NRDC Program Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NRDC Program Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at NRDC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Only got a phone call and the interviewer asked the most basic questions. Said they would follow-up with me in the next couple of days but never received an answer. It was unprofessional of them to ignore my phone call and email regarding the position status, regardless of the outcome.

Interview Questions

• How did you find out about this position at the NRDC?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for NRDC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The first round is a phone screening with HR, then a panel interview with the team you'll be supporting, and the final round is with the direct supervisor. The phone screening isn't hard, it's a few generic questions to gauge whether you can do the work. The panel interview was pretty informal, they just skimmed through my resume and asked me questions about things that jumped out at them. They didn't seem very prepared. The final interview was also pretty informal, and I don't know if it's because that's just the supervisor's personality, or because he didn't take me seriously as a candidate. He asked more questions about my ability to do the job, and gauged whether I would be a good fit with the team. He was very candid and said that program assistants usually stay in the position for 2-3 years and then move on because it is rare and difficult to move up within the org. I was told they would make a hiring decision after two weeks, and then never heard anything. Overall I found the process unimpressive at best, if not unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What is your current salary, and what are your salary requirements? Why are you looking to leave your current job? What kind of work environment are you seeking? What are you looking for in your next role? Why are you interested in NRDC and this position, specifically? This job will require you to be continually productive on long-term assignments, but also able to respond to urgent requests in a moment’s notice. Do you have any experience in an environment that requires that type of attention span? What do you feel is key to working well with a team? Do you have any experience copy-editing? Please explain. What are your 3 greatest strengths and how would those strengths support this role? Do you have any experience managing budgets, invoices, and expenses for a department or project?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NRDC.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the HR rep in DC. It's was brief, basic and easy. He asked me simple questions and it was less than half an hour. It's was bit informal because this is just 1 out of 3 interviews. It took about a week to get a call back from the local office that I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the job?
      Why do you want to work for NRDC?
      How would you handle multiple deadlines?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at NRDC.

Interview

Throughout the process, everyone involved was extremely pleasant and insightful, though it seemed NRDC unfortunately did not have the proper resources to adequately manage the entire process from start to finish. I was disappointed in how they failed to notify me in the long-run about the decision and update the job website. This was even after following up and continuing to express interest in the role with the program lead. The team was extremely fun to Skype and discuss my career goals with, though and offered great advice into the field of environmental law and into the day-to-day of NRDC. I would note that the Skype software that they utilize is through Microsoft, so you must download another plug-in before signing into it.

Interview Questions

• In what importance would you rank the three attributes: professionalism, creativity and attention to detail?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NRDC (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was given a brief phone screen, where the position was described and we went through my experiences on my resume. I was then called in for an in-person interview. It was a comfortable conversational interview, and I really appreciated the chance to meet other employees with the Program Assistant title, to learn more about the day-to-day. After the interview, my references were called, and I waited three weeks to hear back.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with multiple competing demands?   1 Answer

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at NRDC in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online but also had someone that worked for the company get me in the door. I first had someone contact me for a pre-screening. I was called later that afternoon to set up a Skype interview (I was out of state). I was very prepared for the interview. I met with 5 different people in the company and it lasted over two hours. They seemed really impressed by my resume and gave me a timeline for when they would contact me (they said they would let all candidates know either way if they got the job). That day came with no call, so I contacted the company. They told me they were behind and should have an answer by the end of the week. I called after the weekend with no response. I have not heard back. I was very unimpressed by how this was handled. To go through a lengthy interview process and no one has the courtesy or respect to call you. The job was not going to offer much - they made it clear you could not move up in the company and the pay was likely very little. But given how this process was handled, I wouldn't apply again to the company.

Interview Questions

• Some Questions
      1. Give an example of when you worked individually and what results you got.
      2. Give an example of when you worked as a team and what you learned
      3. Describe a struggle you experienced and how you death with it
      4. The hardest question, for me, was where you see yourself in 5 years. I had a good answer, but after a company tells you that there is no room to move up and most people work only 2-3 years as a program assistant and then move out of the company or go back to school, it's hard to find an answer in line with that type of attitude.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NRDC (San Francisco, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

Very competitive nonprofit. Absolutely incredible staff--my interviews were intense, but also inspiring and enjoyable! I loved everyone I met. I had two phone interviews, and one long in-person interview (with two different panels). Due to the competetive nature of the position, I had to wait 2+weeks for a decision (but it's worth it!).

Interview Questions

• What's a tendancy or trait you have that often holds you back? Can you elaborate?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Wonderful! NRDC has world-class HR. They offered above the salary I requested for this position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at NRDC (Boston, MA) in June 2018.

Interview

Interview process was very very long. A full 6 months from applying to Finishing up my last interview. Despite the longevity of the process, everyone I interviewed with was nice and engaging. The interviews themselves were very standard. No one really was trying to trip me up. Mostly the usual questions. It is frustrating waiting weeks and weeks to hear if you made it to the next round though.

Interview Questions

• How do you balance conflicting deadlines? Tell us about a time you didn’t have enough time to finish all of the tasks you had to finish.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NRDC.

Interview

Had a brief phone screening interview with HR, then an in-person interview with 2-3 other Program Assistants and 2-3 managers. Everyone was very friendly and courteous, questions were not difficult and mostly related to direct skills/tasks relevant to the job posting. Afterwards, I had a brief phone call with another manager who was not able to attend the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at NRDC (New York, NY) in September 2018.

Interview

I went through 3 different interviews. First was a screening call with an HR rep, who seemed quite uninterested, she asked standard interview questions from a prepared sheet in front of her.
    Second interview was with a policy adviser who I would be reporting, it was a great and relatively informal interview, I left feeling really great about it all. I was told I would hear back the following week, it took 3 weeks and a follow up email from me to get an answer, that I had passed the next round and could I come in the following week for a panel interview.
    Third interview, was about a month after my second interview , it was a panel interview (as stated above) I interviewed with an HR rep (not the one for the department I was applying for) a senior member from a different team, someone from the DC office in a senior role and another program assistant in my role from the DC office. Overall it was a great interview, standard and interesting questions were raised. it last about an hour.

Now for the ridiculously annoying and unprofessional bit (although the 3 weeks between interview 2-3 was also a bit much) I was told I would hear by the end of the week if not early the following week if I got the position or not considering I was one of 2-3 people in the final round. 10 days pass by and I send a follow up email inquiring as to the status of my application. I didn't get a response, another 2 weeks went by and I had received a job offer elsewhere, I emailed NRDC again and inquired yet again, and I received a response 2-3 days later stating I was still in the running and sorry for the delay but that they were still interviewing people for the position, and that they would be in touch with me soon. Since then I have taken the other job offer and have yet to hear from the NRDC, it has now been 6 weeks since my final interview. I'm appalled that such a well known and good-doing organisation is so poorly managed internally. It's a shame as well as this was my top choice for organisations to work at and still would love to work there, but considering I sent in my initial application in June and we are now nearing November... 6 months to hire someone is absolutely ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when things went wrong in your past positions and how did you cope with it?   Answer Question