NVIDIA Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NVIDIA Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at NVIDIA

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

Applied through a reference. Spoke to a recruiter who asked to describe the experience on my resume. Resume was then posted to the NVIDIA job board, after which multiple people from different teams contacted me. Had a technical phone screen where I was asked much more in depth questions about my experience, followed by technical phone interview. After which they flew me to Santa Clara site, and went through a series of 6 interviews.

Interview Questions

• If we have a string : "abc ef 12 g", write a function that takes the pointer to the string reorganizes the string to be: "g 12 ef abc". Note that there are 3 spaces after abc, 2 spaces after ef, and 1 space after 12 in the original string, but the spaces are reversed. So in essence, write a function to reverse a string and then put the words between the spaces back in order. And the string length can be known or not.   1 Answer
  • write a function where if you are given the pointer to the head of a linked list, return the pointer of the middle node. And modify the program to check if the linked list loops back into itself.   1 Answer
  • write a function to check if an unsigned integer is a power of 2. if it is a power of 2, return the power. otherwise return 0.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for NVIDIA

Software Engineer(Systems) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The internship I was applying for was in Santa Clara CA. It was a round of 3 phone interviews. The first one was general technical questions, some brain teasers and some behavioral questions. The second interview was a coding interview with only one question to solve. You have to code it in C. you can't use any other language (makes sense because they do mostly low level stuff). The third one was also a coding interview with a couple of questions. The same restriction about the language applies.

Interview Questions

• Implement the "grep" command. You only have to consider the asterisk wildcard " * ".   Answer Question
    • Merge two sorted arrays in O(n) time and O(1) space.   Answer Question

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Bengaluru (India)) in February 2013.

Interview

I had one telephonic and one face to face interview.
    The telephonic was for testing my C/C++ skills and for the Face-to-Face I was asked specificallly about my projects. What was done and my role in it.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to relocate to Pune for this job?   1 Answer

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at NVIDIA.

Interview

I got into Nvidia through Campus placements at my college.

1. CV submission
    2. Written test: the written had 4 papers, : general quantitative, C programming, algo, computer architecture/OS. It was objective type
    3. After shortlisting from the written test, I appeared for the interview. Topics on which I was interviewed were: C programming, algo, etc. The contents of my CV were discussed.
    4. After furthur shortlisting, there was a hr/little technical interview (here 3 people were present). Mostly they asked about on which layer of the software stack I wanted to work on, and my location preferences etc.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not too difficult. When the interviewer asked me from a particular topic, which I was not conversant in, I told him so, and he shifted his questions to an area which I was comfortable in.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since it was campus recruitment, there was no negotiations

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Pune (India)) in August 2011.

Interview

Recruiter schedule several rounds with different people and then got me onsite for f2f interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They offered what I expected.

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NVIDIA (New Delhi (India)) in December 2012.

Interview

Process started with a written test which had 4 sections datastructures, operating system, c and general aptitude. Level of written was ok.
    After that there were two rounds of interview. First was technical in which most of the questions were from operation system and computer architecture.
    Second sound was HR in which there were general questions like what are your plans after mtech, What are your expectations from nvidia.

Interview Questions

• In technical round they asked me about different audio and video format and about hteir specification which was quiet unexpected for me.   Answer Question

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA in April 2012.

Interview

First interview with someone from Germany. Find number of occurrences of letters N-V-I-D-I-A. Solved problem two ways (1) if-else ladder (interviewer seemed unaware of parallel programming), (2) Counting sort. Second question, find n-th element from end of a singly linked list - solution, used circular buffer.

Second interview with manager from Santa Clara. Question - reverse bits in an integer. Solution, used boolean equation that had the same effect as shifting bits to correct position. Company phoned back asking for a follow-up interview the day I was flying out of the country, which seemed a bit inconsiderate.

Third interview with a software engineer from Santa Clara - review C code and suggest improvements. Solution - change char pointers to std::string etc.

Overall, a PhD, 15 years in OO design, Scott Meyers C++, safety critical testing and ASIC modelling proved insufficient. They seemed to want "coders", not patents. NVIDIA seems exciting, if you like writing linked lists, but not if you like algorithms and class design. Learning NVIDIA's chip architecture in preparation was a waste of time.

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Pune (India)) in July 2011.

Interview

It was part of campus placement. They had a strict percentage of marks criteria and it was followed by an Aptitude test. It consist of aptitude questions, C/C++ questions, Data Structure related problems, but most of it contained Operating System questions. 100 Questions and 2 hours.
    Followed by technical interviews and HR interview at NVIDIA office.
    Tech interview had mostly C/DS questions, they make you write code for sorting/searching algorithms, OS and micro processor related programs were also asked.

Interview Questions

• You have an array of 100 numbers, it has only 1,2 and 3 as numbers. Sort them.   1 Answer
    • Binary Search, Insertion Sort,   1 Answer
    • A matrix of N x N and one column and row were made zero   Answer Question

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NVIDIA in January 2010.

Interview

After submitting my resume to HR's email, I got a reply and setup a phone interview for me.

Interview Questions

• * Basic C programming
      * OS/ Computer architecture problem, ex: differentiate virtual address and physical address, TLB.
      * system level programming, ex: what is kernel mode vs. user mode. why using printk()?   Answer Question

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA in February 2012.

Interview

Handed my resume to a college recruiter. Phone interview with a engineer, asked me how to determine if a linked-list is circular. After giving him the answer, and him telling me it was wrong I realized he didn't know the difference between circular linked list, and cyclic linked list (the racing problem). I was put on hold a few times during the process and heard back 3 weeks later from the recruiter saying "Thanks" but I didn't make the cut.

Interview Questions

• Detect a cycle in a cyclic linked list.   2 Answers