National Academy of Sciences Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at National Academy of Sciences

2.8

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at National Academy of Sciences (Washington, DC) in October 2018.

Interview

First you get a phone call that asks you a few questions regarding your interested in the company and why you want to work for them. Then they ask you to come for either 1-1 interview or group interview where you would be asked questions based on your resume and work experience as well as your education and background.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience or work at XYZ company?   1 Answer

Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Academy of Sciences (Washington, DC).

Interview

The entire process from application submission to notification of not being selected was 3 months. The recruiter called for a phone screen about 3 weeks after applying online. About a week after the phone screen I was invited for an on-site interview with the department head and two potential colleague. It took them 6 weeks to notify me after the on-site interview that I was not selected. All 3 interviewers were extremely nice.

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Academy of Sciences.

Interview

During the interview the director and coordinator did most of the talking about themselves and the National Academies. It was not a traditional interview. We BRIEFLY went over my resume.

3 weeks went by and I had not heard back from them. So I contacted them and they told me they were going to continue their search.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Academy of Sciences (Washington, DC) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got a call about 2 weeks later. The recruiter asked me 2 behavioral questions and my availability. Few days later she sent an email asking me to come for an interview. I interviewed with the project supervisor who was very nice. After that, I got an email 2 weeks later asking for email references. They got in touch with my references the same day, and I got the offer for the job the following day. Then I received a package in the mail with an official letter, documentation, and some cool NAS gear.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mostly behavioral. How do you work with people? Tell me an example of how the qualities on your cover letter will make you succeed in the position? She also asked me about one of the things I put on my resume which was an honors program I was in. One very important thing, HAVE QUESTIONS ready. The lady who interviewed me didn't think 4 questions were enough.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They just told me the 15 dollar hourly rate and I was like, sure!

Media Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Academy of Sciences (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

Contacted for a phone interview, then an in-person interview, which was with three different people, and then a panel of a few people. The individuals I spoke with were personable, but you will be expected to know a lot about NAS. The whole process -- from resume submission to final answer -- took about two months.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about [insert interesting thing on resume] and how it relates to this position?   Answer Question

Media Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Academy of Sciences (Washington, DC).

Interview

Everyone I met was very friendly, but there was a lack of professionalism in the process. I met with the head of the department, three higher-ups, the other media assistant, and the HR representative. The actual interview was good and I enjoyed all the conversations. After the interview, I received an email from the HR rep asking me back for another interview and listing possible times. After I had responded with the time that worked, he recalled the email and said he appreciated my interest, but that they were still deliberating and that I was premature in responding. Except that I had gotten an email about a second interview that listed dates, so of course I responded to it. Weeks went by and I never heard back, and I didn't get a response until I followed up. When I did, it was a canned response. I can't help but wonder if the email confusion was a part of the reason I didn't get the position, which would suck because it was a goof on the part of the HR rep who didn't own up to it. Plus, I think it's super rude not to let someone know who has taken two hours of their time to interview in person that they didn't get the job. At least give them closure.

Media Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at National Academy of Sciences.

Interview

There were a couple in-person interviews, both with HR and with the team. Meeting with the team was nice, but HR lied about a training program and said that they were offering one amount, then switched back to another amount with yet another lie about when there would be a raise. Be sure to get everything in writing, or else you'll be stuck in a job where you're paid $10,000 less than what the job is supposed to pay.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you with social media and branding?   Answer Question

Senior Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at National Academy of Sciences (Washington, DC) in December 2018.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone screen several weeks after applying for the position. I was then asked to come in for an in-person interview to meet with two potential colleagues and the overall director of the program. The meet and greet with the potential colleagues went fine, pretty basic Q&A and they seemed nice. The meeting with the director was ridiculous. He asked me how I felt about not having experience with some aspects of the job, which were not listed on the job description, and seemed to expect me to justify why I was present at the interview. It was very awkwardly handled and not a position that any applicant should have to be put in. If the experience listed on a resume is not sufficient for the position then there is no need to bring the candidate in for an interview. It was clear when I walked out of the final meeting that they were looking for someone with more specialized experience than was listed in the job description and overall I felt that they wasted both my time and theirs - simply ridiculous.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Academy of Sciences (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

It was very lengthy. I had a total of 6 interviews. Two phone interviews with a panel. . Two panel interviews in person and two one on one interviews. They lasted about an hour each.

Interview Questions

• Related to your ability to do the duties and responsibilities. Examples of your experience   Answer Question

Felt position was not a good fit.

Senior Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Academy of Sciences (Washington, DC).

Interview

This was an internal hire. Sometimes, it works to one's benefit to follow-up with Human Resources because I discovered they did NOT forward my application as they said they would. Be thorough in your follow-up when dealing with HR.

Interview Questions

• Why should I hire you for this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

For external hires, there is minimal negotiation aside from your start date. For internal hires, you may be able to negotiate taking a merit increase with you if you would have earned one by staying in your old position. Taking your merit increase in critical because merit increases are a paltry 1-3%, which nearly covers Metro transportation rates, but you earned it and have a right to request it.