NYC Teaching Fellows Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at NYC Teaching Fellows

3.3

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

There were three steps to the application process. You fill out online application, which includes essays to be written answering basic questions about your feelings regarding education/education reform and why you want to be involved. You are then advanced to a group interview which begins with an exam consisting of mathematics and strategies for teaching. You are then broken into groups, in which you must present a 5 minute teaching exercise. Then you work in a group on a case and finally you are interviewed individually.

Interview Questions

• The individual interview session goes over how you could have improved your teaching exercise or added to the group exercise. You do not have much time to reflect, so this can be difficult.   1 Answer

Candidate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in February 2019.

Interview

The process is somewhat tedious. The application questions where in-depth and required extensive thought. The Telephone Interview is 30 to 40 minutes in length and is administered by a New York State Licensed Teacher.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a middle school student who is inattentive and at times disruptive in class?   1 Answer

NYC Teaching Felliow Interview

Interview

Online Application (Three Essays), Phone Interview (30 minutes long and many questions are asked), Selection Day (three hour long group interview where you will have to make a lesson plan and teach for 5 minutes with interviewers and other interviewees in the classroom)

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview - You are assigned a grade level to teach. The weekend before class starts, the principals changes the grade level that you will teach. You have just planned out your lesson plans. How do you feel? What do you do?   Answer Question

Teaching Fellow/Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

The NYCTF application and hiring process is lengthy. Six months elapsed between my first contact with the fellows programs from submitting all online application requirements to my first day of teaching. The initial recruitment phase is brief. Candidates that are invited after the application review are scheduled for an assessment and performance task event. This phase takes place as group. Candidates are contact and told to prepare a brief lesson plan within their desired subject area. On the day of the assessment & performance tasks candidates take a simple quantitative assessment (that test critical thinking skills that instructors might apply when evaluating students).
    Candidates then split into smaller groups where they deliver their 5 minute lesson plans to a panel of NYCTF observers and other candidates (come prepared with your materials, be well rehearsed and crisp - you will definitely stand out).

Candidates were then given a scenario of a problem that might occur within a school and asked to come up with a presentation providing solutions to schools PTA. the catch is that the presentation is extremely time limited and all candidates are expected to speak. To my amazement, many candidates had simply given up at this point and took the back seat. I was well in my groove and share enough to demonstrate insightfulness but did not too much !

This was immediately followed by a brief one on one interview with an NYCTF interviewer- She referenced some points that stated in my application essay and asked for elaboration on my overall motivation and teaching philosophy.

I was also given immediate feedback on my mini lesson and asked to make modify my lesson and demonstrate the adapted version for the interview panel. I was given a few minutes to plan and one minute to re-do the lesson. I suggest keeping your adaptation simple.

I was accepted a NYCTF Teaching fellow in Spring 2013. Hope this review is helpful as you prepare for the recruiting process. Be patient! There are many routes to becoming an amazing Teacher.

Best wishes!

Interview Questions

• Questions on about improving instructional strategies floored my as I had only one. the one I planned.   Answer Question

NYC Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

The interview was basically done as a group. The two interviewers defined dofferent tasks that the candidates had to do together and then present the results. You were presented with a problem and had to think aloud and talk with other "teachers" to solve the problem. You also had to teach a subject of your choice for a few minutes. At the end, candidates were called in one by one and interviewer went over gheir overal performance.

Interview Questions

• What do you think were some of the weak points in your teaching sample?   1 Answer

Teacher - Alternative Route Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied , but then decided to withdraw, and emailed NYC Teaching Fellow about my decision. NYCTF made numerous emails to me and encouraged me to continue the process .It was well past the last cutoff date and NYCTF could not reach me through my phone ( or maybe they just said taht because a few days later they called and my phone worked fine ) Finally I relented , and agreed to a phone interview. I have been through several interviews in my life , and I know what the expected answers are. A few days after the phone interview I was emailed to check the website , and was informed that I was not accepted . My gut feeling is that NYCTF likes to promote themselves as highly selective . Just as the Ivy League Schools encourage almost anyone to apply ( despite knowing that the student is not qualified , or that there are no slots left) , I felt like i was used by NYCTF to make the corporation appear more selective .

My recommendation is not to play their game because chances are you won't be called . They claim to want to hire minorities and under served populations, but is seems they are hooked on those IVY league degrees, despite their claims of being all inclusive in hiring .

The questions are basically how have you over come hardships in your life? What would you do if a child is disruptive in your classroom? The other questions are very similar in nature to those of Teach For America .

Again , I made it clear that I did not want to continue the application process , but NYCTF literally hounded me until I relented . I was then told after the phone interview that I was not selected and that I could never apply again . DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME, it is a game just like colleges to make NYCTF appear more selective . I had all the qualifications , and answered all the questions correctly ( I have an extensive background in psychology , social work and nursing - believe me I know what they are looking for ) .

Interview Questions

• Have you ever overcame an obstacle ? What was it and how did you do it.   Answer Question

Biology Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (Brooklyn, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

First step: fill out online application (resume, background, answer some essay questions). Step 2: phone interview (some may bypass this process). Step 3: in-person interview where you prepare a 10-15 minute lesson and teach the lesson to another group of interviewees and two assessors.

Interview Questions

• Given the mission of NYC Teaching Fellows, why do you want to join the program and teach in high-need schools in New York City?   1 Answer