Natera Interview Questions in San Carlos, CA | Glassdoor

Natera Interview Questions in San Carlos, CA

Updated Jan 16, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Natera (San Carlos, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

received a call to set up a time for panel interview. 5 or 6 people show up. They were very friendly and nice. Will ask everything you put on the resume.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here? what animal do you want to be?   Answer Question

Bioinformatician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Natera (San Carlos, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Prescreen, phone screen with upper management, onsite interview. The best way to describe these people is -- incompetent. Numerous emails and phone calls back and forth where I specifically tell them on multiple occasions that I'm on a timeline with an offer. Apparently that doesn't matter so they take atleast 1-2wks to respond following any interaction. Flash forward a month, I get a travel request to interview across the country. I book my travel accommodations after they are insistent that they can not direct bill the expenses. Several days later, I get a call and email after business hours, cancelling the interview because the hiring manager is traveling that week. So now I'm stuck with ~1k is travel arrangements on my personal credit card that Natera won't take responsibility for. I tell them politely that I'm willing to reschedule but that future accommodations will need to be direct billed to the company. A week later, I start getting emails from a new recruiter who says that this is their first week on the job, and that they want to reschedule my interview. Again, I tell them politely that I'm willing to travel but that they will have to make the arrangements. They asked if I was available for a couple of dates, and since then haven't responded in two weeks. AVOID.

Interview Questions

• Can you a little more about how you went about validating your pipelines?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Natera (San Carlos, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Two phone interviews (one general with HR, one technical) followed by a day-long in-person interview. The technical and in-person interviews covered a broad range of technical questions relevant to the job. Follow up from HR was very quick, though the form emails were sometimes confusing (example: after the first phone interview I received an email inviting me to a phone screen without reference to the fact that I had just completed a phone screen and that this one would be a technical interview).

Interview Questions

• Probability (Bayes' Rule, etc), statistics, algorithms, calculus.   Answer Question

Commercial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Natera (San Carlos, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Out of all the biotech company's I have known and worked so far, this qualifies as the absolute worst of all! The right-hand does not know what the left hand is doing which is so obvious even from the interview process.

A recruiter puts me in touch with the team. The person who is about to interview me calls me later than the scheduled time and that too while driving. We talk for 45 mins, but the connection isn’t clear so the call drops. I call back, leave a message but no response. I wait for 30 mins and call again. This time the person picks it up (Of course no decency to return the call!) and says that the phone interview is very positive and will call me for face to face. Ok! Good.

A day later, I get an email from the company confirming the face to face. On the actual day of the interview, 2 hrs. before the scheduled time, I get an email that 1:1 interview is cancelled! No reason provided! I email back to check if it is changed to a later date? Surprisingly, the secretary doesn’t know why it is cancelled! Wow! I get an email from the actual hiring manager (C-level executive) that they already hired someone and I am welcome to apply for a much junior position!! No, Thank you!

If this is the reaction from a C-level executive, I can only wonder how mid-level managers will be interacting with their peers and the team.

The company which doesn’t respect either the people or time is not worth working for! The whole interview process left a very bad taste for me. The reviews by other people are pretty accurate and I will never recommend this company to anyone.

Interview Questions

• General questions- What is your background and experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Natera (San Carlos, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Supervisor, Lead and Department Manager interviewed me. They asked me some general questions like how long did you work for the pervious position? Why did you leave? Are you ok for working over time? Would you like to work on weekend? Do you know anyone working at Natera? What is your short-term and long-term goal? If you got selected, when can you start working?

Interview Questions

• Are you OK about working over time?
      Would you like to work on weekend?
      Are you a detail-oriented person?
      1 Answer

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Natera (San Carlos, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process was smooth and fairly easy. I was contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone call, then was asked to come in for an in person interview. The interview itself was fairly easy and I met 1:1 with all but one person on the team. Overall, I got a good impression of the company and team, but I also read a lot of the reviews here. From my conversations with the team it looks like the company is moving the right direction overall and they are aware of the issues going on. I ended up not pursuing this position, so I did not get an offer, but I think this would be a great place to work in.

Interview Questions

• A lot of behavioral questions such as:
      How do you deal with conflict?
      How do you deal with stress?
      What is your preferred style of communication?
      I was also asked to edit and review a job description.
      Answer Question

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Natera (San Carlos, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

There were three phone interviews: one HR interview, one non-technical conversation with a Data Scientist, and one technical phone interview with a Data Scientist. The technical questions mainly pertained to my background in probability, statistical inference, and numerical modeling. There were also problems to solve, in the vein of discrete probabilities, stochastic signal processing, means, covariances, etc. Overall, the phone interviewers seemed pretty nice.

After the 3 phone interviews, was a day-long onsite, consisting of 5 or 6 technical interviews. Natera is an interesting company, and their data scientists come from a variety of backgrounds. Some are trained physicists, others electrical engineers, others mathematicians, and others computer scientists.
    Each one had his/her own brand of question, and some were quite unhappy when I couldn't solve "easy", "common", or "obvious" questions in the interviewers' respective fields. I got one question that dealt directly with Natera's toughest numerical modeling problems, but the domain was unfamiliar to me, and I gave a prudent first-pass answer, followed with "but I'd have to visualize the data to get a better sense."

The types of technical questions I heard were just as varied as the interviewers' backgrounds, and it seemed like Natera does not really know what it wants in a Data Scientist. I did well with technical questions from the physicist, computer scientist, and electrical engineer, but poorly with questions from the mathematicians. The office seemed frenetic, disorganized, emblematic of a company experiencing growing pains. For a while, an interviewer and I walked around in circles looking for a spare room to conduct the interview, because they didn't have an electronic system to reserve conference rooms.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you have N pieces of rope in a bucket. You reach in and grab one end-piece, then reach in and grab another end-piece, and tie those two together. What is the expected value of the number of loops in the bucket?   2 Answers

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Natera (San Carlos, CA).

Interview

Phone screen by HR followed by phone interview by hiring manager and then on-site interview. The whole process took about 5-6 weeks. Little or no information/feedback provided after each step. Everybody seemed too busy and even the on-site interview felt like it was an inconvenience to people. I was given lunch but no time to eat it.
    Interview questions were OK, some problem solving questions and lots of technical detail (I was asked the same technical questions in the phone interview and at the on-site interview). Didn't seem like much thought had gone into the technical aspects of the interview. The company generally appeared to be disorganized and manic.

Interview Questions

• No really difficult questions, general problem solving and standard technical questions.   Answer Question

Director of Product Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Natera (San Carlos, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Interview process was long. Each interview would repeatedly run too long to ask proper questions for clarity on the role. Everyone had a different description and perspective about the role.

Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Natera (San Carlos, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Received an email, for a phone interview. Scheduled one; where they explained basics of the company and what the job offered. Asked a few questions, then I scheduled an interview. Met with 2 different people for 15 mins each.

Interview Questions

• What are your goals? What can you bring to the company?   Answer Question