NYC Teaching Fellows Teaching Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017

3.5

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (Brooklyn, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Application Portal, Phone interview, Selection Day (Teaching Demo). The process was tedious and took a long time. Also there were a lot of logistical problems with the online portal making the process more complicated.

Interview Questions

• The Questions were generic and easy to answer the difficult part was teaching a lesson in five minutes.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for NYC Teaching Fellows

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Extremely long! The process was unduly arduous. The interview itself was a group interview in a crowded room with many other applicants. The qualification range of applicants was all over the map. The process felt like a lot of "hurry up and wait." I was rushed to upload documents, but then didn't hear back for weeks. During the telephone and in-person/group portions, the interviewers were clearly pressed for time. After the group interview, I decided I would not accept an offer if it were extended. Even when I declined the offer, they continued to contact me.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you give specific directions to a group of teens?   Answer Question

It became clear to me that there was a drill sergeant mentality to the program, and I read numerous negative reviews from current employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Online application: pretty standard, bio info and short answer questions. I bypassed the phone interview and participated in the Selection Day event. I taught a 5-minute sample lesson and participated in a group activity.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

It is long and arduous. The fellowship is extremely slow in terms of providing deadlines for their requirements. Many of these same requirements will be announced last minute. For example, I had 2 weeks to get my fingerprints submitted to the NYC DOE, which was all the more difficult because I was out of state when I applied for this fellowship.

Interview Questions

• How would you address a problematic student in your class?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

The application process itself was pretty standard (essay questions and college transcripts) and completed online. I then had a phone interview and taught a sample lesson in person. The sample lesson was difficult to consolidate into 5 minutes and I was nervous, but so was everyone else who I met and it ended up being a good experience.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult questions during the phone interview were about how I would respond as a teacher to difficult situations with students and families. Think about these beforehand.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (Brooklyn, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

First there is a phone interview that will last above 20 mins. If you are selected for next stage you will be called in for a sample lesson. Its 4 hours long in a group of 5-9 other candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was understandably exhaustive. It takes several months to complete.
    It is definitely a marathon that tests your will to be a teacher. However the city of New York would serve their students better with a more diverse panel of interviewers.

Interview Questions

• One question is: do you think inner city youth deserve the same education as their counterparts?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process can be quite rigorous, as it is a competitive program. However, if you approach the interview with a positive, can-do attitude and a creative mindset, you are more than likely to stand out. There are several other prospective fellows there, all from different backgrounds. Everyone is in the same boat as you, and your interviewers have most likely been through this program as well. Although it might seem like a lot of pressure, take a deep breath, take the time to speak with other interviewees, and pace yourself. My interview was a four hour process, but we had great fun in our classroom together.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online for the position where I was asked to fill in an application and also to answer three questions that were posted on the website. After that, I was invited to a phone interview shortly after, then had to wait 4 weeks to hear back. They said they didn't have a position open for me currently and would get back to me in 6 weeks. They never did.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider to be a successful year as a teacher? How would you ensure that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at NYC Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Initial application was submitted by the first "priority" deadline. It consisted of my resume, two essays and information about my undergraduate coursework. I also indicated preferences for content areas. After a month, I received notice I had been invited to interview.

My interview day consisted of a math test that asked us to analyze possible student responses to math problems and identify which were acceptable answers and reasoning. The math was basic but the test was timed and the questions sometimes needed to be read and reread. Overall, I finished with enough time to check over all my answers.

All interviewees had to prepare a 5 minute lesson. I had to present my lesson in front of the other 4 members of my interview group and 2 NYCTF selectors. Candidates were instructed to participate constructively but selectors asked questions that simulated normal misunderstandings that might happen in your average question.

One of my selectors was very calm and comfortable and set the group at ease but the other seemed quite nervous, ironically. She messed up while giving us instructions a few times, but was overall warm and friendly.

After our lesson presentations we had to prepare a small role play. They gave us a scenario and we had to make a presentation to the school board (or administration, can't recall) and try and gain support for our proposal. Working together to come up with the presentation was easy but our presentation way difficult because we had, I believe, only 3 or so minutes and there were five of us.

Finally, we had one-on-one interviews. I was the last in my group to go and I spoke to my selector for a few minutes after the "official" interview ended. After the interviews the selectors are required to write comments on each of us.

One month later I was notified that they were still considering my application and one month after that I was notified of my acceptance.

Interview Questions

• Before you enter the room for your personal interview, the selector gives everyone a card with feedback on their lesson and you need to redo the first minute of your demo lesson while implementing that feedback.   1 Answer