NVIDIA Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 13, 2017

3.3

54 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NVIDIA in May 2015.

Interview

The HR contacted me, for a phone screen, with the hiring manager. Time and date were scheduled, over email.

First Phone screen-

The hiring manager called, and explained the role. He went over my resume, and asked questions about my project. Asked me to explain some projects. Then asked what is virtual memory, whats a mutex, difference between a mutex and a spin lock. He asked some behavioural questions like- How important is communication? What are advantages of being a team [player versus working alone? if you were to pick a manager, what traits would you look for? If you were a manager, how would you pick engineers ( what traits etc). How important is marketing skill in an engineer?

Overall -cordial, polite, to the point, and nice.

Got through first round-

Got email the next day, about second phone screen.

Second phone screen was with an engineer.

He was also polite, cordial. Introduced himself, explained about some background. He saw over my resume, and asked some resume based project. Then he asked me if i have a pen and a paper with me. I did, and he asked me to write a memcopy implementation in C. I fumbled a bit on this and goofed up the implementation. He asked me to optimize the code, and what would the max optimization would be possible in such a code? He also wanted the code to be cross platform across 32 bit as well as 64 bit.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for NVIDIA

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NVIDIA.

Interview

Interview process is systemetic.
    They hire fewer people and upon recruirement.
    Openings at nvidia for juniour engineers are almost freezed throughout the year. But for seniour engineers they sometimes start reviewing applications but only upon extreme demanding situation while keeping interview process really tough.

Interview Questions

• They mostly get into details of Operating system and bit manupulations.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated for increasing joining bonus. which was eventually offered.

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Interview

maze traversal and back tracking
    how does a debugger work?
    semaphores, mutex, spin locks
    mutexes and spin locks in interrupts
    top halves and bottom halves in interrupt
    implement strlen function
    count freq of characters
    encoding chars into numbers for eg. abc -1 def -2 etc

why padding is needed in struct
    difference between interrupt and exception

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

3 phone interview, 2 technical and 1 interpersonal with the hiring manager. First phone interviews technical question was to write a binary search tree class in C, it should implement insertions, deletions and search functions. Second interview technical question was to implement a clipping algorithm in pseudo-code that could handle more clip windows than were supported in hardware. Third interview had a number of personal and moral questions. Made it to the on-site. Was asked to write my own implementation of Tail in C, was asked to write an algorithm in C that would determine if a point lay within any polygonal bounding area, and was asked to write a function that could print any UTF string in reverse. Lunch interview where I was allowed to ask question about the company, and then a personal interview with HR and the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Definitely the point contained within the bounding polygon. Was expecting to be asked a question about a point bound in a rectangle, but not bound by any polygon.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (San Jose, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied for the systems software engineer job posting online. After a month of applying, the HR reached out to me and the telephonic interview timings were sent by email by one of the HR's. They were quite flexible when it came to interview timings and date. The interview process was very structured and professional

Interview Questions

• The questions were mostly on RTOS and its concepts. Questions ranged from what is a semaphore, difference between semaphore and mutex, how would you design a system where 2 threads are trying to access a shared resource at the same time. FInally i got a dynamic problem - write a program which accepts user data of any type ( it can be a variable, array, structure, pointers etc) and
      sorts it. I did not know the solution to this question   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NVIDIA (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

First is a phone screen, ask me about a Dynamic Programming problem. Such as there is a list contain some numbers less than 10, such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.. but don't know how many. How can you find the biggest one. And when I finish, the man try to change the difficult level of this question such as if there are more than 100 number in this list, or if i define the number as a int, how can i do if the number bigger than the limit of int...seems he want to ask me until I cannot answer the question...

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

A 1.5 Month long process

3 phone screens - (30-45 mins each)
     + Phone interview 1 with the manager - Resume review, knowing my interests and very abstract technical discussions about the academic projects.
     + Phone interview 2 (Technical) - Programming questions (3)
     + Phone interview 3 (Technical) - Programming questions (2) + Questions based on my resume.

1 onsite - (6 interviews - 40-45 mins each)
      + Here, they will grill you. Lot of programming + design + conceptual questions.

Interview Questions

• You have to be good with the following to get an offer,
      + Data structures
      + Algos
      + OS concepts
      + Computer Arch

Difficulty level - Moderate to hard   Answer Question

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA.

Interview

First HR contacted me, then there is the first phone interview asking project experience and background, with a simple string swapping question, explain virtual memory, later it's the second interview, asking project experience and background again, explain virtual memory again, simple lnked list add/remove question, then on-site interview, 6 interviewer, 45 minutes each, I explained my project experience 6 times, with algorithm, data structure, virtual memory, CPU cache, debugging questions.

Interview Questions

• swap an extermely large integer array in bits, cannot use bit operation because too slow.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Campus - job fair. Got an interview call. Lasted 50 minutes. Most of the questions were core systems questions and one coding question at the end. Started from interrupt handlers, to priority inversion to pipe-lining ,etc. Also asked about earlier projects, work experience. Asked synchronization problems like consumer producer and mutexes.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement semaphores / mutexes in interrupt handlers ? Should we implement mutexes in interrupt handlers ? Can we sleep an interrupt ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

I had two interviews, and both were on the phone. One interview was with a manager; second interview was with a software engineer. The manager asked me some high-level questions about my background, experience, and interests. The software engineer asked me a couple of (fairly simple) technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a page size and a number, align the number with the nearest page.

(Note: This was a phone interview question. The interviewer and I used an online document to share ideas about this problem.   5 Answers
    • Implement memcpy.   3 Answers

Negotiation

The offer was very competitive; I didn't feel interested in negotiating.