interview questions were necessarily that great, but by the end of the meeting the mood was light and we were laughing.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever deployed images with Windows Deployment Server?   1 Answer

Lead Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NIC.

Interview

You will be grilled. A lot technical questions. You got to meet every body in the company from the secretary to general manager. you meet the technical team, marketing and management team. Then bosses

Interview Questions

• Technical and social questions   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NIC.

Interview

The company has a formal interview process but the length and details depends on the state and on the position being applied. I interviewed with multiple people from different states and had an onsite interview as well.

Interview Questions

• Questions on programming experience were very difficult and lengthy   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NIC (New Delhi (India)) in July 2008.

Interview

Through written test and interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Fixed salaries for each post

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at NIC.

Interview

I got the interview through an IT Consulting Company.

I interviewed for one position and the person I interviewed with didn't think I was a good fit so they recommended another position in the company and I interviewed with someone else.

Interview Questions

• Describe your interactions with your project team and how you keep them on track.   Answer Question

NIC Response

Apr 3, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We are glad to hear that your interview process moved quickly. We apologize if the first interview was not a perfect match to your skills; or if the firm you were working with did not have a full ... More

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NIC (Topeka, KS).

Interview

There were three on-site interviews with different groups or people. One was with the team, one with my supervisor, and one with upper management. They were very friendly in each situation. The process was intentionally slow to allow maximum vetting and consideration. It has the potential to dissuade some, but it also seems to reduce picking up someone that might be a bad fit.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how strong my proficiencies were with certain tools (applications) that they used in the office.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NIC in November 2015.

Interview

It was 30 Minute long phone screen interview with 3 interviewers. It was pretty straight forward and manageable. I expect the in-person email to be a little more difficult.

Corporate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NIC (Olathe, KS) in January 2014.

Interview

Seemed pretty much like a typical interview. Situational and behavioral type questions. Pretty informal approach and went well. The staff and people I interviewed with were professional and provided enough information for me to get a glimpse of what NIC was like.

Negotiation

Basic - not a lot of room to negotiate.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at NIC (Diamond Bar, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone interview first, then in person.
    Interview with operations manager, the interview was not too tough.
    The Phone interview was 30 minutes long and in-person interview was 1 hour long.
    The skill questions are consistent with most other Project Manager Interview question.
    What was your hard challenges with managing projects?
    How to resolve resource issues?

Interview Questions

• What is your hardest issue to resolve within the Infrastructure project?   1 Answer