NPR Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 25, 2017

2.9

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, was emailed about a week after the deadline with a writing assignment to complete within a few days. A few days after I submitted that, I got an email to set up a Skype interview. The interview was a little less than an hour long, with no unexpected questions or surprises.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job, when have you been challenged, when have you succeeded, etc.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC).

Interview

This was a pretty bad experience overall, and ended up being a complete waste of time. I don't think I've ever had an interviewer look at his phone and roll his head back out of boredom during an interview process before. I learned a lot about NPR, but it's clear there are some serious challenges ahead. I ended up ending the interview process before a decision was made after I was left a voicemail notifying me that I was still being considered, but they would need to increase their pool of candidates before making a decision. The proposed compensation was pretty average for the DC area. Keep in mind that NPR is a non-profit, so you need to be willing to support their mission first before anything else.

Interview Questions

• What led you to your decision to want to apply to NPR?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online. The process was as follows: I waited for about a month, heard nothing. Then I got an email requesting I choose one of three interview times the following day. I interviewed the next day, found out the following. The interview itself was a phone interview with editors of the department. It was a speakerphone interview, they both asked questions.

Interview Questions

• Why NPR? What makes you unique to the position? How are you not a repeat candidate? What is your past experience with public media? How does NPR play into your career goals? What are some stories you would pitch?   Answer Question

Code Switch Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC).

Interview

Pretty chill. Not sure how the interview process goes for this program, but only got one interview, and was not chosen. She just asked basic questions. But it took about 2 weeks to get the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why (this specific program)? and what kind of reporting would you like to do?   Answer Question

Corporate Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume, cover letter and a short "why I want to work for NPR" essay. About a week later I received an email asking me to pick a phone interview time slot. The interview lasted 33 minutes. It was thorough but relaxed. After the interview I was sent a writing assignment to complete over the weekend. The assignment asked me to answer hypothetical user emails and develop promotional copy for a new podcasting tool. I heard back about their decision within 5 days.

Interview Questions

• What has been your biggest failure in relation to your career? What did you learn from that experience?   Answer Question

Kroc Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC).

Interview

Most awkward intvu process. Cocktails and dinner with the 10 finalists. The next day, an interview with a panel of 6 or so people. Super lovely dinner, great smart candidates, awkward to be enjoying a nice dinner with people you're competing against. Next day interview is like you've never had a conversation before, kinda cold, super serious, lots of furrowed brows and intent listening. Overall, really enjoyed the process, to be quite honest. Even if it was the MOST awkward interview I've ever had. I think it lets them get really quality candidates without relying on traditional crutches.

Interview Questions

• Biggest whopper: What makes you additive rather than repetitive to NPR. Good question. Doozy.   1 Answer

Grants Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was invited to interview over the phone. Had a 30 minute phone interview that was very positive and conversational. At the end, was told they would be in touch about setting up the next interview. Followed up a week later. In three weeks, hear they had a large number of qualified candidates and I would not be continuing on.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter. Then, I interviewed with department to get a better feel of my experience and overall fit for the position. It was a fun conversation - can't go wrong with any of the departments there. Great experience!

Senior Visual Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through NPR's careers portal, and received an email from the creative director requesting to talk via phone about a week after the fact. The phone interview was actually really nice—it felt more like a conversation, rather than an interrogation or quiz. The call ended with an offer to proceed to the next step in the process (a full day at NPR) and some advice regarding portfolio presentation, which I very much appreciated. An HR representative followed up with me via email within a few days with a full rundown of what I could expect during my day at NPR and a handful of dates to choose from (about a month out). HR set and managed expectations up until the morning of the full-day interview. The day at NPR was absolutely wonderful: it started off with a brief tour of the building, then moved to a portfolio presentation with the whole team, a short interview with a developer, and then a full 4 or 5 hours of collaborative and independent work on a real NPR Design problem statement. The day was peppered with introductions, critiques and even a Tiny Desk Concert(!), and ended with a presentation of what I'd come up with as a solution to the problem statement. The day really helped shine light on the design team's process and culture, as opposed to feeling like spec work. Overall, a really amazing, challenging experience with wonderful people!

Senior Systems Engineer - IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied via Linkedin. Received interview call after ~4 months. First phone interview was with HR, second phone interview was with hiring manager and third phone interview with Systems Engineering team.

Interview Questions

• "Hi I am ____, I called to check if you are fit for this position or not'!!
      'How to create SCCM package for software deployment' & 'What is IP and how it works?', where I was interviewing for Sr. Systems Engineer position and responsible for VMware, SAN etc.
      1 Answer