NIH Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 21, 2017

2.6

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NIH (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2016.

Interview

Easy 30 min phone/Skype interview to get a feel for personalities and if you would be a good fit for the lab. Just talk about your background, interests, and future career goals

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NIH (Rockville, MD) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was held at their office with Rockville. I was entered by two individuals who were the branch head for their perspective divisions. We sat in an office in a formal setting and I was asked rough 10 -12 questions. This questions themselves were not the standard interview questions but more informal about my experience, my skills, and what to expect. It was rather easy from my experience

Interview Questions

• Tell us about what you know about NIH
      Explain your experience with Contract administration   Answer Question

IRTA Postbac Interview

Interview

Applied online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and getting 3 rec letters and got contacted by a postdoc. Got asked to do a phone interview and then an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do research?
      What are your past experiences?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at NIH.

Interview

I applied for a post doctoral fellowship position in one of the major research branches at the National Institutes of Health. This involved meeting various principal investigators and faculty members. I was also asked to present on my graduate research.

Pathways Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online in December 2015 and was contacted in March 2016. I had a panel interview with 5 Managers/HR Specialist. There was a mixture of behavioral and situational questions. 1 week after the interview, I was made an offer.

Interview Questions

• How are you with managing multiple tasks? Tell me a time when you had to work with a difficult manager or staff member, how did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary based on GS scale

Media Relations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NIH in February 2016.

Interview

I received an email two weeks after submitting resume through online portal. Hiring manager set up phone interview through email. The phone interview happened withing a week and was casual and relatively straightforward. They made sure I completely understood process and job for which I was applying. Interviewer was polite and personable. Follow up from interview was received within a week.

Interview Questions

• When there has been a problem at a previous job, how did I handle it>?   Answer Question

Biologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview went fine. Questions regarding your previous research experience and a brief introduction about the lab was given. Discussed about few techniques and how good you are. Checked the lab environment.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

It started with a few emails where credentials were exchanged followed by a phone interview. During the phone interview, detailed explanations regarding experience in molecular biology techniques were asked as well as animal handling questions. Afterwards, an in person interview was scheduled. It entailed a lab tour as well as the project that the PI had in mind for me. Be sure to talk with other lab scientists to get a good handle on how things operate in the lab, including how interactions within the lab go about. Regardless of the lab, the science may be impactful but the environment must also be a place where you will be comfortable to carry out your research and mature, both intellectually as well as personally/professionally. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• The PI asked for a presentation, which was on the subject of my previous research. There were follow up questions based on the material discussed.   Answer Question

IRTA Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in January 2016.

Interview

Presentation and interviewed with lab members. People are very nice here. My supervisor bought lunch for me and we ate together. We talked about 1 hour, very relaxed. The presentation was good and they asked lots of questions. I wore suits that day. I think it is very important to wear formal clothes although is was only a postdoc job.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at NIH.

Interview

Phone screen with staffing personnel, followed by another phone screen with someone in HR. After a few days without any additional contact, HR contacted with an invitation to go in for an interview. Interviewed with a group of 8-9 supervisors. Did not hear anything for over 30 days, and then finally was contacted with an offer. Onboarding was fine.