NORC at the University of Chicago Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NORC at the University of Chicago Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2017

2.3

Field Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NORC at the University of Chicago.

Interview

Applied online and received a call from a recruiter. Some verbatim reading and then some questions. Then I was told to meet up with local recruiter for in person interview. I found out at in person interview I had the job. Then I received call with wage offer.

Interview Questions

• Can you attend a training out of state?   1 Answer

Field Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NORC at the University of Chicago (Chattanooga, TN).

Interview

Apply online by watching when projects are posted in areas you can work in daily.Submit application ad information about any related skill sets you have that would make you good with people for to door, knowing territory, have GPS, most of us do now. Give 3 references, business, 3 personal.

Interview Questions

• Ask you to read one of the interview questions about job that you will be doing to see how comfortable you are with asking for personal data   1 Answer

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at NORC at the University of Chicago (Albuquerque, NM) in September 2016.

Interview

Unprofessional. Interview with several managers, none of whom seem to know anything about what is going on. Does not seem to value experience and ability as much as having someone who will follow the book even when the book it's counterproductive. Managers seemed put out by having to conduct interviews and would frequently leave room to get coffee, make phone calls, etc. Managers implied that questions posed to them about position was a sign of ignorance in interviewee. Managers maintained an air of insincere politeness.

Interview Questions

• Why want to work there/advance?   1 Answer

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NORC at the University of Chicago (Albuquerque, NM) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied for the Team Lead position, and was pulled into an office by someone to say that I didn't get the job, that supervisory experience and floor production trump education and most people have to apply more than twice to make it to get an interview for this position. So next week, I get a call from Chicago asking me if I would like to come in for an interview, which by the time I got to it, they were double-booked and actually said I had the interview the day prior. They "squeezed" me in.

So, the questions for me were:
    "What issues do you have with leadership and what role should they have?"
    "Would you be able to work 4-10pm shifts?"

The answer to the first question, which I don't know whether it was right, was that leaders lead by example, that they don't pick favorites, and that they are fair and uphold the image of the company. The interviewer asked me if I had any issues with what was currently going on and I informed him of how I was written up for things I never received verbal warnings, or notice of verbal warnings for. I was honest about that, and maybe that was naive of me to assume that it was okay for me to be honest.

I was also honest with them about my scheduling. I go to night classes and have made my schedule with them with these classes in mind. They wanted a warm body to fill a spot, and were not willing to make any exceptions for someone for whom they knew had classes. I was unwilling to compromise this semester, and said that I would be able to attend training if needed, but that my education was of foremost importance to me and that if I had been chosen for the position, the subsequent semester would be arranged with these classes in mind. I don't blame them, if they need someone to have the availability they require (4-10pm five days a week), that's fine but they were also hiring for 10 team leads. I don't know exactly how they schedule their leads and it's not flexible like a telephone interviewer. It's not specified in the job description online. It's just that a person needs to have availability for at least 29 hours per week, which I had and currently have.

It did not seem to sit well with them, but again, they should have known my schedule and that I wasn't going to drop dead happy knowing I could make $14 an hour but ruining my financial aid contract for the semester, making going back to school for me utterly impossible.

In the end, I got an email saying I didn't get the job today. I'm not holding my breath, simply because they never seem to have thought enough of me to not double-book my interview that I had to walk across town to, and that maybe they shouldn't pull someone aside and tell them that they didn't get the interview then call back to say they did. It was very off-putting and unprofessional to me.

I still don't quite know what they are looking for in terms of workers, but one coworker who got an interview told me that they were a shoe-in for the job because of how well-known they were. So maybe I need to, if I choose to apply again, solicit business by selling tickets to drag shows *cough*. Not like I have a problem with drag shows, but solicitation is explicitly disallowed in employee policy.

This job, at least in Albuquerque, has a high turnover rate. I wouldn't hold my breath. Allegedly, people who were working 16 hours a week and were working for two months got this position. I have been here six months.

Interview Questions

• "What issues do you have with leadership and what role should they have?"
      "Would you be able to work 4-10pm shifts?"
      1 Answer

Survey Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NORC at the University of Chicago.

Interview

I applied in November and received a call from HR the next February. So, they do keep your resume on file!

A week after the initial call with the HR representative, I went to the Loop office for an in-person interview with five of the members of the survey team. Two were all one-on-one, two had two people in the room. One of the two-person session had behavioral questions (where they ask for specific experiences).

A week later, I had a telephone call with the Vice President and the HR rep asked for a list of references that she called.

She let me know two weeks after that.

They do give you some background on the surveys you would work on, so research those extensively. I think the most important things to prepare are understanding how you would function on the operations side of the survey - how do you best communicate with teams who all have different goals? How efficient are you in communicating when there's a time crunch? How do you keep track of your tasks when there are many priorities at once?

Field Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at NORC at the University of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

The regional manager who interviewed me was very informative, professional and kind. the questions were appropriated and the manager gave me as much time as I needed to answer each question. I was contacted the next day with a job offer. In my opinion the interview went very well.

Interview Questions

• If I had a project due and did not have the time to complete it, how would I handle that situation?   Answer Question

Telephone Interviewer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NORC at the University of Chicago (Albuquerque, NM) in June 2016.

Interview

Average interview. Friendly interviewer. Normal questions. Nothing super hard. Had an information session that seemed a little redundant. Process was not very quick. Had to wait over a week before I was interviewed. Was most interested in reading a script to determine voice quality and diction. Overall a good interview experience.

Interview Questions

• What type of call center experience do you have?   1 Answer

Telephone Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at NORC at the University of Chicago (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Very professional call to set up an interview 2 weeks later which turned out to be a group interview process. I had never been to an interview in Chicago especially downtown and a group interview, so I was worried but it turned out fantastic. It was about 20-25 people in the room and we were walked through a power point about the company and the position and training requirements then we signed a confidentiality agreement about any info we saw on screens and proceeded to the 1 on 1 interview portion that is less than 10 minutes. All the interviewees were supper friendly and we were all talking and getting along while we waited and the man that interviewed me and the workers were all laid back and very friendly. Very excited to start work!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None. 10.50/hr

Telephone Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NORC at the University of Chicago (Albuquerque, NM) in May 2016.

Interview

Took no more than 10 minutes. I was offered a a job on the spot. They gave me a list of times and days in which I was to come in for training (5 days total) and told me I could pick my schedule. This was after I had completed the application online.

Interview Questions

• Do you have customer service experience?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NORC at the University of Chicago.

Interview

The initial interview was with a human resources manager. It was pretty short, about 15 minutes, and pretty standard. They do multiple rounds of interviews before you are offered a position-- two over the phone and one in-person. The second interview is a little longer and more in-depth, but it went over the same kind of standard interview questions. Just prepare by going over your standard questions and looking through the NORC website so that you are ready to ask some questions about them.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in NORC? How did you find out about the position? What could you add to our team?   Answer Question