NSA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.7

Information Systems Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NSA (Baltimore, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position in January and it took 4 months for me to actually have the interview. The first part was an email confirmation to schedule a phone interview, then a phone interview to confirm the details on my application. Sometime in March I was contacted to schedule an interview at an NSA facility near Baltimore, MD. (The NSA paid for all travel and lodging). About a month later I had the interview. The NSA interview was a 45 minute technical interview face to face with a manager in that department. They asked basic IT questions that I was able to answer. Ultimately I did not receive an offer. If the NSA is reading this, please find a way to speed up your interview process. It shouldn't take 4 months from application to interview in my opinion.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savage, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at NSA (Savage, MN) in January 2017.

Interview

Very long process. They fly you out to the HQ to do a lot of testing and then do the tech interview AFTERWARDS, which is a waste of their own time and money. They spent money for 60 people to fly and do security processing and only took about 20 of them after tech interview filtering

Interview Questions

• How did you overcome something difficult recently?   1 Answer

Applied Research Mathematician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Meade, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at NSA (Fort Meade, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process for mathematicians involves an initial phone screening, a proficiency test, and all the paperwork for a clearance, before going out for interviews. When you go out for interviews you will likely also do your polygraph. The interviews them selves are 3-4 one on one interview with other mathematicians in different departments, with the option to do a presentation.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were about background and previous research, with 1 "toy problem" per interview.   Answer Question

Police Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Meade, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at NSA (Fort Meade, MD).

Interview

moderate physical test to include run, agility test, push ups and sit ups., 10 question interview, background investigation, polygraph, mental evaluation, physical, drug test. Little to no information during extremely long and grueling process. Background investigation is top notch and thorough. Once a selection is made, it is expected the person be ready quickly.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were the manager of a movie theater and some one called in a bomb threat?   4 Answers

Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Meade, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NSA (Fort Meade, MD).

Interview

Got a package in the mail after applying at USA Jobs (which had a ton of questions already). Did a basic tech screen. Had to fill out and submit an entire application package and rush it. Went onsite, had a panel interview which rapid fired technical questions and scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a recent technical deployment of technology X and tell us the problems you encountered, how you fixed it, and whom you worked with to accomplish it.   Answer Question

Computer Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NSA in August 2016.

Interview

Very long internal hiring process. I applied online for the position and had to fill out a lengthy 'resume' that included where I was to gauge my own skills, personal information, and background information. After a few weeks I was contacted via email by a recruiter letting me know that I would be called for a phone 'interview' to go over everything that I submitted online. Another few weeks passed before I was moved along in the security review process. From there about 5 weeks passed before I was given a contingent offer. I was not given the ability to counter the offer or negotiate for a higher 'step' in the pay scale.

Interview Questions

Benefits offered are very good and job stability is wonderful, however the pay offered is far below what contracting companies will offer.

Business Financial Manager Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis Junction, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NSA (Annapolis Junction, MD).

Interview

I applied on the NSA website. I received an email just about a month after applying to the position requesting a copy of my unofficial school transcripts. I sent the transcripts per the request of the recruiter. After not hearing anything back from that recruiter, approximately two weeks later I received another email from a different recruiter requesting both my unofficial transcripts and my updated resume. After sending those I was set up with a time for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted just about 15 minutes and was mostly spent reviewing privacy disclosures and verifying information from my resume. Three days after the phone interview I was set up for an in person interview at one of their locations at their expense. This is where the interview fell apart. One of the first questions that my interviewer had asked is if I actually knew what I was interviewing for. Upon responding "Business Financial Manager Development Program" my interviewer informed me they actually had me down as interviewing for a contract specialist position. At this point I had expected the interview to end and maybe I would be able to contact the recruiter about the mix up. However the interviewer continued with the interview for the contract specialist position as if I had applied to that. Being completely unprepared for a position I did not apply to it is no wonder why I was not offered the job. Using my story as an example if you do apply to the NSA, make sure in any correspondence you have with them that you are in fact interviewing for the position you applied for...

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Meade, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NSA (Fort Meade, MD) in May 2016.

Interview

The process took about 3 months with first a phone interview and then a operational interview a month later. Received a conditional offer about 2 weeks after. The phone screen was basic background questions and fact checking. They pay for everything from travel and accommodations.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions, what are your strength? What can you bring to the company? Etc.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at NSA.

Interview

It was really a great experience interviewing for the NSA. They put me up in a comfortable hotel and pay for everything including food and transportation. There was some waiting, given the large about of positions being filled, but nothing too long. I packed food and a book so it was very comfortable. The interview itself was very casual.

Interview Questions

• Most questions where open ended pertaining to something I put on my resume. Other questions where related to why do I want to work at the NSA or why Data Science? Very easy interview no trick questions or odd ball math problems.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Meade, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NSA (Fort Meade, MD) in May 2016.

Interview

After completing the online application and sending my resume into NSA a recruiter called me about 30 days later. I scheduled a initial screening interview which mostly consisted of questions about my background. I then received a phone call to schedule a performance interview.

The performance interview mostly consisted of questions about my education, the courses I took and the projects I participated in. I was also asked to perform a simple counting for loop program by writing it down on paper.

Interview Questions

• Choose any programming language of your choose and write a for loop that counts backwards from 10.   2 Answers