NPR Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 15, 2017

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process included a series of telephone and in-person interviews with various department members. They did well on the phone to establish initial qualifications and the in-person interviews are more about culture-fit. I did plenty of homework prior to both rounds of interviews and seemed to perform adequately.

Associate Podcast Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

I met with the hiring manager before applying to learn more about the role and show my interest. Basically, the decision was already made on who they were going to hire, but they still allowed other candidates to apply. Despite that, I was offered an interview with the recruiter on the hiring manager's behalf. It was my impression that the recruiter was happy with my answers, but since there were stronger internal candidates, I was at a loss.

Interview Questions

• What are some suggestions for the podcast?   Answer Question
    • If you could have any role, what would it be and what would it look like?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, 5 weeksish later they told me I was a finalist and we arranged a time to video-chat; went smoothly and low-pressure; they did check references. Heard back a few days later. Overall, no huge pressure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Supplied cover letter; interviewed over phone. Had a hard time with connection on two different phones - recommend doing in person interview if at all possible. People were very nice but definitely recommend doing as much research as possible and taking notes because if you blank on a name of someone they recently interviewed, your chances are out the window

Interview Questions

• What was a story in this election year that you enjoyed NPR's coverage of?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, was emailed about a week after the deadline with a writing assignment to complete within a few days. A few days after I submitted that, I got an email to set up a Skype interview. The interview was a little less than an hour long, with no unexpected questions or surprises.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job, when have you been challenged, when have you succeeded, etc.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC).

Interview

This was a pretty bad experience overall, and ended up being a complete waste of time. I don't think I've ever had an interviewer look at his phone and roll his head back out of boredom during an interview process before. I learned a lot about NPR, but it's clear there are some serious challenges ahead. I ended up ending the interview process before a decision was made after I was left a voicemail notifying me that I was still being considered, but they would need to increase their pool of candidates before making a decision. The proposed compensation was pretty average for the DC area. Keep in mind that NPR is a non-profit, so you need to be willing to support their mission first before anything else.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online. The process was as follows: I waited for about a month, heard nothing. Then I got an email requesting I choose one of three interview times the following day. I interviewed the next day, found out the following. The interview itself was a phone interview with editors of the department. It was a speakerphone interview, they both asked questions.

Interview Questions

• Why NPR? What makes you unique to the position? How are you not a repeat candidate? What is your past experience with public media? How does NPR play into your career goals? What are some stories you would pitch?   Answer Question

Code Switch Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC).

Interview

Pretty chill. Not sure how the interview process goes for this program, but only got one interview, and was not chosen. She just asked basic questions. But it took about 2 weeks to get the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why (this specific program)? and what kind of reporting would you like to do?   Answer Question

Corporate Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume, cover letter and a short "why I want to work for NPR" essay. About a week later I received an email asking me to pick a phone interview time slot. The interview lasted 33 minutes. It was thorough but relaxed. After the interview I was sent a writing assignment to complete over the weekend. The assignment asked me to answer hypothetical user emails and develop promotional copy for a new podcasting tool. I heard back about their decision within 5 days.

Interview Questions

• What has been your biggest failure in relation to your career? What did you learn from that experience?   Answer Question

Kroc Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC).

Interview

Most awkward intvu process. Cocktails and dinner with the 10 finalists. The next day, an interview with a panel of 6 or so people. Super lovely dinner, great smart candidates, awkward to be enjoying a nice dinner with people you're competing against. Next day interview is like you've never had a conversation before, kinda cold, super serious, lots of furrowed brows and intent listening. Overall, really enjoyed the process, to be quite honest. Even if it was the MOST awkward interview I've ever had. I think it lets them get really quality candidates without relying on traditional crutches.

Interview Questions

• Biggest whopper: What makes you additive rather than repetitive to NPR. Good question. Doozy.   1 Answer