NYU (New York University) Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

2.6

185 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Associate Professor: School of Professional Studies Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview I had at NYU ranks as one of the worst unprofessional interviews I have ever been on. I had to jump through hoops for several months with panel interviews and one on ones and in the end when NYU was ready to offer me the job I was so frustrated with their behavior. I ran away from the place thinking it was really poorly run and hiring was not a priority or they were not clear about the role.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very high level and they lacked depth in the discipline as most of the folks on the team had been out of the workforce for a while but yet the school prides itself on hiring professionals. Also the culture was very rigid and they were into the process for the process' sake. Many unqualified people to judge the nature of the subject matter. I walked away feeling like even if an A candidate was starring them in the face they would have no ability to recognize it. Very low paying positions compared to what the skills are worth in the industry. SPS is not accredited by AACSB and other major accrediting bodies and it shows. The entire culture seemed run by the seat of the pants and they lacked many qualified people despite the demand for the courses in their program. They really showed me a gross disregard for people. They didn't show teamwork and collaboration and they didn't respond to queries about the status of the process. Very Very Impersonal Place. Gross disregard for people as a critical business/organizational asset.   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY).

Interview

Made me sit in some corner until hiring manager picked me up. Spent 3 minutes with me, and then accompanied me to another guy who was supposed to be some sort of senior in IT (he was a kid almost half my age). Kid bombarded me with all kind of NYU real-life scenarios that naturally I wasn't familiar with, followed by the question "so tell me, what would you have done?". Process lasted about one hour. Never heard back a single word from NYU.

Administrative Outreach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

It was long, confusing and boring. It was mainly, unprofessional. I spent one hour on the phone and another hour and a half in person. People who were hiring seemed very confused. The job wasn't actually that great, but they seemed to be hiring a president. Today, 5 months later, they still haven't hired someone for that position. New York University is something like Department of Motor Vehicles, but in a nicer neighborhood.

Payroll Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY).

Interview

3 interviews with finance, all wonderful.
    Given offer letter by horrid HR department, recinded due to credit check.

Interview Questions

• Why does your Resume say you graduated in 19XX when you actually graduated one year later?   Answer Question
    • Why did your resume state you had 1500 employees at your previous job when it was actual 1460?   Answer Question

Offer recinded due to credit check. This was AFTER they had already given me an offer letter rather than before. So lucky i hadn't given notice!

Assistant Director, Fiscal Affairs, Office of the Provost Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

I submitted my application with resume and cover letter in February 2011. I was then contacted in mid-March for a phone interview for 30 minutes when I was asked a series of questions from the hiring manager. I was then invited to a 1:1 in-person interview with the hiring manager for a 45 minute interview. I was then asked to come back a couple weeks later for a series of interviews with 5 Directors and VP's which took a total of 2+hours. I was then asked to come back the next day for a 1.5 hour Excel and Writing test to prove my skills (I have an MBA from NYU, the hiring school). On the same day as the skills test, I had a conversation with the hiring manager during which time I asked for more detailed explanation of what my daily responsibilities would be, instead of answering the question, I was asked "Well are you going to take the job or not and if you do, are you gonna leave after 6 months which would bring us back to square 1." Alarmed by the hostility, I simply answered "I am still very much interested in the position but not knowing what the salary or benefits are, I would really need more information to take all things under consideration." I was then asked for 3 reference checks and after providing contact info for each, two and a half weeks later, I was told that my references would have to include my current manager even though I had not even received a job offer yet. After expressing that I cannot allow NYU to contact my current manager without an offer of employment, I was then emailed a job offer in May 2011 2+months after my initial phone interview in March 2011. When I asked if the salary and start date were negotiable (10% increase of offer salary and 1 week later of start date), instead of being told that the terms were not negotiable, the job offer was completely rescinded without explanation but the hiring manager made sure that I knew that a hard copy of the "rescission letter" would be sent to my home via USPS even though what had been the offer letter had only been emailed to me (not mailed) just 3 days earlier. I was never referred or given access to an HR PROFESSIONAL through this entire process. The manager who I would have reported directly to if I got the job was my only point of contact for employment negotiations. After taking 3 days out of my current job over the course of 2+months to interview with NYU and take excel/writing tests, I was given an offer of employment and 3 days later it was rescinded without explanation because I reasonably tried to negotiate my terms of employment. I am an NYU alumnus with an MBA from the Stern School of Business. I have never been treated with such disregard and have never wasted my time recruiting like this before.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   1 Answer
    • What are we gonna do if you take the job and leave in 6 months for something better?   1 Answer

Program Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY).

Interview

Very intensive process overall. There were several interviews both on the phone and in person. It included a presentation and meeting with several staff members. It could be intimidating so and challenging so it is definitely necessary to do a lot of preparation.

Interview Questions

• Explain a major project or event that you have worked on and how did you make it successful?   Answer Question

Web Developer/Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

Terrible online application system, but once my application was reviewed and invited to phone and in-person interviews, the hiring group was great, although the HR and payment process took a while.

Graphic Designer Interview

Application

Interview

I first had a phone interview with HR and then I was scheduled for an interview with two people on the team and talked about my work and the skills I've learned. Then briefly talked about the job and the responsibilities. Then after a couple weeks, I was offered a second interview with the head of the department for a Personality Quiz and talked more in detail about the job.

Resident Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

RALI process is super competitive, but it is important to be yourself. Facilitators will know if you are not being genuine. Personal interview will be a great time for candidates to share their thoughts and ask questions. The reflection essays are also an important component to the process.

Interview Questions

• What do you think makes a successful Resident Assistant?   Answer Question

Administrative Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NYU (New York University) (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied through NYU Careers, and about a week or so later received a call from the HR Department of the office I applied for. They assisted in setting up a Phone interview (as I was out of town). I then went through 2 rounds of Phone interviews (with different personnel within the office). I was asked to come in for an in person interview of which there were two separate short interviews (again with different people each time) and then was offered the position a couple of days later.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your organizational and prioritizing skills? Furthermore, what specific things do you do to stay organized and able to handle multiple projects at once?   1 Answer
    • Describe a situation when you had to deal with a difficult client, how did you handle it and was a solution possible? If not, how did you handle assisting the client in light of no solution?   Answer Question
    • What made you want to work for NYU? In New York?   1 Answer
    • What would you like to see in a manager or supervisor?   Answer Question
    • Describe your ideal work atmosphere.   Answer Question