NRDC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NRDC Interview Questions

Interviews at NRDC

2.8

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (San Francisco, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

Very competitive nonprofit. Absolutely incredible staff--my interviews were intense, but also inspiring and enjoyable! I loved everyone I met. I had two phone interviews, and one long in-person interview (with two different panels). Due to the competetive nature of the position, I had to wait 2+weeks for a decision (but it's worth it!).

Interview Questions

• What's a tendancy or trait you have that often holds you back? Can you elaborate?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Wonderful! NRDC has world-class HR. They offered above the salary I requested for this position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at NRDC (Boston, MA) in June 2018.

Interview

Interview process was very very long. A full 6 months from applying to Finishing up my last interview. Despite the longevity of the process, everyone I interviewed with was nice and engaging. The interviews themselves were very standard. No one really was trying to trip me up. Mostly the usual questions. It is frustrating waiting weeks and weeks to hear if you made it to the next round though.

Interview Questions

• How do you balance conflicting deadlines? Tell us about a time you didn’t have enough time to finish all of the tasks you had to finish.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NRDC.

Interview

Had a brief phone screening interview with HR, then an in-person interview with 2-3 other Program Assistants and 2-3 managers. Everyone was very friendly and courteous, questions were not difficult and mostly related to direct skills/tasks relevant to the job posting. Afterwards, I had a brief phone call with another manager who was not able to attend the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at NRDC (New York, NY) in September 2018.

Interview

I went through 3 different interviews. First was a screening call with an HR rep, who seemed quite uninterested, she asked standard interview questions from a prepared sheet in front of her.
    Second interview was with a policy adviser who I would be reporting, it was a great and relatively informal interview, I left feeling really great about it all. I was told I would hear back the following week, it took 3 weeks and a follow up email from me to get an answer, that I had passed the next round and could I come in the following week for a panel interview.
    Third interview, was about a month after my second interview , it was a panel interview (as stated above) I interviewed with an HR rep (not the one for the department I was applying for) a senior member from a different team, someone from the DC office in a senior role and another program assistant in my role from the DC office. Overall it was a great interview, standard and interesting questions were raised. it last about an hour.

Now for the ridiculously annoying and unprofessional bit (although the 3 weeks between interview 2-3 was also a bit much) I was told I would hear by the end of the week if not early the following week if I got the position or not considering I was one of 2-3 people in the final round. 10 days pass by and I send a follow up email inquiring as to the status of my application. I didn't get a response, another 2 weeks went by and I had received a job offer elsewhere, I emailed NRDC again and inquired yet again, and I received a response 2-3 days later stating I was still in the running and sorry for the delay but that they were still interviewing people for the position, and that they would be in touch with me soon. Since then I have taken the other job offer and have yet to hear from the NRDC, it has now been 6 weeks since my final interview. I'm appalled that such a well known and good-doing organisation is so poorly managed internally. It's a shame as well as this was my top choice for organisations to work at and still would love to work there, but considering I sent in my initial application in June and we are now nearing November... 6 months to hire someone is absolutely ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when things went wrong in your past positions and how did you cope with it?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NRDC.

Interview

Rather slow moving, but after submitting your application they do a simple phone screening followed by an in person interview. The in person interview includes a proofreading test. the overall process takes about 3 months

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NRDC (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Pretty straight forward interview process. Only got a phone interview but it lasted about 50 minutes. A coordinator from the San Francisco office called and asked many questions from a list that the team hiring gave her. The person was polite and very informative. She recommended that I follow up the next week to check on the status of my interview process. However, when I followed up the next week I never got a response back. Seemed a bit unprofessional, because she was the one who told me to follow up and promised she would respond.

When I asked about where the position could lead, she responded that it could lead to a variety of jobs. She said some people leave for other companies or go back to school. She said some people apply to become campaign organizers or work in other positions at NRDC. She also said some people stay programs assistants for many years and are happy just doing that. Overall, they are looking for more ways to integrate upward mobility into the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I went through two rounds of interviews, on was an HR screening and the other was an in person interview with 4 professionals I would work with if I got the job (two scientists and two lawyers). Everyone was extremely nice and friendly, but the HR employee called me 30 minutes before my scheduled call, and at times I felt like one of the in person interviewers asked very pointed questions. After the whole process I never heard back as to whether or not I got the position, despite sending two follow emails. It would have been nice for them to get back to me, even if they were not planning on offering me the posiiton

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Why specifically do you want to work for this program?
      How do you feel about doing administrative work and how do you work with multiple deadlines?   Answer Question

Program Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NRDC (San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

1) Phone interview with HR- nice HR person, basic background questions.
    2) On-site interview with HR- very similar to first interview
    3) On-site group interview- interviewers were unprepared and focused primarily on personality questions.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer attempted a few times to find out about family/relationship information.   Answer Question

I felt the interview process was hectic and slightly unprofessional.

Assistant Director of Facilities Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NRDC (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied on-line. Had a phone screen with the recruiter then a fact to face with the hiring manager. While NRDC appears to have a great mission, the position responsibilities appeared very uncertain and poorly organized - a mix of facilities management, purchasing, sustainability and finance. Very few candidates will possess such a wide variety of experience. Hiring Manager, while well educated and bright, was of little assistance in explaining what he was looking for in a candidate. Many of the question posed to me appeared illogical and/or irrelevant and appeared to be more for the sake of his showing off what appeared to be his inflated view of his knowledge rather than for valid job reasons. He finished by stating that it would likely take several months to complete the process! Very disorganized and unprofessional!

Environmental Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Everyone was quite nice and friendly. The cause is what originally attracted me to the organization as well as New York City. There were many candidates so I felt honored to be selected.