NIH Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.6

74 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at NIH (Frederick, MD).

Interview

it involved meeting with people in the lab,giving a lab presentation. Meeting was very informal. Listening to the ongoing projects in the lab. I was offered shortly after returning and then had to go through background check. Advise: make sure you know what your major project is

Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Rockville, MD) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied in August of 2016 was interviewed 11/2016. The interview was over the phone and went well It was a panel interview with a branch chief and manager.

Interview Questions

• They asked how my Excel skills were?   1 Answer

Outreach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

Interviewed by two people
    - Went over the job description and potential intern duties
    - Asked questions on my resume (past jobs, any study abroad experience)
    - Asked about GPA
    - Asked me standard interview questions

Interview Questions

• Q: What are your strengths?
      Q: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Postbaccalaureate IRTA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

The hardest part was applying individually to a number of investigators. The number of rejections is overwhelming but usually related to lack of an open position or funding at the time. Once I got positive responses the interview was more about me making sure the investigator would make a good mentor during my time at NIH.

Interview Questions

• What are your specific goals and research interests?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The stipend is a set amount I'm pretty sure.

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

Sent an email to the PI. He met me the following week. We met at the NIH. I think it was helpful that I was already there. Otherwise, they usually conduct either a Skype or a phone interview. Some PIs will fly you in and interview in person.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be in this lab? What are your future plans?   Answer Question

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

Started with a phone interview that stated all the requirements and salary expectations. Was invited for a panel interview and met with a a panel of 4 people. Interview was on behavioral skills, managing challenges at work and achieving results. They'll tell you about the position and what to expect, and ask you questions about your experience and how you overcame problems.

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NIH (Rockville, MD) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was held at their office with Rockville. I was entered by two individuals who were the branch head for their perspective divisions. We sat in an office in a formal setting and I was asked rough 10 -12 questions. This questions themselves were not the standard interview questions but more informal about my experience, my skills, and what to expect. It was rather easy from my experience

Interview Questions

• Tell us about what you know about NIH
      Explain your experience with Contract administration   Answer Question

Pathways Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online in December 2015 and was contacted in March 2016. I had a panel interview with 5 Managers/HR Specialist. There was a mixture of behavioral and situational questions. 1 week after the interview, I was made an offer.

Interview Questions

• How are you with managing multiple tasks? Tell me a time when you had to work with a difficult manager or staff member, how did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary based on GS scale

Biologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview went fine. Questions regarding your previous research experience and a brief introduction about the lab was given. Discussed about few techniques and how good you are. Checked the lab environment.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

It started with a few emails where credentials were exchanged followed by a phone interview. During the phone interview, detailed explanations regarding experience in molecular biology techniques were asked as well as animal handling questions. Afterwards, an in person interview was scheduled. It entailed a lab tour as well as the project that the PI had in mind for me. Be sure to talk with other lab scientists to get a good handle on how things operate in the lab, including how interactions within the lab go about. Regardless of the lab, the science may be impactful but the environment must also be a place where you will be comfortable to carry out your research and mature, both intellectually as well as personally/professionally. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• The PI asked for a presentation, which was on the subject of my previous research. There were follow up questions based on the material discussed.   Answer Question