National Geographic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 23, 2017

2.5

Junior Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

The process has been poisoned with non-existent communication. I was brought in through an employee referral, asked basic questions and told they were looking to hire immediately and I was looking to start immediately. According to the hiring manager, my education, qualifications and experience matched me up with the job; this hire should have been a no-brainer. After following up three times with no answer, I had to track down the hiring manager's superior to get a follow-up interview 8 weeks later in which I was asked the same questions. Nobody had seen my work. It was an enormous waste of time. I never heard back, even after following up. It was all very informal. Pinnacle of unprofessionalism.

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous editing experience? Are you a fast editor? What kind of documentaries have you worked on?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was asked on a phone interview. The phone interview was just chatting with the interviewer. Then I was asked to either come into the head quarter in DC or do a Skype interview. I chose Skype interview and there were 4 people who interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to do when you graduate? What did you learn and experience from the previous job?   Answer Question

Video Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Geographic in May 2016.

Interview

Had a phone call that went well and he asked mostly about my video production experience. I asked some questions about what the job would be like. It was very conversational and easy to get along with him. He told me about the position specifics and said he would get back to me soon.

Travel Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic in April 2016.

Interview

I sent in an application and was contacted for an interview about 2 weeks later. Set up a phone interview, which took about 30 minutes. The interviewer genuinely seemed interested in what I had to say and cared about what my actual personality was like. She said she'd have a final answer for me in two weeks and was true to her word -- didn't get the offer but she sent a kind email about it.

Geographer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Surprisingly unprofessional for an institution like the National Geographic Society. I had a very casual 20 minute phone conversation with a manager. I was one of three finalists and was told I should hear either way in 1-2 weeks, but never heard from them again and my inquiries went unanswered.

I assume they had a more qualified candidate, but a simple email note informing me and thanking me for applying would have left me with a better impression.

Assistant Editor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at National Geographic.

Interview

We talked about the job description, my previous experience and I was shown around the office where I met everyone. It was very casual and everyone was friendly. The entire process was around 45 minutes.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied online, called for a phone interview a month later. They put the position on hold for a couple of weeks for admin reasons (while keeping applicants in the loop, which they didn't have to do). About a month later, I was brought in for a face-to-face with would-be supervisors, phone interview with HR a couple of days later, and in-person round of interviews with a C-suite the next day. From the first in-person interview to offer, it was about a week.

After they asked a couple of skill questions (two or three, not that many) and saw I had the skill set for the position, it shifted almost entirely to personality and situations. They really care about fit at Nat Geo, and that was evident from the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience where you believe you failed and what you learned from it   Answer Question

Assistant Manager, Digital Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was called to come in for an interview 12 days later. I did a 20 min. phone interview with the Manager I'd be working with before my in-person interview. I then met with the Manager and Director at the DC headquarters. The meeting was positive, they were both friendly.

Interview Questions

• Name three things that you feel make you the most qualified for this position.   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Geographic.

Interview

Slow and lengthy process. I was contacted 4 months after I applied. Then I went through a series of Skype interviews with different department directors. I got the job, but I had to wait one month for HR to approve all the paperwork.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Interview

Easy enough on line application.had a phone interview first-very friendly, thought it went well. I flew to DC for an interview (on my own dollar). Interviewed with 2 other junior members of the team, hiring manager, another senior manager and the EVP. All were very nice people. They are definitely trying to get the right person in the job which is great. Despite following up, I never heard from them again which seemed unprofessional and disrespectful to me for having interviewed someone.