NRDC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NRDC Interview Questions

Interviews at NRDC

2.8

Communications Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NRDC in March 2019.

Interview

Was selected for a phone interview, and given several times (all within the week of receiving the email) to pick from. I confirmed availability for 3 possible times, and did not hear back. I sent a follow-up email the day before the times I had selected---still no response.

The unprofessionalism is astounding for such a large organization. I had three other phone interviews in that same week, all at smaller orgs, and their HR teams were welcoming, professional, and respected my time and effort. Embarrassing .

Communications Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NRDC (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied first online with a resume and cover letter. Then, I received a call to schedule a phone interview. I completed that, which was followed up by an in-person interview with the communications team.

Interview Questions

• What communication strategy would you employ for next year's water/land/energy issues?   Answer Question

Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at NRDC (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Initial phone screening plus two in-person interviews (one with HR, one with the team). Interviewers were friendly but after three rounds (I applied in May and everything was dragged out until August) I was basically ghosted. I followed up with everyone I had spoken with and was never even given a "no, thank you."

Interview Questions

• Questions were routine, nothing out of the ordinary. "Why do you want to work for us?" "What are your greatest strengths/weaknesses?"   Answer Question

Development Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NRDC.

Interview

Asked basic interview questions, HR was really friendly and down to earth. Asked me for availability and told me I would be contacted the following week but never replied to a follow-up or full on reject me. Slightly unprofessional. Process = phone interview with HR in NY, then someone else in another office before an in person interview

Interview Questions

• logistical questions more-so; salary was asked off the bat   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The first round is a phone screening with HR, then a panel interview with the team you'll be supporting, and the final round is with the direct supervisor. The phone screening isn't hard, it's a few generic questions to gauge whether you can do the work. The panel interview was pretty informal, they just skimmed through my resume and asked me questions about things that jumped out at them. They didn't seem very prepared. The final interview was also pretty informal, and I don't know if it's because that's just the supervisor's personality, or because he didn't take me seriously as a candidate. He asked more questions about my ability to do the job, and gauged whether I would be a good fit with the team. He was very candid and said that program assistants usually stay in the position for 2-3 years and then move on because it is rare and difficult to move up within the org. I was told they would make a hiring decision after two weeks, and then never heard anything. Overall I found the process unimpressive at best, if not unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What is your current salary, and what are your salary requirements? Why are you looking to leave your current job? What kind of work environment are you seeking? What are you looking for in your next role? Why are you interested in NRDC and this position, specifically? This job will require you to be continually productive on long-term assignments, but also able to respond to urgent requests in a moment’s notice. Do you have any experience in an environment that requires that type of attention span? What do you feel is key to working well with a team? Do you have any experience copy-editing? Please explain. What are your 3 greatest strengths and how would those strengths support this role? Do you have any experience managing budgets, invoices, and expenses for a department or project?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NRDC (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was given a brief phone screen, where the position was described and we went through my experiences on my resume. I was then called in for an in-person interview. It was a comfortable conversational interview, and I really appreciated the chance to meet other employees with the Program Assistant title, to learn more about the day-to-day. After the interview, my references were called, and I waited three weeks to hear back.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with multiple competing demands?   1 Answer

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at NRDC in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online but also had someone that worked for the company get me in the door. I first had someone contact me for a pre-screening. I was called later that afternoon to set up a Skype interview (I was out of state). I was very prepared for the interview. I met with 5 different people in the company and it lasted over two hours. They seemed really impressed by my resume and gave me a timeline for when they would contact me (they said they would let all candidates know either way if they got the job). That day came with no call, so I contacted the company. They told me they were behind and should have an answer by the end of the week. I called after the weekend with no response. I have not heard back. I was very unimpressed by how this was handled. To go through a lengthy interview process and no one has the courtesy or respect to call you. The job was not going to offer much - they made it clear you could not move up in the company and the pay was likely very little. But given how this process was handled, I wouldn't apply again to the company.

Interview Questions

• Some Questions
      1. Give an example of when you worked individually and what results you got.
      2. Give an example of when you worked as a team and what you learned
      3. Describe a struggle you experienced and how you death with it
      4. The hardest question, for me, was where you see yourself in 5 years. I had a good answer, but after a company tells you that there is no room to move up and most people work only 2-3 years as a program assistant and then move out of the company or go back to school, it's hard to find an answer in line with that type of attitude.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Only got a phone call and the interviewer asked the most basic questions. Said they would follow-up with me in the next couple of days but never received an answer. It was unprofessional of them to ignore my phone call and email regarding the position status, regardless of the outcome.

Interview Questions

• How did you find out about this position at the NRDC?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (San Francisco, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

Very competitive nonprofit. Absolutely incredible staff--my interviews were intense, but also inspiring and enjoyable! I loved everyone I met. I had two phone interviews, and one long in-person interview (with two different panels). Due to the competetive nature of the position, I had to wait 2+weeks for a decision (but it's worth it!).

Interview Questions

• What's a tendancy or trait you have that often holds you back? Can you elaborate?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Wonderful! NRDC has world-class HR. They offered above the salary I requested for this position.

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NRDC.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the HR rep in DC. It's was brief, basic and easy. He asked me simple questions and it was less than half an hour. It's was bit informal because this is just 1 out of 3 interviews. It took about a week to get a call back from the local office that I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the job?
      Why do you want to work for NRDC?
      How would you handle multiple deadlines?   Answer Question