NIH Interview Questions in Maryland | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 26, 2017

2.5

Hsa Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Global application. Many interviews via phone, email and in person. Slow process, with many steps, so prepare well. Write detail resume and cover letter. Took several weeks to move on. Hiring process is long.

Interview Questions

• Why are you changing jobs. What do you think this job is about.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little room for negotiation in the federal government. At least for me. But got more vacation time that most.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in October 2010.

Interview

The hiring and Interview Process is Completely depend upon the area of specialization of the candidate and the prospective principal investigator at NIH. The interview generally happens with resume review, then a telephone (sometimes Skype) interview, next is on campus interview. International candidates may not have onsite interview. Generally straight forward; Hardly any behavioral questions. The candidates are asked to give a presentation and meet other section chiefs. Process may go unto 3-4 months

Interview Questions

• Generally straight forward; Hardly any behavioral questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NIH (Rockville, MD).

Interview

Submitted application for IRTA fellowship online through the NIH website. Contacted people I was interested in working with at specific labs, then followed up with those who were interested in my application and came for one in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember any particularly difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation involved.

Facilities Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in May 2013.

Interview

The hire process is the typical goverment hiring process. The Interview was a panel of three personnel with situational questions. The personnel on the hiring panel did not have the same level of education as I do and were not aware of some of the information that I was giving them upon answering thier questions.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was, Why I felt I was the best person for the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Support Role to Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in October 2011.

Interview

Interviewer was dressed casual and management was surprised I was applying to such a menial post (due to prevailing economic conditions 6 years ago-recession). Not like all the other traditional interviews I have been on. More like going through the motions....

Interview Questions

• If I had computer knowledge and skills. I have worked with computers my entire professional career.   Answer Question

Post Baccaleurate IRTA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in August 2014.

Interview

Went to the laboratory to check it out, interviewed with current employees, as well as the principal investigator. Discussed options and future plans, and discussed how I would fit into the lab.

Post Baccaleurate IRTA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in August 2015.

Interview

If you have skills they need in the lab, they will come and look for you. The process was pretty lay back for me. since they needed my skills are their lab. So they asked some general questions "what makes you chose (your degree)", how many hours have you done(_), then they go on and introduce the campus and the opportunities around NIH. Since I already knew that they need me ahead, so the process was just a run through.

Summer Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in April 2014.

Interview

Had a personal contact with a Senior Researcher. Contacted them and told them about my interest in CS and research. Came in once for a Personality Quiz type interview where I discussed my past projects and programming knowledge. No technical questions. After a week or so I heard back. Overall a great experience and would recommend it to any students looking for a place to share their enthusiasm for health, research, and technology.

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

Sent an email to the PI. He met me the following week. We met at the NIH. I think it was helpful that I was already there. Otherwise, they usually conduct either a Skype or a phone interview. Some PIs will fly you in and interview in person.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be in this lab? What are your future plans?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at NIH (Frederick, MD).

Interview

it involved meeting with people in the lab,giving a lab presentation. Meeting was very informal. Listening to the ongoing projects in the lab. I was offered shortly after returning and then had to go through background check. Advise: make sure you know what your major project is