NVIDIA Interview Questions in Santa Clara, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 17, 2017

3.2

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview process was a bit messed up. The first person I was supposed to meet did not show up until about half hour. Then the second person was called who I was interviewing with and the first person just barged in to say sorry without caring if I really acknowledged it. Then it was people showing up in random order than what I was given the schedule. Anyway I talked from 11 - 3 pm.

Interview Questions

• -some memory mapping question (figure out the issue). there was some flag that made the memory sharable
      - memory aligning to some boundary (n- 2,3,4...)
      - implement a mutex in assembly
      - copying stuff to SD card (on a netwrok) and problems related to that..

Software Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Had two technical interviews. First one was with the hiring manager. His questions were more knowledge-based than skill based. He wanted to ensure I had a strong grasp on relevant hardware/software topics like caches, scheduling, deadlocks, and OS fundamentals. He also asked a few trivial behavioral questions. Next day, got called up for another technical interview with a technical lead. This was more about applying knowledge to solve problems. I was asked about implementing barrier operations on different levels of the system (starting from a high-level OS perspective down to the hardware-level).

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

2 phone screens followed by an onsite. Met with multiple people from the team, management and also people from teams you would interact with. Everyone seemed stuck up on culture.
    Even though i answered all the questions- technical and behavioral they kept coming back to how they need to find someone who would fit their culture.

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

First round phone screen for about 50 mins. 10 mins to discuss about my resume.
    30 mins for Linux kernel questions and 10 mins for C questions.
    Most of questions are yes or no question but it was kind of tricky questions.

Interview Questions

• Linux kernel
      1. Memory allocation and management
      2. Thread creation and usage,
      3. Debugger. Difference between h/w and s/w break point
      4. ISR bottom half and top half

C questions.
      1. Volatile variable and usage.
      2. Static variable and usage.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

They use a poll of applications, it is not about very specific positions with posts that are expiring, it is not dynamic like in the case of other companies. If you apply to several job openings and are called for an interview, they won't give you the specific number of the job opening.

Interview Questions

• In most cases you need to have some experience with CUDA. If you want to increase your chances of getting a job offer you need to know very well about linked lists. We used the collabedit.com for the interview. It is like a chat but for coding. I got the following question on the screen of collabedit:

// There is a chunk of memory in the kernel address space represented by kernelResource and an API exists to clear it. An IOCTL path exists to take a request from user-mode and using O/S services eventually dispatches to API_ZeroResource. From a security perspective what concerns do you have with this implementation? How would you fix them?

// KERNEL
      BYTE kernelResource[10] = {0};

int API_ZeroResource( in_params *pParams )
      {
          if (pParams->offset + pParams->length > sizeof(kernelResource))
              return ERR_INVALID_LIMIT;

memset(kernelResource + pParams->offset, 0, pParams->length);

return 0;

// USER

void ZeroResource()
          in_params params = { ??? };

// an ioctl path exists to call API_ZeroResource
          ioctl( CMD_ZeroResource, &params );
      4 Answers

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Consisted of a short phone interview.
    The interviewer was rather rushed and seemed to be doing other work while on the phone with me.
    The questions were fairly basic and to the point. Make sure you know about NVIDIA in depth.

Interview Questions

• They asked about previous jobs and their connection to NVIDIA.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Systems) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The internship I was applying for was in Santa Clara CA. It was a round of 3 phone interviews. The first one was general technical questions, some brain teasers and some behavioral questions. The second interview was a coding interview with only one question to solve. You have to code it in C. you can't use any other language (makes sense because they do mostly low level stuff). The third one was also a coding interview with a couple of questions. The same restriction about the language applies.

Interview Questions

• Implement the "grep" command. You only have to consider the asterisk wildcard " * ".   Answer Question
    • Merge two sorted arrays in O(n) time and O(1) space.   Answer Question

ASIC Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

2 hour long phone interviews followed by a 4.5 hour onsite.
    Phone interviewers were nice.

Interview questions were challenging and it would have been a great experience had it not been for some rude interviewer.

One of the interviewers was the rudest person i have come across. He started off by insulting thee way work at my current company (i work for a competitor). He also answered a phone call while i was answering a question, claiming that he answered it at that time since he was not able to receive the call on the day before. Yes, he thought that the best time to answer that call was while conducting an interview!!

People are smart but some of them really need learn interview etiquette and basic courtesy.

Interview Questions

• Basic pipelining, C/C++ and Perl coding, Verilog, FSMs, Caches   Answer Question

Video Software Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online on the website. Got a call from a staffing coordinator within a day, who set up an interview for me. 2 rounds of interviews were held, both over phone, 40 mins each. Questions were mainly related to basic C++ syntax and bit manipulation problems. Most of the questions were repeated multiple times on Glassdoor reviews for NVIDIA. Thought I did well in both of them. But was rejected unexpectedly.

Interview Questions

• Write C macro with 2 inputs n, data (integer) - output: set the nth bit of data to 1
      Write your own C function to do string copy
    • Output of this function:

void foo(void)
      unsigned int a = 6;
      int b = -20;
      (a+b > 6) ? puts(“> 6”) : puts(“<= 6”);
      1 Answer
    • what’s wrong with this ISR function?

__interrupt double compute_area(double radius) {
      double area = PI * radius * radius;
      printf(“\nArea = %f”, area);
      return area;
      1 Answer
    • Using the variable a, write down definitions for the following:
      (a) An integer
      (b) A pointer to an integer