NVIDIA Senior Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NVIDIA Senior Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 9, 2017

3.7

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA.

Interview

Interview was over a couple days, 2-3 people at 45min slots per day. It was all over the phone as people interviewing were spread across many different offices. People seemed super nice and the company really seems like it's growing. I think there's a lot of opportunities here and most of the people interviewing me had been at Nvidia for 5, 7, even 12 years. Seems like they really take care of their employees.

Interview Questions

• How would you do a security review for a website?

Tell me about memory corruption bugs.

Explain how memory management works.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview was in friendly atmosphere. I was asked about my latest projects, the most challenged debugging project and about operation system, where I had the most experience. Also they asked me about my salary and benefits expectations from NVIDIA. There were a lot of technical questions from the easiest one to the very difficult.

Interview Questions

• Static and volatile world in C. What is the semaphore, mutex, binary semaphore, priority inversions. Writing task was to find the middle value between two points used only integer values.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Submit the application online and wait. It may be several weeks before you hear anything so if you are between jobs this may not work for you.

This was a phone screen covering past work, architecture type questions and OS questions. A simple coding question was also ask but this was not an interactive session.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep hardware registers from being cached?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

I was initially emailed by an HR person who set me up with a phone interview. The phone interview was with a very rude manager who kept interrupting me and spoke with a heavy indian accent. He asked me a few questions that were not very clearly defined in my opinion. The conversation ended earlier than I had been told (15 minutes as opposed to 45) which I think was due to the fact that I asked for several clarifications. A few weeks later I was emailed that I was not chosen for the position.

Interview Questions

• if there exists a sequence of integers in order, and you are at a receiver and you obtain these integers out of order, how can you know which integer is missing?   1 Answer
    • asked me several questions about face detections, the interviewer did not know much about this topic though and was just trying to test the level of my knowledge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (San Jose, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

It is tedious process. 7 rounds interviews in one day.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

As i recall there was an initial phone screen with the hiring manager. This lead to a second phone screen and then I was flown in for a day of on site interviews with 7 people.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interviews were discussion oriented, past projects and technology used. Positive experience overall.
      Some difficult questions thrown in, search algorithms.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

The HR guy was quite an unpleasant specimen. I didn't enjoy negotiating with the fellow, he seemed quite surprised when I stated my requests, claimed that nvidia doesn't negotiate, I would be sent an offer and I could take it or leave it. In the end the offer they sent was what I asked for...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (San Jose, CA) in December 2008.

Interview

Good experience, good people, good arrangements. One negative: most of the interview questions were asking me to write code at a whiteboard. I don't do that on the job (who does?): I use reference material (JavaDoc) and an IDE (Eclipse) or at least a language-specific editor. That was unrealistic and difficult. Some of the questions were more creative, however -- interesting algorithm puzzles -- and I enjoyed those.

Interview Questions

• Find the words used in some text and report by word length and how often each word appears.   1 Answer

Senior Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Pune (India)) in August 2016.

Interview

- Phone screen with HR
    - Phone screen with Hiring Manager

if these above 2 steps go well, you would be asked to appear for in person day long interviews -
    - In person tech round, design, architecture
    - In person people manager discussion round, case studies, how did you handle some challenging situations
    - In person project management, product design round
    - In person team management, performance management, process knowledge round
    - In person technical detailed discussion round, be ready to describe your current product and answer all the design decisions and logic behind those, can dig deeper
    - In person HR round

Interview Questions

• current product architecture

how would convince the wider senior forum about a business decision that they have already made up their mind on and change the direction with new cost and project roadmap
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation

Senior Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Pune (India)) in May 2015.

Interview

one telephonic round and 5 face to face technical round. The telephonic round was mostly about my past experience and it tested by basic understanding of technical aspects of my job. The face to face rounds were very grueling. They tested each and every aspect of the job i would be doing in Nvidia if i join. You can't bluff and you have to be very straightforward with your answers.

Interview Questions

• Questions were asked related to data structure, OS concepts, Multi threaded programming, lots of analytical questions/ puzzles , C / C++ programming.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Tokyo (Japan)).

Interview

Linkedin invitation, 5 phone interviews technical Q&A, 1 on-site interview.
    There was technical Q&A related to operating system basics, ARM SoC architecture, GPU basic architecture, memory allocation under the hoods and so on.
    Background reference check was needed and 2 reference from former company contact info and their interaction was needed.

Interview Questions

• Difference beetween exception handling and IRQ handling, memory barrier, Trustzone basics   Answer Question