NSF International Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 23, 2017

2.6

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NSF International (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

Good. meet with 3 individuals together. reasonable questions but not very clear on job expectations. We discussed mutual connections. It helps to know other employees, or faculty affiliated with the University of Michigan, especially the University of Michigan School of Public Health

User Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NSF International.

Interview

Asked simple questions about experience in IT. Basically asked for a general overview of experience I had that related to the position I was applying for. Didn't ask any situational questions, or "discribe a situation when".

Interview Questions

• What projects have you worked on that relate to user support?   Answer Question

Director/Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at NSF International in February 2017.

Interview

8 interviews. Two with recruiter, one with VP, one with manager/general manager, then four hours with each of three VP/Directors and CEO. No hard questions asked. Very interested in garnering ideas for how to grow a particular business segment. Professional, yes. Aloof, yes. At close did I believe I would get the job, no. There is dissension among the execs there in terms of direction. Was asked several times (at least 4) how would you execute this idea. Sorry. I don't give things away for free. Was asked by HR if I believed the electoral college should be abolished, as didn't I believe everyone's vote should count. Remember where NSF International obtains funding from and work from -- they make money off government mandates. The field was close to 100 applicants. Am told 10-12 were brought in. Nobody was hired to date. This job was posted last summer (2016) and nobody was hired then either. There's a lesson in this. If it looks too good to be true, and sounds too good, and goes too easily...wake up.

And after the first hour (after first one-on-one) of interviewing, I already knew they were going through motions and would pass on me. Questions became too canned.

Also, the post did not describe direct reports and I did ask the recruiter about that and was told, the firm was not sure about the exact role (red flag) and did not know if reports would be included as part of the management responsibility(as in people, direct reports). Two high level people laughed at me when I asked if there would be direct reports. Yes, they chuckled. The job post does not say it, and the recruiter said the team was not sure, so why were they laughing. I know many people who come on board and do not have direct reports until 6 months later. Plus the post said, "recruit, train..." etc -- sounds like you are building a team, not inheriting one.

PS I did not apply for this job. A recruiter reached out to me and asked if I might be interested. Since that initial contact, I have heard horror stories about the firm and its management with emphasis on the leaders. And the information comes from people who work there and people who interviewed there, just as I did, and for the same level of job. 9+ hours of interviews 8-9 separate interviews, and no hire. And to date nobody got the job.

Interview Questions

• 1) How would you implement one of your ideas (which specifically was an idea for how to grow/cross market a particular business segment offering into another business segment). ...What steps would you take...tell me more detail about what you would do, the steps...outline them.

2) What do you know about P&L for a business.....

3) What kind of manager are you?

4) Why did you leave each of the companies you left?

5) How do you feel about travel?
      1 Answer

SQL Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NSF International (Detroit, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview went well. Was asked about my background and asked about some technical questions on the job I applied for. The interview went well. Was asked about my background and asked about some technical questions on the job I applied for. The interview went well. Was asked about my background and asked about some technical questions on the job I applied for. The interview went well. Was asked about my background and asked about some technical questions on the job I applied for.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about you and a few other questions.   1 Answer

Business Unit Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NSF International (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a very brief phone call with recruiter beforehand. Met the next week with three 45 minute interviews. None of the people I met with were prepared or had done their homework. NSF needs to work with those doing interviews to coach them on what kind of stuff to say or ask. One guy even admitted he hadn't had time to look over my resume. It gave me little faith that any of the other people who had been hired in that group were any good.

Technical Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NSF International (Ann Arbor, MI) in May 2016.

Interview

Outside applicants are typically given a brief phone interview by HR to determine qualifications for a given position. Interview process varies wildly on the person giving the interview. You generally are asked a series of typical questions, with the occasional challenging hypothetical question. Interviews may be panel style or a series of interviews. Hiring process may take several weeks or months.

Interview Questions

• How would you resolve a hypothetical problem between two employees.   Answer Question

Associate Toxicologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NSF International (Ann Arbor, MI) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied electronically, and was contacted via email about a week later. I was first scheduled for a 15 minute phone interview. After this, I was told that the management team for my position would review my files and I would hear back within the week if I would be given the opportunity to interview in person (three separate 1:1 interviews over 1.5 hours). I received a phone call and email confirming a future in-person interview. In person interview was conversational and back and forth in nature.

Interview Questions

• From initial phone interview: Describe your current or expected salary.   1 Answer

Registration Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at NSF International (Ann Arbor, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by NSF International, Human Resources for a phone interview then an in person interview was set up. The phone interview was about 30 minutes and the in person interview was a little over and hour. I was interviewed both by the person in the room and another person over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Your boss will not be a the Ann Arbor location. How do you feel about having to report to our boss only by phone or email?   1 Answer

Retail Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NSF International.

Interview

One initial phone interview and two video interviews with long waits for responses in between interviews. No response to emails following up the interviews. Repetitive questions throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NSF International.

Interview

Phone call interview by HR, week later 1st interview at HQ w/mgmt in department, 2nd interview with upper mgmt another week later at HQ. From talking with other at NSF, this was very fast as it took one or more months for others.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation when someone disagreed with you   Answer Question