NVIDIA Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NVIDIA Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at NVIDIA

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Lot of technical Questions. Asked to write short programs, algorithms, some math Questions, Linux kernel internals, basic hardware debugging questions. One of the interviewers asked some tough programming questions which couldn't be solved in an hour, but he was mainly looking to see how I approach the problem.

Interview Questions

• Asked to calculate the angular position in a clock?
    Linux kernel memory allocation techniques?
    aligned malloc and aligned free   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for NVIDIA

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I had phone interview, duration about 45 min. The man who interview me was very cool and pleasant. This was my first "big" interview so i had stage fright. It was a difficult because I had not share document so communication was only by phone. It is difficult to dictate code by phone.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

be relaxed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview process was a bit messed up. The first person I was supposed to meet did not show up until about half hour. Then the second person was called who I was interviewing with and the first person just barged in to say sorry without caring if I really acknowledged it. Then it was people showing up in random order than what I was given the schedule. Anyway I talked from 11 - 3 pm.

Interview Questions

• -some memory mapping question (figure out the issue). there was some flag that made the memory sharable
      - memory aligning to some boundary (n- 2,3,4...)
      - implement a mutex in assembly
      - copying stuff to SD card (on a netwrok) and problems related to that..   1 Answer

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA in June 2016.

Interview

Applied for the internship through a school listing at my college. Had two interviews, both technical, over the phone. Questions ranged from networking concepts to java specific things. Each interview required coding, demonstrating ability and to use and understand various data structures.

Interview Questions

• Traverse a doubly linked list and find/remove a given value.   Answer Question

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a HR personnel after about a month. A phone interview was scheduled. The one on one phone interview was with a very senior employee. The interview was very easy and I answered every question correctly. But did not get the offer.

Only simple coding challenges and OS concepts were asked.

Interview Questions

• Coding challenge: Round a number to the next largest multiple of 16.   1 Answer
    • Coding challenge: Swap even and odd bits of a 32 bit integer.   Answer Question
    • Coding challenge: Reverse a string.   Answer Question
    • Question on function pointers, virtual memory and page faults.   Answer Question

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Had 2 phone interviews after being contacted by a recruiter. The first interview was with the hiring manager and it went well. It was technical with a mix of OS/ data structures knowledge and a reasonable coding problem. The second interview was with an engineering team member. Within the first few seconds I knew it would not go well because he had a VERY thick accent and was extremely difficult to understand over the phone. The interview focused mostly on debugging strategies/scenarios and some OS-related questions. It was an incredibly awkward interview as I had to ask him to repeat almost every one of his questions, sometimes multiple times and a couple of his questions I had to ultimately guess what he meant. Really strange that Nvidia allowed this to happen.

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NVIDIA.

Interview

I applied online and scheduled a phone interview with one of the engineers from the team. There were couple questions on basic concepts but also a few coding questions. The coding questions used an online text editor where you and the interviewer can co-edit, but the first program I used during this interview was a little glitchy but he had a backup so we were able to finish the interview using another editor.

Interview Questions

• big endian vs little endian   1 Answer
    • from OS/kernel perspective, what happens when a program is executed?   Answer Question
    • difference between thread and process   Answer Question
    • write code that reverses a string (follow up questions that deal with pointers and parameter passing)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Austin, TX) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied online for a separate Software Engineer position. A week later I get an email from a recruiter saying that the hiring manager for a separate team saw my resume and would like to interview me. The interview lasted about 45 minutes long. He asked general OS and C++/C questions. I answered all of these questions correctly. Then he tells me great job and proceeds to speak about his team and the work that they do. He even asks me which location I would prefer to work. Although I didn't make it far in the interview process, he told me that the process for his team is generally this:

Interview with hiring manager (himself)
    Interview with an engineer on his team (more detailed C/C++ questions, coding problem)
    Onsite

The interview with the manager was fairly positive....it was the events that happened after that lead to my negative experience. I was told by the manager that I should hear back from him in a week. A week goes by and I email the recruiter asking what the status of my application was. I explained to them that I had a competing offer and I had a deadline. She tells me that she will speak with him and the team then get to me......then I never got a response. This same sequence of events happened for 5 weeks. It wasn't until the 5th week that I got an email from a separate recruiter saying that they will not be moving forward.

By far the most unprofessional and aggravating interview experience I've ever had. Sucks too because I would have loved working for this company. I hope that your interview experience with NVIDA is much better than mine.

Interview Questions

• What is malloc in C? What type of problems can arise when using this?

What is virtual memory? Explain it's usage.

Interrupt vs Exception?

What is a mutex? When would you use it?

Difference between a thread and a process?

What is deadlock? Possible ways of fixing this?

Honestly, if you study all of the interview questions for Systems Software Engineer on Glassdoor, you should do very well in the interview. Good luck.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Interviewed for two jobs at once - two technical phone screens for the first one, one technical phone screen for the other, then invited for a joint onsite. Got decision one week after onsite.

Interview Questions

• Standard whiteboard programming in C, OS/systems, testing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (San Jose, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

2 phone rounds and an onsite. the process took almost a month to finish. Resume and Coding questions were asked in each round. About 5 interviews onsite, manager and recruiter rounds not included in them.